• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean Question

usctrojan99

Reaction score
My favorite jeans are stitch's, 575, and AG. I've owned TRs and Sevens and I am not a fan of those. I've worn a couple levi premiums but grew out of them, and thought about checking them out again.

I just got a pair of PBJ because I liked the quality and the fit. I actually have been wearing them quite a bit on the weekends. I have a pair of limited edition Neighborhood Kneel Down Savage jeans and love them, but can't really wear them out to a cocktail party. Also, I have a pair of Dsquared jeans that are extremely comfortable but also more casual looking. So right now, my rotation is AG (probably my favorite as they fit like a glove), PBJ, 575, Stitch's, Neighborhood, and Dsquared.

So my question...

I am looking for a pair of relaxed/loose fit jeans that are soft and lightweight. Color preferably darker. Preferably ones that will look good with a blazer and dress shoes. Also, I'd like to keep the price under $250 (but, ideally under $175). Are there are any "other" brands you guys can recommend?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
PC Rescues sound like exactly like what you want. They're a regular-loose fit straight leg jean in a nice deep color. They're relatively lightweight too. Size down 2 on them. Trust me, it won't make them tight or anything, because APCs stretch out a bunch. This will just make it so the waist won't be way too big for you after a week of wear. They already come a size too big, and sizing down 1 more to account for more than usual stretching.

usctrojan99

Reaction score
Chronoaug,
Thanks for the heads up. No one sells APC out here in Phoenix (or not that I know of). I passed by a store in LA that had them, but never tried them on. I'll definitely check them out. Thanks!!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are 575's like? i find it impossible to do a search on this brand.

btw - is the search thing having problems - i just pumped in 575, and 575's, and it should have at least pulled up this thread. but it didn't. i'm guessing it doesn't search for numbers?

also, is there a way to limit the search so that if i put in two or three words, it looks for those words in a single post?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy

I have a pair of 575 jeans (really, they're all basically the same.) Very thin and lycra-y. Nice, but I'm not sure if they're built for the ages.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy

btw - is the search thing having problems - i just pumped in 575, and 575's, and it should have at least pulled up this thread. but it didn't. i'm guessing it doesn't search for numbers?

also, is there a way to limit the search so that if i put in two or three words, it looks for those words in a single post?

575s are analogous to AG/TR/7FAM/R&R/COH...

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes
www.575denim.com

yeah, i found the website earlier, but i was looking more for opinion by SF'rs and less for where they were listed. It's not like 575 is gonna say anything other than their jeans are great, yada yada yada.

Originally Posted by tagutcow
I have a pair of 575 jeans (really, they're all basically the same.) Very thin and lycra-y. Nice, but I'm not sure if they're built for the ages.

Originally Posted by drizzt3117

thanks.....

usctrojan99

Reaction score

I would respectfully disagree that 575 are analagous to AG/TR/7FAM/R&R/COH. I think the fit and look is completely different. That's like saying Pure Blue Japan is like NBHD/Samurai/APC/Nudie etc.. That would be wrong as well. My 575 are not "lyrca-y" either. I find 575 to fit better and have a better wash than any of the jeans above. Also, There is one AG style that fits me perfectly. They are inconspicuous unlike TRs/COH/R&R.

I think you should check them out and try them before making an amateurish comment like that. You lose all credibility in my book by grouping these jeans with 5 others. My personal opinion of course. I'm just making a mental note to disregard your posts drizzt3117.

usctrojan99

Reaction score

That's like saying guys who wear skinny/slim cut jeans are not masculine.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojan99
I would respectfully disagree that 575 are analagous to AG/TR/7FAM/R&R/COH. I think the fit and look is completely different. That's like saying Pure Blue Japan is like NBHD/Samurai/APC/Nudie etc.. That would be wrong as well. My 575 are not "lyrca-y" either. I find 575 to fit better and have a better wash than any of the jeans above. Also, There is one AG style that fits me perfectly. They are inconspicuous unlike TRs/COH/R&R.

I think you should check them out and try them before making an amateurish comment like that. You lose all credibility in my book by grouping these jeans with 5 others. My personal opinion of course. I'm just making a mental note to disregard your posts drizzt3117.

I think you'll find that quite a few people on here, myself included, would disagree with you. 575 is associated with "premium" denim and can usually be found in the same stores that sell the brands drizzt listed; I'm pretty sure that was his point. Fits and washes may be one thing, but those jeans are marketed and sold similarly to the others on the list. In context of this forum, I think it's easy to group APC/Nudie/etc. as they're focusing on a similar concept, one that is completely different from those so-called "mall brands." It's in that respect that I'd sure group PBJ with Sammy or John Bull or any other repro and it's not coincidental that I've just listed some of BiG's inventory, even if they all have different fits.

usctrojan99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I think you'll find that quite a few people on here, myself included, would disagree with you. 575 is associated with "premium" denim and can usually be found in the same stores that sell the brands drizzt listed; I'm pretty sure that was his point. Fits and washes may be one thing, but those jeans are marketed and sold similarly to the others on the list.

In context of this forum, I think it's easy to group APC/Nudie/etc. as they're focusing on a similar concept, one that is completely different from those so-called "mall brands." It's in that respect that I'd sure group PBJ with Sammy or John Bull or any other repro and it's not coincidental that I've just listed some of BiG's inventory, even if they all have different fits.

Funny thing..is that the place I go to in LA sells Nudie Jeans right next to AGs and TRs. Perhaps in your neck of the woods you may feel differently. I would say TR/COH/RR are marketed very similar and found at similar places. That I will agree.

Barneys sells Nudie and Samurai jeans. I think there is so much competition and desire to be different that jeans with "the similar concept" will be easily had at your local Barneys, Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales in the next year or so. My friend is a buyer at a high end department store and he's putting orders in for japanese denim as we speak for his store in SF.

I don't have much allegiance to 575. I only wear what fits me, comfortable, and personally looks good. Some people like the slim cut look (not me), some think japanese wear is the only way to go (not me), and some people can appreciate different brands and styles and spice it up (me). I'm not a TR fan, but if someone wants to wear it, I don't look at it any less than some guy who wears Nudie or some other japanese selvedge jean. I just find it amusing when those "similar concept" people have a superiority complex- my "japanese jean of the month is better than your local mall jean" attitude comes across to me as very moronic and lame.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this topic.

usctrojan99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I think you'll find that quite a few people on here, myself included, would disagree with you. 575 is associated with "premium" denim and can usually be found in the same stores that sell the brands drizzt listed; I'm pretty sure that was his point. Fits and washes may be one thing, but those jeans are marketed and sold similarly to the others on the list.

In context of this forum, I think it's easy to group APC/Nudie/etc. as they're focusing on a similar concept, one that is completely different from those so-called "mall brands." It's in that respect that I'd sure group PBJ with Sammy or John Bull or any other repro and it's not coincidental that I've just listed some of BiG's inventory, even if they all have different fits.

That's a shame..i guess your credibility is lost to me as well
frown.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojan99

I was actually being nice by grouping them in that bucket. I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by my experiences with 575 denim in the past. While some of the manufacturers I've listed make some decent cuts/fits (especially AG/R&R) 575 typically has distressing that looks patently unnatural, has uninspired cuts, and low quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads