• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite brands for polos

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
apc polos. its the only brand of polos that i can wear without a undershirt

modual

Reaction score
I find alot of the modern polo shirts stupidly short in the arms.
Lacoste in a size 3 seems to fit my 38" chest well, though they are slightly boxy so dont look so great with slimmer jeans.
Fred perry made in England are a good fit.
Not so keen on the RL custom polos as they seem very long at the back.
Got this Woolrich one below from oi polloi recently though i acquired it in navy blue / white. Really nice fit imo

1445-300.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hollaforadolla
its the only brand of polos that i can wear without a undershirt
What does that mean?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What does that mean?

Probably that they are slim enough that he doesn't need the extra layer to add enough bulk to himself to fill out the shirt.

EdMan

Reaction score
I have been a RL wearer for years. I just like them the best. Classic fitting and timeless. However I've gotten into Lacoste this year. I have a muscular upper body I wear a 6(large) as opposed to XL in Polo. I would love to wear custom fit RL's but their cut just doesn't agree with me.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Martin Margiela polos are amazing. Trovata is also really great for the price (barely more than retail RL Polo).

gdc_2008

Reaction score
The Trovata polos I tried on recently just seemed weird on me. The collars were huge and kind of in the way, and the sleeves were too short. I went up a size and they were even weirder. Maybe it was the style though...they were horizontal stripes with a white collar....just didn't work on me.

Borky

Reaction score
Someone help me out on the Fred Perry sizing? Are they any slimmer than RL Custom?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for British-made Fred Perrys.

Designers like A.P.C, Agnes B, Margiela, early Varvatos etc make very good cuts, but on the pricey side.

RLPL fits me well, but I wish they could have been shorter. Very nice cotton though.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
I find alot of the modern polo shirts stupidly short in the arms.
Lacoste in a size 3 seems to fit my 38" chest well, though they are slightly boxy so dont look so great with slimmer jeans.
Fred perry made in England are a good fit.
Not so keen on the RL custom polos as they seem very long at the back.
Got this Woolrich one below from oi polloi recently though i acquired it in navy blue / white. Really nice fit imo

1445-300.jpg

Not to derail, but does anyone know where I can purchase mannequins like this? I need quite a few (details to come SF).

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
I like vintage Lacoste (w/ the blue alligator, I forget which line that is). However, they are long. I just got an Abercrombie muscle-fit polo at a thrift store, and I really like it. The collar holds its shape quite well and its a very heavy-weight shirt. I don't know how much they go for brand new, but it was definitely worth the $3 I paid.

dapperdude

Reaction score
At what age does one have to stop wearing American Eagle and Lacoste polos?

dapperdude

Reaction score
Ditto on RL being too long. I think that can be easily fixed by a competent tailor, though.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
At what age does one have to stop wearing American Eagle and Lacoste polos?

American Eagle: ASAP, or as soon as you get out of high school at least.

Lacoste: Why? Decent fit, good quality...

Just get some Fred Perry or maybe blank H&M polos. J Crew is actually pretty good too.

capnpyro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
Ditto on RL being too long. I think that can be easily fixed by a competent tailor, though.

my lacoste polo is my most reliable polo. great fit, it's never wrinkled, the collar always lays how it should, the tail is a good length, the material is never scratchy. with lacoste it's not so much what it does right, but it doesn't do anything wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads