• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Wash?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Why is it that it seems like while people on this site prefer raw denim, when it comes to 45RPM and 5EP they go with the one-wash (or all-out distressed/pre-faded, in the case of 45RPM)? I'm considering getting a pair of 5EPs myself, so I'm curious what the pros and cons are of one-wash vs. raw denim.

Also, can someone explain to me why you're not supposed to wash raw denim until you've been wearing it for a while? I know it has to do with the dye and whiskering and honeycombing, but I want to know the exact details.

Thanks.

Edit: Alright, I read some of the related threads that show up at the bottom of mine. Apparently washing strips the jeans of dye, meaning that you won't get awesome contrast. What I don't get is that aren't you going to wash your jeans at one point or another, ruining whatever contrast you worked to get?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Why is it that it seems like while people on this site prefer raw denim, when it comes to 45RPM and 5EP they go with the one-wash (or all-out distressed/pre-faded, in the case of 45RPM)? I'm considering getting a pair of 5EPs myself, so I'm curious what the pros and cons are of one-wash vs. raw denim.

Also, can someone explain to me why you're not supposed to wash raw denim until you've been wearing it for a while? I know it has to do with the dye and whiskering and honeycombing, but I want to know the exact details.

Thanks.

Edit: Alright, I read some of the related threads that show up at the bottom of mine. Apparently washing strips the jeans of dye, meaning that you won't get awesome contrast. What I don't get is that aren't you going to wash your jeans at one point or another, ruining whatever contrast you worked to get?

To oversimplify, the contrast is in part the result of differing amounts of pre-wash wear (due to body shape, usage, etc.) in different areas of the garment. The more pre-wash wear, the more you'll see contrasting patterns in the way the dye fades upon washing.
Think about dipping a sheet of paper in a bowl of watercolor paint. You may get some drips, etc., but generally you're going to get even coloring. Crinkle up that paper before you did it, and you'll likely get some distinct contrasts where the wrinkles are.
Stupid analogy, but hopefully you get the idea.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a one wash. I have the 5ep one wash, and I see little advantage to getting raw, really. You can be absolutely ******* certain no one else is going to see the difference, except for total denim heads and internet forumers. (less than .0002% of the population)

Fading, wrinkles, and all that stuff will still happen with a one-wash. I might be one of the few here who thinks that occasional (not frequent) washing actually helps bring out the color of the denim, and improves the fit. And they smell better too!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I generally prefer one-wash to raw, but best of all is raw jeans which have been soaked or gently washed in cold water. The denim takes on so much character with that first wash that I generally do it before I even wear the jeans.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tiring to read countless posts of people debating raw vs one-wash when in the end, everyone starts with one-wash.

Even if you get a pair of raw jeans, you should at least soak them once to get shrinkage out of the way. That way the fit won't be completely different once you wash them in the future. So by soaking them, you've in essence made them one-wash.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
It's tiring to read countless posts of people debating raw vs one-wash when in the end, everyone starts with one-wash.

Even if you get a pair of raw jeans, you should at least soak them once to get shrinkage out of the way. That way the fit won't be completely different once you wash them in the future. So by soaking them, you've in essence made them one-wash.

Unless you don't wash them. I've only washed one pair of the approximately 30 pairs of raw denim that I have.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I still don't understand, though, what happens to a pair raw jeans that have been worn for months and then get washed. What's the difference between wearing them for a few months before washing or a few weeks? If the washing takes the dye out, won't both pairs really end up looking the same anyways?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I still don't understand, though, what happens to a pair raw jeans that have been worn for months and then get washed. What's the difference between wearing them for a few months before washing or a few weeks? If the washing takes the dye out, won't both pairs really end up looking the same anyways?

No, because wearing the jeans removes indigo unevenly while washing them takes it out evenly. That's why you get fade marks from wearing them for awhile and why people don't recommend you wash jeans for months. In my case, I prefer the denim stay dark without any fading, which is why I have many pairs of raw denim and don't wash them.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
No, because wearing the jeans removes indigo unevenly while washing them takes it out evenly. That's why you get fade marks from wearing them for awhile and why people don't recommend you wash jeans for months.
+ 1

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you don't wash them. I've only washed one pair of the approximately 30 pairs of raw denim that I have.

keep in mind when you do wash them, all the wear will be out of place...

bottom line is, there is no difference in fade potential between one-wash and raw. if you never want to wash your jeans, that's fine.....however they're going to be stinky as hell after a while and unwearable after a year.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehe im in the same boat. Not sure to get SC One Wash or Raw Okies.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
keep in mind when you do wash them, all the wear will be out of place...

bottom line is, there is no difference in fade potential between one-wash and raw. if you never want to wash your jeans, that's fine.....however they're going to be stinky as hell after a while and unwearable after a year.

That's not true when you're wearing them 1-2 times a month at most. If you hang them up and let them air out, they'll be fresh as new by the next time you wear them.

EdMan

Reaction score
I have to be honest. While I love the look of raw denim, the one washes I have ( SC Oki's and 45 rpm Sorahikos) are awesome. I love the fact that they are much softer and the color seems much richer. I just got some 5EP LDB in raw form and I'm been debating soaking them. I think I will tonight.

But to the OP, from a fit standpoint, I definitely prefer the one wash over the raw denim. Shrink to fit with $300 jeans is a big gamble.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not true when you're wearing them 1-2 times a month at most. If you hang them up and let them air out, they'll be fresh as new by the next time you wear them.

ok, we're looking at it from different perspective. you're right.

I wear mine everyday for months at a time so I have to wash more frequently. I don't want my fades to be uneven which is why I always start with one-wash even when buying raw.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alrite kool, think i've made decided to go with ONE WASH. As long as at the end they fade somewhat the same im good with that. I jus always thought Raws fade better or quicker then One Wash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads