• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for Charleston and Savannah

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm leaving for Charleston tomorrow (thanks AC) and will be spending about 4 days there and then 4 days in Savannah before I head back to Jersey. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do there? Any things I should definitely not miss? Restaurants? Shopping? Sights? I've already gotten a recommendation for Hymans (thanks drizz) for seafood and I plan on checking out Ben Silver for some shopping in Charleston. Anything else to do/see/visit?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The following is a pretty good site to check out:

http://www.charlestonsfinest.com/

(Click attractions at top of page to get list of things to do.)

When I went to Charleston seven years ago, I spent one day walking the city on my own and visiting the historic houses, one day at Patriots Point (east of the city), and one day visiting the plantations (mostly west of the city). Whether any of these activities are must-dos depends on your interests. I would recommend a walking tour of some kind.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The following is a pretty good site to check out:

http://www.charlestonsfinest.com/

(Click attractions at top of page to get list of things to do.)

When I went to Charleston seven years ago, I spent one day walking the city on my own and visiting the historic houses, one day at Patriots Point (east of the city), and one day visiting the plantations (mostly west of the city). Whether any of these activities are must-dos depends on your interests. I would recommend a walking tour of some kind.

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on doing a walking tour of the city. I'm also planning on doing one of those cruise tours. The plantations sounds like a very interesting idea.

I wonder if I can find some place that does good tours of something interesting to see on horseback.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Savannah (i lived there for 4 years), I recommend taking a stroll on River Street. It's an old cobblestone road alone the river with small shops, good restaurants, and good place to relax on a bench by the water. This is also where all the bars are and where the famous St. Patty's day festival is held.

I also recommend visiting the various small parks embedded in the downtown area, forsyth park is the largest of these and is very nice. There is often live music in the bandshell and once a year SCAD (the local art school) has a sidewalk arts festival where creative people come from worldwide to make art with chalk on the sidewalks. This is also the park where the Forest Gump scene was shot on the park bench.

At the top of the park is a nice coffeeshop and a couple blocks away is the Griffen Tea House, a popular destination for food and drinks. Another popular place is the Sentient Bean, a local coffee shop and Gallery Espresso.

Broughton St. is the main downtown St. and is parallel to Bay and River St. It has lots of shops and the side streets have many of the small parks. The Scad library and art gallery is on this street as well. A lot of tourists take the horse and buggy tour in this area (they drive the locals mad) but I guess it's a nice thing, sorta like the ones in central park NYC.

If you have time Tybee Island is a nice stop, its about 15 minutes along the highway to the shoreline where there is a lighthouse and beach and is very popular in the summer. It also has a large pier.

Ex Libris is the SCAD bookstore but is commonly visited by tourists, its a very nice place with great woodworking. It is near the corner of Ogolthorpe and Montgomery St.

Anderson St. is primarily where the old feeling of downtown ends and the ghettos and more urban areas begin. If you need anything modern just take a drive down Abercorn st. and thats where all the crap like Malls and Walmarts lie.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the info V. I believe that the hotel I will be staying in is actually in or near Forsyth Park. Seems like there is enough to do in both Charleston and Savannah to keep me busy for the 9 or so days I'm going to be there.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Headed to Charleston in a few weeks... Any more sights/restaurant recs?

Anything you particularly enjoyed, odoreater?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Elizabeth on 37th is, for my money, the best restaurant in Savannah. Charleston is so full of quality restaurants that I don't know what to recommend. Except: bring money.
smile.gif

A cool side trip to make from Savannah is the town of Beaufort, SC.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely go to Hymen's (sp?) seafood restaurant. There are a bunch of pretty good restaurants right around the market area. Damn, I suck at remembering the names of places. Also, the Charleston Grill was really good.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Elizabeth on 37th is, for my money, the best restaurant in Savannah. Charleston is so full of quality restaurants that I don't know what to recommend. Except: bring money.
smile.gif

A cool side trip to make from Savannah is the town of Beaufort, SC.

Elizabeth's is definately tops but the pink house could give them a run for their money. the basement bar is reason enough to go there.

also, there is a bar called churchill's on Bull and Bay (if I remember correctly) that has great english breakfast food and beers.

And if O'Connells Irish Pub is still open it's a helluva place for Irish spirits and song! I think it's on Congress if I'm not mistaken.

down congress a bit is B&B Pool hall. used to have cheap beer and good tables. Best juke box in the city as well.

It has been about 10 years since I was last there though (graduated class of 98) so any of these places could be gone by now.

auto90403

Reaction score
In Charleston, eat at Magnolia. It may be the best high-end Southern food in America. Go at lunch. Getting a reservation for dinner may be hard. Although this time of the year has got to be low season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads