• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega vs. Rolex

syracuse1976

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm convinced Rolexes are overpriced and overrated. I own two Omegas, which I feel are unbeatable at the $2-5k price point. If money were no object, I would not buy Rolex, but Patek Phillipe.

My opinion: Rolexes are about 20% more than they should be and are ubiquitous.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that you would buy a Patek Philippe watch for the same reasons people buy Rolex. I hope you can see the irony

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

I'm no fan of Rolex, but the market does not consider them overpriced. They do very, very well in both the primary and secondary markets.

Otter91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by syracuse1976
Hello,

I'm convinced Rolexes are overpriced and overrated. I own two Omegas, which I feel are unbeatable at the $2-5k price point. If money were no object, I would not buy Rolex, but Patek Phillipe.

My opinion: Rolexes are about 20% more than they should be and are ubiquitous.

in my experience (I work in the jewelry industry) Rolex is the only watch that I have repeatedly seen people buy, wear for a few years, and sell for more than they bought it for. Often times to make this work, you will need to be buying preowned, however, there are not many bobbles out there with any kind of return on investment, let alone the possiblility of making money on it.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread will not end well.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The three brands are overpriced, they are luxury items, so people pay for the exclusivity of it.

That said I have to add to the equation the fact that those three watches are made in Geneva, Switzerland using highly specialized people in micro-mecanichs and a lot of hand work and painstakingly finishing details... that on a City were labor is very expensive... So the watches are not cheap to bulid.

But anyway the biggest component in the cost is the prestige of the brand anyway

syracuse1976

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. All are good points. My favorite is the Aqua Terra, and it's served me well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
That said I have to add to the equation the fact that those three watches are made in Geneva, Switzerland using highly specialized people in micro-mecanichs and a lot of hand work and painstakingly finishing details... that on a City were labor is very expensive... So the watches are not cheap to bulid.

Omega watches are not made in Geneva but in Bienne (aka Biel).

dave

Reaction score
if you check the market, Rolex is anything BUT overpriced. they give you a high quality, albeit rough and relatively unfinished, manufacture movement in every watch they make. and the oyster case design is a proven winner as well.

in fact, i would say that rolex presents an overall value in the market today.

try buying another sport watch at retail and then sell it for the same $$$ 6 months later when you realize it's boring.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
try buying another sport watch at retail and then sell it for the same $$$ 6 months later when you realize it's boring.

laugh.gif

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
lurker[1].gif

I'm no fan of Rolex, but the market does not consider them overpriced. They do very, very well in both the primary and secondary markets.

This is exactly how I feel.

kshah

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a JLC Reverso Duo, but I am unsure of the resale value against the standard, the two tone Submariner. From what I've gathered, they hold up well physically, and are relatively easy to liquidate.

syracuse1976

Reaction score
I'm not sure. They're beautiful though. I want a Vacheron Patrimony Chronometre.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
smack.gif

lurker[1].gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kshah
I was thinking of getting a JLC Reverso Duo, but I am unsure of the resale value against the standard, the two tone Submariner. From what I've gathered, they hold up well physically, and are relatively easy to liquidate.
The Reverso Duo is a nice watch, but does not have particularly good resale value. Retail for the SS version on strap is over $5K, sells for low $3K on the secondary market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads