• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Gamasche = spat
stiefelette = half boot

Please remove the hooks. You are not a toddler.

Stiefel = boot
Stiefelette = ankle boot (diminutive of Stiefel)

But, heck, in English they are all called 'boots'.

Remove the hooks if you like. Just don't say I didn't warn you as you struggle to get the boots on and off. Notice the way some of the boots in the 1896 catalogue have hooks too.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Vicuna topcoat--only $10.50.

I tried converting to modern currency:

In 2005, $10.50 from 1899 is worth:
\t$255.06 \tusing the Consumer Price Index
\t$221.68 \tusing the GDP deflator
\t \tusing the value of consumer bundle *
\t$1,204.82 \tusing the unskilled wage
\t$1,693.95 \tusing the nominal GDP per capita
\t

It's hard to say which one of those is most accurate but I guess under $1000 sounds about right.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I tried converting to modern currency:

In 2005, $10.50 from 1899 is worth:
\t$255.06 \tusing the Consumer Price Index
\t$221.68 \tusing the GDP deflator
\t \tusing the value of consumer bundle *
\t$1,204.82 \tusing the unskilled wage
\t$1,693.95 \tusing the nominal GDP per capita
\t

It's hard to say which one of those is most accurate but I guess under $1000 sounds about right.

Under a K is very cheap for a Vicuna topcoat.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stiefel = boot Stiefelette = ankle boot (diminutive of Stiefel) But, heck, in English they are all called 'boots'.
laugh.gif
Remove the hooks if you like. Just don't say I didn't warn you as you struggle to get the boots on and off. Notice the way some of the boots in the 1896 catalogue have hooks too.
We had the discussion about the hooks/loops on Chelseas a few days back. As long as you are confident with the fit, they are somewhat a humbug. But yeah, at the end of the day, they are not visible through your trousers, if they are not tapered.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
We had the discussion about Chelseas a few days back. As long as you are confident with the fit they are somewhat a humbug.

I think the good old Chelsea boot is a classic which deserves more respect. The more I think about it the more I realise they are a very traditional and basic dress boot. They have origins in the 19th century as a proper and correct dress boot. In this regard, they deserve a place in the pantheon of dress boots alongside button boots and Oxfords.

This is taken from an 1896 catalogue:

chelseaboots1896jv6.jpg

Here are some even older historical examples:

elasticatedboots19thccx1.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the good old Chelsea boot is a classic which deserves more respect. The more I think about it the more I realise they are a very traditional and basic dress boot. They have origins in the 19th century as a proper and correct dress boot. In this regard, they deserve a place in the pantheon of dress boots alongside button boots and Oxfords.

Great post, as always.

PS: Pls reread the hooks
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
JohnApril's Shannon Boots.....

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
What/who is the best source for Shannons, in terms of selection and price? If I cannot try them on in person somewhere, I would need a pretty excellent return/exchange policy.

Also, if they don't come standard, could a decent cobbler slap on some Vibram soles?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
What/who is the best source for Shannons, in terms of selection and price? If I cannot try them on in person somewhere, I would need a pretty excellent return/exchange policy.

I believe they are MTO only, and no one, anywhere, stocks them. They aren't even stocked at the EG flagship store in London. Also, returns on MTO shoes are pretty much impossible. At most, if the fit was way off, you could send them back and have them relasted, but they will charge you. You're best bet is to find a place that stocks EG, try on regular shoes, note the size and last that fits you best, and then order Shannon accordingly. I recommend LeatherSoul in Hawaii for EG MTO orders.

Also, if they don't come standard, could a decent cobbler slap on some Vibram soles?
Green will put rubber soles on at the factory.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You probably will have difficulties finding a shop anywhere, and that includes the Jermyn Street store, who keeps the "˜Shannon' in stock. It's not likely to be EG's bestseller (apart from this forum here).

You can place an order and have them made for you, once you have established your size in Edward Green shoes. They can be made in the colour and sole (rubber if you want) of your choice.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm curious to know why so many people order EG MTOs through LeatherSoul rather than simply calling the London store directly. I would imagine LeatherSoul would be a bit more expensive. Am I incorrect?

Panzer

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Tax free Shannon boots are 585 pounds.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
JohnApril's Shannon Boots.....

are these OLIVE????
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads