• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Blue in Green Soho for the first time...

bigskydream

Reaction score
Which jeans should I check out?

I currently have, and love, APC NS, 5ep LDB rigid, and Nudie SS.

I like a medium to medium/low rise, slightly slim, and straight leg or slightly tapered.

Thanks.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
You'd probably like the Studio D'artisan 103. It sounds right up your alley actually. Really nice textured japanese denim, and the fit seems pretty much exactly what you described. You also might like the Eternal 811 which is about a medium rise, with a slightly slim straight leg and some incredible looking denim/color. Samurais are great to as it sounds like you'd really like the s5000 or s500. Just talk to gordon or whoever else is working there and describe to them your preferences and mabe ask about the jeans i mentioned and they'll do everything they can to help you out with the different fits and sizing. They're really great.

edit: i'll make a list that sound like what you're looking for
Samurai s5000
Samurai s0500
Studio D'artisan 103
Eternal 811
Skull 5507

Sizing is weird sometimes because some of them are raw unsanforized and will be much bigger in the store and will shrink to tag size when you hotsoak them. They have started carrying one wash jeans that have the same properties of raw jeans but will fit right out of the box and just make your life easier.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigskydream
Which jeans should I check out?

I currently have, and love, APC NS, 5ep LDB rigid, and Nudie SS.

Why don't you think outside of the (denim) box?

bigskydream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Why don't you think outside of the (denim) box?

What exactly do you mean? I think the three jeans I currently have are all relatively different in terms of fit, quality, color, etc.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Don't worry about it man. I think he just just ribbing you because they're basically the first brands this forum reccomends and you wanted reccomendations for jeans that fit just like the jeans you already have.

BiG carries jeans only found in japan and one other store in the US(selfedge in san fransisco). There's nothing wrong with the fit you're going for. I don't know how old you are, what your style normally is, or where you wear your jeans and so on. Based just what you're looking for measurement wise, the jeans i listed should work.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I guess it's that I only own 3 pairs of jeans and don't see myself buying anymore when there are so many other trousers options out there.

bigskydream

Reaction score
I guess it's that I only own 3 pairs of jeans and don't see myself buying anymore when there are so many other trousers options out there.

Got it SoCal2NYC. You're right...I do need to work on the non-denim side of my wardrobe.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
While I only need 3...I don't see why anyone needs more than 4-5.

chronoaug

Reaction score
I guses it depends on your age and everything. I'm only 21 so i don't have as much need for lots of trousers. I also don't want more than 3-4 pairs of jeans(one of them grey. i will find those faded black apcs!), a pair of slim khakis, and a pair of some other casual pants.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

How many suits and sportscoats do you have? I like to wear the same articles of clothing (including jeans) over and over but some posters might be different, why the restriction on the number of jeans?

An ideal number of jeans for my taste is around 4 but I have a few redundent pairs:
1 skinny pair (blue) = DH19CM made in japan
1 skinny pair (black) = Cloak black stripped selvedge
1 slim pair (blue) = 45RPM Jomons + APC New Standards
1 slim pair (black) = Acne + Levi 514

tljenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
You'd probably like the Studio D'artisan 103. It sounds right up your alley actually. Really nice textured japanese denim, and the fit seems pretty much exactly what you described. You also might like the Eternal 811 which is about a medium rise, with a slightly slim straight leg and some incredible looking denim/color. Samurais are great to as it sounds like you'd really like the s5000 or s500. Just talk to gordon or whoever else is working there and describe to them your preferences and mabe ask about the jeans i mentioned and they'll do everything they can to help you out with the different fits and sizing. They're really great.

edit: i'll make a list that sound like what you're looking for
Samurai s5000
Samurai s0500
Studio D'artisan 103
Eternal 811
Skull 5507

Sizing is weird sometimes because some of them are raw unsanforized and will be much bigger in the store and will shrink to tag size when you hotsoak them. They have started carrying one wash jeans that have the same properties of raw jeans but will fit right out of the box and just make your life easier.

Perfect answer. You're looking for an SDA 103 or Samurai s0500.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Fuuma
How many suits and sportscoats do you have? I like to wear the same articles of clothing (including jeans) over and over but some posters might be different, why the restriction on the number of jeans?

Amen.

If you're not into denim and don't understand the hobby, why post in the section of a forum dedicated to it? I just don't see the quality of advice you're giving a guy who's asking for help with jeans.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Age, life stage, job and stuff play a big role though. As a 21 year old i wear more jeans and casual pants, and i don't even own a suit or anything i could wear that's dressy right now(i had stuff but before i joined the forum and now i see they fit like garbage bags). I have only been in a situation once in the past year, when i went to a nice opera(the marriage of figaro), where i needed something dressy. I put something appropriate together although i wasn't proud of the fit. I'm going to get something to remedy that, but at my stage in life, it's not a big deal.

Buy what makes you happy. Even though, i'm not buying anymore heavy japanese jeans till october/november, i'm gonna go to BiG when i go up north just to lust after things. It's fun to do the same at the 45rpm store which is further down the road from BiG(is it on greene or the street next to it?).

Also, on whatever main road that is next to 45rpm(i'm not good with ny roads), if you keep going slightly north on that road there is this little fruit/snack stand on that side that sell pomegranate seeds in a little tub for like $3.50 and they're absolutely fantastic. I don't know how many people have just had the seeds before, but you chew on the seeds to get the juice membrane to break around it, and you can chew the seeds with it. Un-*******-believable.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I guses it depends on your age and everything. I'm only 21 so i don't have as much need for lots of trousers.

I'm 23.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
How many suits and sportscoats do you have? I

Suits about 8 and sportcoats/blazers/jackets about 20. All completely different...not all based on a different shade of grey, black or blue in the same material.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads