• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlSailor
Questions for Get Smart:

1) bwong337 on p. 31 says his suit is "conservative business cut". Is this a specific cut that you have, or does one have to specify the desired changes from the more "fashion-forward" cut?

2) Do you offer only one style of pockets on the suit pants?

Thanks.

For a more conservative business cut, make the following changes:
- add another 1-2" of length
- 2B or 3B is appropriate. 2B is probably a notch more conservative, and classic. The 2B is just a 3B with the top button removed, and the lapels re-rolled. It's not on the "menu" but can easily be done.
- omit the hacking pockets, and possibly the ticket pocket
- stick with a notch lapel
- stick with a dark conservative colour (charcoal)
- the lapels are typically 2.75" - you can size up slightly if you'd like

And that's it, your slim fitting, non-Manton approving, GS approving conservative business dress suit.

I really like the pocket style of the pants. What would you want to change it to? I believe GS mentioned before this will not be changed, but I could be wrong.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thanks Bandwagon for the precise and accurate answer!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ****, you can get the lapels widened?

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Oh ****, you can get the lapels widened?

I didn't know that either, but GS response was "lapels can be widened to any size." How does one measure lapel width?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the way I measure is at the widest point (the tip of bottom notch or peak) straight across to where lapel ends and shirt would begin. Tho I think my default width is a good compromise of modern narrow. Personally, I make my own stuff even narrower than what I do as a default

csgrad

Reaction score
No option to change button height though right?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csgrad
No option to change button height though right?

no....as it is I'm making a lot more changes than I'd prefer. After all I'm not trying to be a custom suit brand...but offering *my* cut & aesthetic in a MTO format.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
no....as it is I'm making a lot more changes than I'd prefer. After all I'm not trying to be a custom suit brand...but offering *my* cut & aesthetic in a MTO format.

I was thinking of ordering a DB pinstripe with full-cut pleated trousers, the jacket coming straight down from under the arms to the hem, no waist suppression at all--can you do that?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I was thinking of ordering a DB pinstripe with full-cut pleated trousers, the jacket coming straight down from under the arms to the hem, no waist suppression at all--can you do that?
Jason made me a terrific zoot suit with a mandarin collar, Im sure he would hook you up.

AlSailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
For a more conservative business cut, make the following changes:
- add another 1-2" of length
- 2B or 3B is appropriate. 2B is probably a notch more conservative, and classic. The 2B is just a 3B with the top button removed, and the lapels re-rolled. It's not on the "menu" but can easily be done.
- omit the hacking pockets, and possibly the ticket pocket
- stick with a notch lapel
- stick with a dark conservative colour (charcoal)
- the lapels are typically 2.75" - you can size up slightly if you'd like

And that's it, your slim fitting, non-Manton approving, GS approving conservative business dress suit.

I really like the pocket style of the pants. What would you want to change it to? I believe GS mentioned before this will not be changed, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help, Bandwagonesque

So pants do not have to be changed for "conservative business cut" (e.g. wider leg openings)?

prozach1576

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

Heh, yeah if I were you I wouldn't be happy about all of these changes. I guess it's cool that you're selling suits and stuff, but it seems like people are trying to abuse your goodwill and shy away from what your brand is all about. Just my two cents, I guess...

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
I second AlSailor's question. Does the traditional suit have a wider leg opening? For that matter, does it need wider openings?
I will be working in a pretty conservative environment and was considering a BB suit but I am sure the fitting for this would be nicer.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlSailor
Thanks for your help, Bandwagonesque

So pants do not have to be changed for "conservative business cut" (e.g. wider leg openings)?

How big are your feet? Do you like a break? I really like how GS wears his pants with no break, but that look is just slightly too ballsy for me. I had my hems enlarged to 8"... they look good, but they tend to catch sometimes on the opening of my shoe, and make my feet look huge. I'm having my next suit with hems of 8.25" and I'm hoping that might remedy the situation. I prefer my pants with just a slight break.

If you're thin enough to pull off narrow trousers, keep the small hem. It looks really cool compared to the 9" hems most guys wear.

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
How big are your feet? Do you like a break? I really like how GS wears his pants with no break, but that look is just slightly too ballsy for me. I had my hems enlarged to 8"... they look good, but they tend to catch sometimes on the opening of my shoe, and make my feet look huge. I'm having my next suit with hems of 8.25" and I'm hoping that might remedy the situation. I prefer my pants with just a slight break.

If you're thin enough to pull off narrow trousers, keep the small hem. It looks really cool compared to the 9" hems most guys wear.

I just ordered and that was one of the major changes I made. I specified pretty much every measurement for the pants and widened them slightly. A 7" hem is too much more for. I think a 8" hem looks slim without looking too slim with my 8.5D shoes. I find it just covers the top of my laces.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my charcoal suit got it's first use today for a job interview. It looked ******* good. So ******* good to the point where I was very overdressed. Never before have I been to an interview where the people sitting across the table from me were dressed so casually. One fella had a baggy blazer, untucked stripey shirt, and jeans. The other guy had a polo tucked into his double pleated dockers with running shoes. The third guy wore a tie, but it was a sports team tie. In the building (I should mention it was a government position I was being interviewed for), jeans, Dockers, untucked shirts, polos were everywhere. And it wasn't even "casual Friday". Did I just commit sartorial suicide?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads