• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
My PAM 183 #G002/1500. That makes this watch the second produced in its first and only year of production with this dial layout. I don't think that does anything to the value, but it's interesting.
Black_Seal.JPG

Serial.jpg

Thurston - interesting serial # considering that #1 is generally reserved for a "friend" of the company. My PAM115's serial number is 115/200 which I also find interesting but doesn't add to the value either

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll help. My favorite watch. I probably wear it more than any other. IWC 5441 Jubilee Portugesier. I drove from Philadelphia to Princeton in a snowstorm to meet a guy from Brooklyn at a train station to collect this watch.

5441_OEM.JPG

It's the Levi's Port, #501/1000
Port_jubilee_number.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thurston - I don't know if I'm the only one but I cannot see the pictures you posted today. The server you are using is blocked by my company firewall!
frown.gif

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Thurston - interesting serial # considering that #1 is generally reserved for a "friend" of the company. My PAM115's serial number is 115/200 which I also find interesting but doesn't add to the value either

I bought it a few months after it came out from another collector in the DC area. He's nobody special, just a guy who buys too many watches he can't really afford and then sells them after a few weeks. This one originated at one of the Boutiques in Italy, I can't recall which at the moment. My PAM Zero is milesimation #5, not from the first year though. I like it because it's my birthday. I bought that one from Chad in BH.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thurston - I don't know if I'm the only one but I cannot see the pictures you posted today. The server you are using is blocked by my company firewall!
frown.gif

That's strange, my host is comcast and my pics aren't password protected.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'll help. My favorite watch. I probably wear it more than any other. IWC 5441 Jubilee Portugesier. I drove from Philadelphia to Princeton in a snowstorm to meet a guy from Brooklyn at a train station to collect this watch.

5441_OEM.JPG

It's the Levi's Port, #501/1000
Port_jubilee_number.jpg

Beautiful watch and strap!

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Beautiful watch and strap!
Thank you. The strap is from the wg/ardiose dialed Portugese Auto 5001. I ordered it through my dealer and rejected the first specimen as too 'flat'. I really wanted that reddish cast. Edit: So my pics are obviously visible to you. Sorry gdl.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit: So my pics are obviously visible to you. Sorry gdl.
damn!
cloud.gif
censored.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: What smaller size 35mm watches available from Panerai or other manufacturer? I am asking because I like Panerai's retro shape. Unfortunately Panerai are too large for my wrist.
Second question is : Why so many fakes or repros of Panerai? Is it becoming Rolex of 90s?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Question: What smaller size 35mm watches available from Panerai or other manufacturer? I am asking because I like Panerai's retro shape. Unfortunately Panerai are too large for my wrist.
There are no Panerai watches below 40mm. Which style are you interested in? Luminor (with the crown guard) or Radiomir (cushion shape)?

Second question is : Why so many fakes or repros of Panerai? Is it becoming Rolex of 90s?
Several reasons but the three main ones IMO are
(1) popularity of the design yet expensive price point (similar to Rolex sub in that regard)
(2) limited production levels so difficult to find the models one wants at a dealer (specifically the most classic ones)
(3) For most of its models, Panerai is using ETA and Valjoux movements with modifications generally limited to decorations and a couple more things (e.g. swan neck regulator). ETA movements are easy to procure so making a fake with a movement which looks very similar to the OP movement is not that hard. In addition, fake ETA movements are now made as well, which makes it even easier.

Reason #3 is one of the primary reasons why OP has started rolling out its own manufacture movements.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the on on the left is the only watch I wear any more - a pilot's watch from the 1920's - bought in prague with an origional band that was large enough to fit outside the sleeve of a leather jacket. the body is aluminum.

the one of the right is a chinese made 4 time zone automatic.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are no Panerai watches below 40mm. Which style are you interested in? Luminor (with the crown guard) or Radiomir (cushion shape)?

Several reasons but the three main ones IMO are
(1) popularity of the design yet expensive price point (similar to Rolex sub in that regard)
(2) limited production levels so difficult to find the models one wants at a dealer (specifically the most classic ones)
(3) For most of its models, Panerai is using ETA and Valjoux movements with modifications generally limited to decorations and a couple more things (e.g. swan neck regulator). ETA movements are easy to procure so making a fake with a movement which looks very similar to the OP movement is not that hard. In addition, fake ETA movements are now made as well, which makes it even easier.

Reason #3 is one of the primary reasons why OP has started rolling out its own manufacture movements.

40mm that is a bit too large. I like both shapes actually. They must be so top heavy. How do you keep it from sliding around your wrist? Is there common name to the shape that Panerai uses (that semi-rectangular shape)?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
40mm that is a bit too large. I like both shapes actually. They must be so top heavy. How do you keep it from sliding around your wrist? Is there common name to the shape that Panerai uses (that semi-rectangular shape)?

You should try one on. It sits very well on the wrist and does not slide at all.

Regarding the shape, are you referring to the Luminor or Radiomir shape? (see difference here)

The Radiomir shape is typically called "cushion". The Luminor shape is unique to Panerai but is sometimes referred to as cushion as well

EDIT: if you like the Radiomir case shape but want the smallest possible case. PAM62 is a great choice (this is not my watch or photo):
pam_62_1.jpg

It is a 40mm case. As a comparison, my PAM210 at the top of this thread is 45mm

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
the on on the left is the only watch I wear any more - a pilot's watch from the 1920's

Love it; you should do it justice with a proper photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics