• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC visit

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going with my family to DC this summer, and while the focus of the trip is museums and stuff for the young 'un, I want to take advantage to go to Sky Valet and check out the EG's at least to measure my size, if not spring for a pair. Are there any good outlet malls we should check out should the opportunity arise? We will be staying in Georgetown BTW.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outlet shopping in the DC area is weak and not close to the city. Many people will tell you to go to Potomac Mills, but don't believe the hype. The best outlet center is probably Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets, which has a Saks Off Fifth. It is hit or miss, however.

If you're just looking for off-price shopping, Filene's Basement is worth a visit and in town. Go to the Connecticut Avenue (Farragut North metro station) location. If you have a car, you may want to visit the newly opened CMart. It generally has a lot of Belvest and Canali, and I have spotted Seraphin there as well. I bought a d'Avenza cashmere jacket for under $500 a few months ago.

sammy

Reaction score
Since you're in Georgetwon, check out Sherman Pickey- a preppy little haberdasher at the top of Georgetown on Wisconsin Ave.
http://www.shermanpickey.com/

There's also a great little gelaterria called Dolcezza just down the street that has the best cafe latte in the city.

Enjoy!

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
Since you're in Georgetwon, check out Sherman Pickey- a preppy little haberdasher at the top of Georgetown on Wisconsin Ave.
http://www.shermanpickey.com/

There's also a great little gelaterria called Dolcezza just down the street that has the best cafe latte in the city.

Enjoy!

WRONG
the starbucks on the corner of 22 and H in Foggy Bottom does

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Outlet shopping in the DC area is weak and not close to the city. Many people will tell you to go to Potomac Mills, but don't believe the hype.

yeah, i went to potomac mills 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it was a total waste of time.

i'll have to check leesburg some time, but i'm not in a hurry.

filene's in DC is okay. but generally, DC is weak for outlet shopping.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DC is weak for shopping in general

Reaction score
^ Agreed. The real draw is all the free cultural sites and events. And as an aside, the food court at the Native American Museum is amazing.

Spudbunny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
you may want to visit the newly opened CMart. It generally has a lot of Belvest and Canali, and I have spotted Seraphin there as well. I bought a d'Avenza cashmere jacket for under $500 a few months ago.

There have been a few queries from time to time about this new CMart store in DC. I went there yesterday and perhaps not surprisingly I had exactly the same experience as Ambulance Chaser. I bought a d'Avenza cashmere jacket for under $500. There is a lot of Canali and Belvest. I left behind a nice rust Belvest jacket with patch pockets, perfect for fall, which cost $98 for some reason. I also saw a Kiton pure cashmere jacket in a darker gold. Thank God it did not fit me even though it was a steal at just over a thousand. Most of the stuff was 70% off (the quoted retail was plausible), but of course, the original prices were such that most of the decent brands were in the four to five hundred range.

Shirts: lots of Etro, a few Borrelli of a causal nature, lots of Zegna for the summer, some Paul Smith, including a nice looking grey windowpane suit that I was surprised to find was fused. A couple Zegna and Belvest suits in the five to six hundred range.

Shoes: more Cole Hahn than you've ever seen in one place.

All in all, much better selection than I remember from the Baltimore store (I only went once). It's a strange place: there are ceramic commodes next to the men's section. Also, don't rely on their email alerts: they are singularly uninformative.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in the DC area for the Capital Jazzfest next weekend. What about the N. Marcus outlet store? Is it worth checking out? Thanks for the update on Potomac Mills, it saved me time and gas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics