• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties: looking for the diamond in the rough.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I have not purchased anything from FIH, but prior posts here and on AAAC are clear that j at FIH is top notch in customer service and or exchange and returns.

I took a quick look at his site, seems he has slim fit shirts as well. Always good to see a source.

I think my next tie purchase will be from fih..

mike1234

Reaction score
FIHTies;521931 said:
By mistake I sent this response to mike's PM. Very much unintended as i wanted to air this in the open. Thats what happens when you do this via blackberry on the road
smile.gif

You certainly didnt offend. Its hard to get offended from a faceless individual who's initial and subsequent post seems only to challenge my admittedly biased opinion on the value of a product i am selling.

I do question your ability to make a statement that i am selling a product that is designed and manufactured in China when you know nothing about what i do and where i produce. I also question who you are and what your goal is in making these factually incorrect accusations when the ONLY time we hear from you is to throw this unsubstantiated statement into the ring.

Lets get some facts straight:

Fact 1). My private label ties (not the Marinella and not those labeled as having English twill silks) are all hand made in Italy from silks from Como
Anyone who doubts that please contact me via email or PM and i will produce customs invoices and any other documentation that can prove that.

Fact 2). I dont design my ties. I select the color combinations from swatches presented to me by my tie makers.sometimes i suggest a color combo. Design is any interesting word, I never claimed to design my stripes and paisleys. If you have ever seen a color swatch from a silk producer you would know the color possibilities available. Thats all i do. And other than the few combinations that i have mysteriously seen appear only after i sold them to members of this forum i have never seen them anywhere else but by me.

Fact 3) my customers from both SF and AAAC are a very discrmininating bunch and have all been very pleased with the value of my product. Just see the replies above which even if i had to remind them the context of their replies was unprovoked.

Fact 4) i dont do nearly enough plugging for my product. If i did i wouldnt have to "remind" my happy customers about me as i did in this post.

Challenge away, thats what these fora are all about, but do so based on facts that you have uncovered, not by making accusations and putting the onus of disproving your speculation whether you believe it or not on me.

You sound like such an amateur. I'm bored.

Bye.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^seriously Mike, who opens a new screenname to start **** with someone and then calls them an amateur after not even being able to quote a post correctly? I really don't see how you think you have any credibility on this one. You lost. I'm buying my next ties from FIH.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a customer of FIH, I would like to respond to the unsubstantiated statement regarding the use of Chinese silk. I am not an expert on silk by any means, however, I will state that I have a tie from FIH in brown silk with blue stripes and a herringbone weave and a nearly identical tie from Carlo Franco in blue/pink. Since I first received the ties, I have been virtually certain that the silks come from the same mill. Long-time forum members will recall that CF promotes his ties as being woven from Como silk. So I am convinced that FIH's ties are, as Jonathan writes, made of Como silk.

If anything, Jonathan promotes his products in a very low-key way and his sales suffer because of it. In addition, I once ordered a Marinella tie from FIH and Jonathan emailed me a picture along with a warning that the tie really is darker than the picture on the web. As a consequence, he lost a sale, but gained my support. I'm truly embarassed that I forgot to mention his products earlier in this thread, since his ties are great and his service is unmatched.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike1234
You sound like such an amateur. I'm bored.

Bye.

Bye.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
I dont know which ties you have of mine but anything in at least the last 5 seasons has all wool linings, self tipping, bar tack closures, and tie keepers that are sewn into the tie and not simply attached to the back of the tie.
I cannot find the 7-folds (and similar) on your site. Do you still carry some?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I cannot find the 7-folds (and similar) on your site. Do you still carry some?

Yes, in the luxury tie section on the menu to the right sub menu of men-ties-luxury ties .

I would link it however i am again on the road.

Have a good weekend. Some of the luxury ties while not being seven folds are quite thick if you prefer that kind of knot.

PS: 10 percent and free shipping goes till tonight on orders more than $100.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, in the luxury tie section on the menu to the right sub menu of men-ties-luxury ties .

I would link it however i am again on the road.

I can't really see where there is a mention of a tie's construction. Apparently you are back, care to link?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't really see where there is a mention of a tie's construction. Apparently you are back, care to link?

My apologies for not linking before, I was under the impression that you found what you were looking for.

The ties in the Luxury Tie Link are either seven fold, four fold or what I call asymetrically folded which is a more unique folding of a tie where the folded underside of the tie goes up further. I will picture that later today. If you click on a tie from that group it shows if its available in the seven fold/four fold etc.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I get it now. My trouble was that this is not present for all ties. Random examples,
http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...=FH60E-C-01-GN
has no precision, but
http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...H60E-DM-325-NY
has everything stated.

Ahh...You have stumbled on the secret of availability... what I generally do is when a tie gets sold out I usually keep the pic and link alive until the return period has expired, but make it unavailable for purchase.

By now I should probably retire those pix
smile.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you are under the illusion that the silk that is used in the majority of ties come from either Italy or the UK?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
How many of you are under the illusion that the silk that is used in the majority of ties come from either Italy or the UK?
Figures Jan would be the one...
devil.gif
I thought you were off gallivanting with Marc the shooman or helping someone on their hand made pant project
smile.gif
Anyway, what Jan is bringing up is that most of the fibers from the ties that most makers produce comes from China. Italy (I cant speak for the UK) has little or almost none of what they call Prima Materiale, raw resources. Italian silk producers and mills get raw fibers and produce that into the silks that we get as a finished product. So in effect most silk for ties originally comes from China.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in effect most silk for ties originally comes from China.
which is the way it has been, no? Silk has been cultivated in China since 600 BC, and only made it to Europe when worms were smuggled to Constantinople in AD 550. A prejudice against chinese-origin silk seems to me the worst form of know-nothing first-worldism.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
which is the way it has been, no? Silk has been cultivated in China since 600 BC, and only made it to Europe when worms were smuggled to Constantinople in AD 550.

Certainly. People need to come to the realization now that those smuggled worms are already dead.
smile.gif

I think the prejudice against silks from china is the subsequent mass producing of processed silks from those Chinese fibers. You know, the kind that you find on the printed ties you can buy in the street for 5 dollars. Or on my ties
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics