• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating in DC

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a TGIFriday's in Foggy Bottom -- do they still have the $12.99 appetizer + main dish + dessert special? I'm wondering how good a full meal for that cheap can be.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
There's a TGIFriday's in Foggy Bottom -- do they still have the $12.99 appetizer + main dish + dessert special? I'm wondering how good a full meal for that cheap can be.
The service sucks there...

migo

Reaction score

+1 on crappy service...order your food a week in advance and you might get it when you want...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
+1 on crappy service...order your food a week in advance and you might get it when you want...

yup
that place blows

Reaction score
Surprised by the lack of Ethiopian in this thread. Maybe it's just my U St. bias, but DC does Ethiopian better than any other American city--and that's the only fare you can say that about in DC!

Etete on 9th and U is my favorite, Dukem is consistently good, and I've heard great things about Rome. Also, Selam is a little Eritrean restaurant on 15th and U that I can't personally recommend because my experience wasn't that great, but I've heard raves from others.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio
Surprised by the lack of Ethiopian in this thread. Maybe it's just my U St. bias, but DC does Ethiopian better than any other American city--and that's the only fare you can say that about in DC!

Etete on 9th and U is my favorite, Dukem is consistently good, and I've heard great things about Rome. Also, Selam is a little Eritrean restaurant on 15th and U that I can't personally recommend because my experience wasn't that great, but I've heard raves from others.

It's funny you brought this up. My gf was just saying earlier today that there seems to be a bunch of Ethiopian restaurants in the area. We've gone by Zed's on M St. numerous times. We'll probably stop by in the next week or two. Right now, I'm on a mission to look for some down home cooking Jamaican food. yummm....

abc123

Reaction score
Lots of good advice here, I'll just add a few places I havn't sen mentioned yet that I've enojyed in the past. These are all in Georgetown, I generally don't get up the energy to explore for restaurants elsewhere.

The Tombs is my favorite restaurant to go to - it might be a bit strange if you're not a Gtown student (its right by the campus, at 36th and prospect), but its a relaxed atmosphere, and the food is tasty. Solid burger for 7 or 8 bucks. Brunch is great there too.

If you're up for an expensive night out, 1789 is right upstairs of tombs, and its good (but again, expensive).

My favorite pizza place is Pizzaria Paradiso, on M street (around 33rd street I think). There's also a location in Dupont, but I've never been to that one. They also are supposed to have a great selection of beers in the new basement section, but I havn't tried that out yet.

Quick Pita is another hole in the wall type place, across the street from Dean and Deluca on M street. Its middle eastern type food - I don't know much about that style of food, but it tastes good to me and its cheap also.

Speaking of dean and Deluca, their sushi is cheap, and is a nice picnic type lunch meal for a reasonable price. On a nice day, I like to pick up some of it, and head down to the old aquaduct remains that overlook the Potomac (off the C&O canal, right by the bridge) - a nice lunch date.

I also really like the block on Prospect street that has Bankok Bistro, Peacock Cafe, Cafe Milano, Neyla, and Mortons - all are great restaurants - if I am not sure where I want to go for dinner, I usually wander over there and go to whichever strikes my fancy - never been let down.

Mein Yu is a bit of a funky place on M street - its an Asian/american fusion type place. I ate there once and loved it, though it is both a bit pricy and the atmosphere is...different. Worth a shot, you'll probably love it or hate it.

abc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It's funny you brought this up. My gf was just saying earlier today that there seems to be a bunch of Ethiopian restaurants in the area. We've gone by Zed's on M St. numerous times. We'll probably stop by in the next week or two. Right now, I'm on a mission to look for some down home cooking Jamaican food. yummm....

Zed's was pretty bad the one time I went there - very bland.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on two places I've just visited on M St.

Vietnam Georgetown - decent food, but dumbed down for the locals. They serve their noodles without any of the extra veggies that you would normally find at a Pho restaurant. The broth is okay, but the portion is a bit small. Overall, I wouldn't go there unless I was desperate. Authentic Vietnamese restaurants are just a few miles away at Falls Church.

Cafe Mon Cheri - went there based on recommendation of a bar bouncer. I had a gyro, my gf a burger, and her friend another gyro. All of the food were good, and relatively cheap too. The beef was well marinated, tender and juicy. It was perfect with everything else. The place was a little crazy at 3am, but this is to be expected as the bars let out. I'd certainly go back for a tasty gyro even when I'm not drunk.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
My favorite pizza place is Pizzaria Paradiso, on M street (around 33rd street I think). There's also a location in Dupont, but I've never been to that one. They also are supposed to have a great selection of beers in the new basement section, but I havn't tried that out yet.

I've heard good things about this place, especially on their beer selection. It's definitely on the to-do list.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Georgetown is a tourist trap. With some exceptions (e.g., Citronelle, 1789), the food available in Georgetown can be had for better elsewhere in the city.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Georgetown is a tourist trap.

That's my general feeling about the place. I go there because it's convenient. Sometimes we're just too lazy go put more efforts into finding food.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pizza Paradiso in Gtown is much better than the one near Dupont Circle IMO.

Blue Duck Tavern in the new Park Hyatt= outstanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads