• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega vs. Rolex

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The Reverso Duo is a nice watch, but does not have particularly good resale value. Retail for the SS version on strap is over $5K, sells for low $3K on the secondary market.

I thought retail was around $6.8-6.9k for the ss duo. In any case, comparing retail to secondary is not as relevant for JLC as it is for Rolex since there is no reason to buy a JLC at retail. 25-30% discounts on JLC are common place

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kshah
I was thinking of getting a JLC Reverso Duo, but I am unsure of the resale value against the standard, the two tone Submariner. From what I've gathered, they hold up well physically, and are relatively easy to liquidate.

JLC is far and away my favorite mid-range brand. that being said, buy it second hand unless you intend it to be a keeper. they dont do extremely well in the resale market.

I have to say though, i bought a reverso grande reserve a while ago thinking it would be fun to own until the novelty wore off. now i realize i will own it forever. it's just that nice.

as for a 2 tone sub, they are less loved than say, an all steel version but they hold their value like any other rolex (aside form the explorers) would.

have a look at the new GMT as well. the ceramic bezel is a winner in person. it really sets it apart from a sub as well.

DuncanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My guess is that you would buy a Patek Philippe watch for the same reasons people buy Rolex. I hope you can see the irony

Now that is funny.

I am feeling a little bit of a troll here.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuncanM
I am feeling a little bit of a troll here.
How does it feel?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I get tired of these brand debates so I will only say I have been very happy with my DateJust Rolex and my friends have been very happy with recent Rolex purchases. The after-market sale experience is very, very good here in Atlanta.

If I were to buy one today I would buy a sports model like a SeaDweller or look at the Omega Coaxial designs. The Omegas don't hold value as well as Rolex but can be had at a discount upfront. Both brands are superb.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
JLC is far and away my favorite mid-range brand..

Mid-range?
confused.gif

dave

Reaction score
well, i consider them mid-range in terms of price. there are a TON of makers out there that make JLC look cheap.

their quality is way ahead of the other brands in their price range in my opinion though so dont go tellin them that they're too cheap!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any modern luxury watch will be overpriced relative to manufacturing price. However, some vintage pieces are even more inflated but generally, it's a better value.

kshah

Reaction score
I thought retail was around $6.8-6.9k for the ss duo. In any case, comparing retail to secondary is not as relevant for JLC as it is for Rolex since there is no reason to buy a JLC at retail. 25-30% discounts on JLC are common place

I was thinking of getting a Reverso Duo in Rose Gold with the light tan strap seen here:
http://www.atlantictime.com/jaeger-l...-20682-80.html

Which dealer do you recommend? Tourneau and Wempe in the NYC area?

I like your Panerai, little showy for banking though?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kshah
I was thinking of getting a Reverso Duo in Rose Gold with the light tan strap seen here:
http://www.atlantictime.com/jaeger-l...-20682-80.html

Which dealer do you recommend? Tourneau and Wempe in the NYC area?

It depends what your primary objectives are. Cellini or Wempe if you want bricks and mortar and are OK paying extra for it (less discount + NY tax). Under no circumstances would I recommend Tourneau though. If you're looking for the absolute lowest cost, then a reputable grey market dealer in Singapore, HK or KL would be the best choice

I like your Panerai, little showy for banking though?
I guess. They're used to my watches now. Plus, being European gives a little more leeway to have your own style choices (things are more easily excused because, hey, he's French!)

kshah

Reaction score
It depends what your primary objectives are. Cellini or Wempe if you want bricks and mortar and are OK paying extra for it (less discount + NY tax). Under no circumstances would I recommend Tourneau though. If you're looking for the absolute lowest cost, then a reputable grey market dealer in Singapore, HK or KL would be the best choice

I guess. They're used to my watches now. Plus, being European gives a little more leeway to have your own style choices (things are more easily excused because, hey, he's French!)

I may go through Singapore - a family member just picked up a two tone Sub for $5500.

I worked in industry for a while, and am moving to banking very shortly. It suprises me how many men just give up and let a suburban mall BB salesman dictate their attire.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Everytime the word "Rolex" is included in a thread....
BR005s.jpg

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Mid-range?
confused.gif

Yes, to the tiny percentage of the population who purchases PP, VC, Lange, and AP, they are very much mid-range. To everyone else, who doesn't see distinctions at the top the way the minority does, it's right up there with the best of them.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Yes, to the tiny percentage of the population who purchases PP, VC, Lange, and AP, they are very much mid-range. To everyone else, who doesn't see distinctions at the top the way the minority does, it's right up there with the best of them.

Then I'd guess EG Top Drawer is midrange, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads