• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do the English Dress So Horridly?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
the ugly, hairy feet of men in sandals.
Speak for yourself. I keep my feet, often complemented for their beauty, well maintained and pedicured.
blush.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Speak for yourself. I keep my feet, often complemented for their beauty, well maintained and pedicured.
blush.gif

rolleyes.gif

Oh, and you meant "complimented."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Men in sandals ,especially with socks ,must be all shot at dawn......
Only exception:priests and Monks on religious ground

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the original topic. Probably iamatt isn't getting to see most of the better dressed Englishmen because they're not wandering aimlessly on the street. The same is true in NYC where most of the better dressed men are either indoors making decisions or getting driven from place to place; maybe even in an effort to avoid tourists.
smile.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Getting back to the original topic. Probably iamatt isn't getting to see most of the better dressed Englishmen because they're not wandering aimlessly on the street. The same is true in NYC where most of the better dressed men are either indoors making decisions or getting driven from place to place; maybe even in an effort to avoid tourists.
smile.gif

Yes this is also true... you see them however at noon when they go for lunch or at 6pm rushing home...

... or maybe they are inside their mansions and castles

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After this lenghty thread , i was paying special attention today with my wife to the sartorial models on offer in Canterbury....
Canterbury is a posh town with university and plenty of middle class people to put the record straight,far from the social mix of where i live...
30% of men were wearing football tops ,and i'm not exagerating to put my case across,another 50% were casual but not chic .....
The rest was more fashion conscious from students with flip-flop/shorts to goths or trendy punk-rockers...
I was actually looking very overdressed with my linen suit and my open white shirt...
crackup[1].gif

London is not England ,my friends and Savile Row is not London.....
there is a difference between myth and reality ,i'm afraid............

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The all tracksuit culture is alive and kicking in England....
Men covered with tattoos wearing football tops are legion and more common than the Savile row suited gentleman...
London is a very cosmopolitan town and is still the fashion beacon in Britain but believe me ,you're taking the risk of the worst cultural shock of your life is you're getting out of Mayfair.....
I have been to LA ,Miami and New-York and i have found more fashion vista there than in London.....
Do not get me wrong ,i do actually love London ,even if my English does actually hate the place ...The shops on offer are stunning and all designers are present on this attractive market.....
Mayfair,Savile row ,Jermyn street have plenty to offer to the City boys keen on over indulging on fine clothing....
Are we talking Nick Foulkes or the average Joe Bloke English man in the street ?Believe me the average English have absolutely no sartorial sense at all and are maybe the worst dressed in Europe...

offline100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
The all tracksuit culture is alive and kicking in England....
Men covered with tattoos wearing football tops are legion and more common than the Savile row suited gentleman...

This should not be even slightly surprising. Does anyone really expect there to be *more* bespoke suits on the street than working class gear? This is akin to saying "what? all the women in Tokyo don't wear kimonos? There are more baseball caps than sombreros in Mexico City!?"

Many people in London dress extremely well. But if all your life you've thought of England as one big episode of Masterpiece Theater, you're bound to be disappointed when you visit.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do not. The dress appropriately to the occasion in English terms. One day shorts/tee-shirt/JB, the next Anderson and Shepherd three piece, They are neither clothes horses nor prissy about wearing some dreadful sack suit to go to the super market.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which planet are you coming from?
I live in an average 50000 inhabitants south-east town and the best you will find is a Debenhams 200 pounds suit....
One person was right ,bespoke is the apanage of the happy few and if you're coming to England and expecting to see Hunstman suits in every streets ,you will have a heart attack...
Stop being delusional with some idea of grandeur, have a coffee in any corner of the south-east ,the rich commuter-belt and look around you...
Football tops are beating even the casual look flip/flop tee-shirts...
Go up north and it's even worse...
They call me overdress because i'm wearing a linen suit for an evening party and i can assure you that i'm the only one in a big international transport comapny to have any sartorial worries ....The England from the Archers is not exactly what you will mixed with in your everyday life....
Stop kidding yourself or stuck with your gentle mary ppoppins idea of a country who has changed a lot...
P.S: I do live and work in England for more than 10 years and live in a docile place of Kent,not in any rough London borough or Liverpool...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matt,
I thiink what you are seeing has as much to do with the development of your eye and taste for cloth and fit. Don't know how long you have been having clothes made but I am sure your taste level and awareness of fitting issues has grown substantially since you began.
Often after making someone their first custom suit they come back and say how poorly the other men in their office dress. They notice rumpled shoulders, collars that don't hug, etc.. Things they never noticed pryor to getting a suit that fits and they become aware of the possibilities. Some men have worn ill fitting clothing for so long they have accepted that as the way jackets or trousers or shirts fit. Many have never ventured past the department store experience.

Men dress poorly everywhere. Two simple reasons. They just don't know or care to know a better way to dress and they aren't comfortable in tailored clothing because they don't how clothes should fit or how to get clothing to fit properly. Men don't want to wear clothing they are not comfortable in, so they don't dress.
Comfort wins over propriety.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Europeans drive less than Americans, and air conditioning is less popular in Europe than in the USA. That's probably why sandals are more common in Europe.

Britons do often have bad teeth, due to problems with the health care system. They aren't known for general physical attractiveness, either. Therefore, it's possible that that gives many a "why bother" attitude toward dressing well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads