• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I commend you for your impeccable taste
laugh.gif

Likewise.

omega_minty_87_12.jpg

omega_minty_c2_12.jpg

omega_minty_a5_12.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very surprised to see a picture of Norman Foster sporting one as I thought before that day that he had decent taste
Over the years I've met with dozens of world class architects and with rare exception they've all exhibited some style quirk or another that was off putting.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Banks seem to have the odd habit of thinking any cash over $2000 is an huge amount.

Up here it's a royal pain to get cash over ~3k. For many banks you have to tell them a couple of days in advance that you'll require the money. They forcast their cash requirements these days so that they never have more cash in the vault than absolutely required.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Over the years I've met with dozens of world class architects and with rare exception they've all exhibited some style quirk or another that was off putting.

This is just bad taste allover:
foster_br.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
The problem is that I don't really care for anything else. Ostrich is okay, but tends to be in a very orangey shade. Lizard looks like it came from a kiosk at the mall. Pigskin and calf may be and look appropriate on vintage watches but anything modern seems out of place on them. Panerai are my lone exception. They definitely belong on calf.
PAMs_onbook.JPG
Of course there's always synthetic.
BPTVblack.jpeg

I just got a nice Honey Ostrich skin strap for my 1949 18k YG Omega which also has a gold dial. I think it doesn't overwhelm the watch so much as say an alligator might. Ostrich straps aren't as "common" as alligator straps, I feel. Jaeger LeCoultre seems to like to pair ostrich skin with their Reversos a lot.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
The garish watch or the awning stripe shirt?
crackup[1].gif

The whole thing, especially the watch. I remember when he used to wear architect-clichÃ
00a9.png
black turtlenecks... good old times

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole thing, especially the watch. I remember when he used to wear architect-clichÃ
00a9.png
black turtlenecks... good old times

I like the tie - have been looking for one like it for summer. Probably not my first choice of shirt to pair it with but I don't think it looks that bad.

But it's definitely a really summery outfit to be wearing with a huge black square on your wrist with a black band.

About a month ago, I saw someone actualy wearing a BR Instrument watch for the first time. For as much as I dislike the look in a store window, it looked surprisingly not weird on the wrist.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but are Chopard watches respectable? I am not a watch person, but I have an opportunity to buy one from a co-worker, I can probably get it cheap.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but are Chopard watches respectable? I am not a watch person, but I have an opportunity to buy one from a co-worker, I can probably get it cheap.
the L.U.C. ones are awesome. the others are not as good.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca

Yes - Chopard is a real watchmaker. The L.U.C. movements in particular are very nice
LUC_1860.jpg

Caliber_LUC_10_CF.jpg

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really?

I looked it over today, it is a mille miglia (sp?) and comes from the factory with three straps. He has the box and everything but needs to dump it as he doesn't live within his means. It is a chrono with a black face and cream colored rings. Honestly, what is something like thsi worth? He has wore it alot for the last 7-8 months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads