• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
biggenny.jpg

biggen2.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
biggenny.jpg

biggen2.jpg

Not a Constellation, but a beautiful dial. I love the crosshairs and the markers. I believe I have one with fat arrowhead markers (they are all like the 12 on the Geneve) on a honeycomb dial. My memory is failing, but it might also be one of the older bumper movements. Constellations (and other Omegas) from that era sit in one of the richest design deposits. There are so many variations - all beautiful.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omegablogger,

I really like that one! The design of the face, markers, and crystal is very beautiful. Also, I prefer a vintage watch to have a strap that looks "right". All to often, I see a pic of a vintage watch with a brand new croc or leather band that looks so out of place, no patina.

Can you tell me a little more about this model?

Omegablogger

Reaction score
>Can you tell me a little more about this model?

From memory.

This one is late 1950's I think, 9k with British hallmarks which is a little unusual I think. I got this from my local watchmaker, it had been with one owner all that time.

The Geneve line is a strange one, started in the 50's as a hat tip to Omegas successes in the Geneve observatory trials. It seemed to get put to one side shortly after, partly I think because the late 50 saw some exception pieces from Omega. Around the early 60's the upmarket Geneve line ended and the name sort of morphed into an entry level model. I think most people when they think of the Geneve line will think of those cheaper models, they were OK but lacked anything special, they go for very little money on an ebay near you so good news if you like them.

Some more pics here http://www.omegablogger.com/archives/86

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Also, I prefer a vintage watch to have a strap that looks "right". All to often, I see a pic of a vintage watch with a brand new croc or leather band that looks so out of place, no patina.

Agreed. And while he can't fake the patina, I must give a nod to my new friend Bill @ Squinky:

http://stores.ebay.com/Squinky

He stocks quite a few NOS straps in leather, lizard, and croc from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I've ordered a few from him now to match up with older watches and the customer service is excellent.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
All to often, I see a pic of a vintage watch with a brand new croc or leather band that looks so out of place, no patina.
A strap with a matte finish will go a long way to mitigate that incongruity.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Geneve line in its initial iteration was the highest end line of Omega, if I recall.

There was also an obscure line called the Tresor which was also quite high-end.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Here is a little example, top left is a vintage crocodile [or alligator I forget], bottom left Omega's modern leather lookalike, top right vintage alligator lizard, and finally a cheap fake lizard imprint.

ali.jpg

ali2.jpg

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
Yes 100%. Almost more by accident by design, I like to find the sweet spot of quality and value and Omega hits that for me. They have some great designs and styles particularly vintage, I think vintage can be a minefield so sticking with one brand makes it less likely that you will buy too many lemons.

This a bit of Schedoni leather with a few surprises inside;

led1.jpg

led5.jpg

Where did you get that case? It looks perfect for storing a lot of watches.

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jeff Low
Hi Gunnar, It's a model 15202. The bracelet is all steel; there is no gold in it. All the best, - Jeff

Thank you very much, I really consider buying it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My Grail Watches:

worldtime.jpg

img_lange_sohne.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sticking to the spirit of the thread (i.e. showing pictures of your own watches), here is my 1972 Omega Speedy Pro
speedy.jpg

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My PAM 183 #G002/1500. That makes this watch the second produced in its first and only year of production with this dial layout. I don't think that does anything to the value, but it's interesting.
Black_Seal.JPG
Serial.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Sticking to the spirit of the thread (i.e. showing pictures of your own watches),

That'll get tiresome.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
That'll get tiresome.

I've got a few more to keep it going for a while. I'm sure others do too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads