• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass special order opinions

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Really?

I think I just paid about the same with Budapester Schule - maybe Eiko doesn't like me...

Does your bank charge $1.5 per Euro?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Does your bank charge $1.5 per Euro?
That's not where Dollar - Euro is at?

Now I feel taken advantage of.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
That's not where Dollar - Euro is at?

Now I feel taken advantage of.

Let's just say that is well north of what I've been paying.

tailorrmade

Reaction score
Per www.xe.com which is an EXCELLENT website for currency conversion, the Euro is 1.34589:1 to the dollar right now.

FYI, the price I was quoted was $850US including trees, customs, duties and shipping.

Aportnoy, if this is more than you are used to spending, please do tell!!! Share the love buddy!

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorrmade
Per www.xe.com which is an EXCELLENT website for currency conversion, the Euro is 1.34589:1 to the dollar right now.

So confusing. It would be easier if they'd just fix those "FX" rates rather than letting them move around all over the place.

Originally Posted by tailorrmade
FYI, the price I was quoted was $850US including trees, customs, duties and shipping.

Aportnoy, if this is more than you are used to spending, please do tell!!! Share the love buddy!

Seriously though, I can't quite remember but I think I paid around 800 w/ trees.

If Andrew has a non-wholesale source that's cheaper I'd love to hear about it - especially if the ECB isn't planning on pausing. (Darn you, Jean-Claude!)

To Chris's question, I don't know if I'll stay with the U-last. Wore my first pair for the first time yesterday and they seemed pointy. But that may be just because I'm used to Alden & Peals. I think I'm going to try the F- or maybe R-last the next time I go in for some Vass.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
But not in my size though. I know because I have rung them to ask about the Gamaschenstiefeletten. Maybe I will have to go to Maftei instead and then I can have my Sachertort with an Einspänner too.

I just passed by at ZAK, so I didn't check their sizes in stock. You should try Maftei. I think you like and appreciate their work and their last shapes are compelling with your taste.

Sachertorte and Einspänner. It seems to be, you like whipped cream.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Einspanner. Mmm...

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update...

This is what I ended up ordering:

Old English II
F Last (Size 43 EU)
Oxblood Boxcalf
Beveled Waist
Metal Toe Tap
Three Piece Shoe Trees

Now for the wait! It should take about two months or so. I'll take some pics when they arrive. I still really want the same shoe in antique cognac as well. Hopefully this order will fit well so I can order more.

Chris

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
Update...

This is what I ended up ordering:

Old English II
F Last (Size 43 EU)
Oxblood Boxcalf
Beveled Waist
Metal Toe Tap
Three Piece Shoe Trees

Now for the wait! It should take about two months or so. I'll take some pics when they arrive. I still really want the same shoe in antique cognac as well. Hopefully this order will fit well so I can order more.

Chris

That is EXACTLY my next Vass order, except I'll be a 44 in the F last - good call. Did you order the Crispin's?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
I just passed by at ZAK, so I didn't check their sizes in stock. You should try Maftei. I think you like and appreciate their work and their last shapes are compelling with your taste.

Sachertorte and Einspänner. It seems to be, you like whipped cream.

I dream of making a trip nach Wien for a serving of Sachertorte and Maftei.

BTW what is the exact difference between an Einspänner and a Melange?

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
That is EXACTLY my next Vass order, except I'll be a 44 in the F last - good call. Did you order the Crispin's?

I see you are also a man of refined taste
smile.gif

I'm going to order the St. Crispin's after I receive the Vass. For that order I'm going for the two-eyelet:

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just finalized my order for these St. Crispin's. Delivery is quoted for September 10th. I replaced the speed lacers with standard eyelets and went for the dark oak color.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I just finalized my order for these St. Crispin's. Delivery is quoted for September 10th. I replaced the speed lacers with standard eyelets and went for the dark oak color.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Well that should be obscenely gorgeous.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
Well that should be obscenely gorgeous.

I'm hoping. I've lusted after these boots since I first saw them. And given the rise in pricing for all things British, they are a relative bargain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads