• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties: looking for the diamond in the rough.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
You must be thinking of Italo Ferretti. Not sure if there is any relationship between them and Fabio Ferretti.
Italo Ferretti ties are much higher quality and use more substantial silk. They are indeed the former makers for Brioni. If $80 is within your price range, consider a custom tie from www.samhober.com Nicky makes some nice ties at bargain prices for the quality. I often find myself admiring Jhane Barnes ties. They're not always business appropriate, but I like the silks a lot. If possible, find a Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks Off Fifth store near you. You're sure to find a Charvet or Brioni tie for $60 that really strikes you. Edit: Jonathan's ties are excellent, well-made with outstanding silk, and customer service is second to none. I'm embarassed that I forgot to mention his product in my original post.

kbuzz

Reaction score
The andrews ties are really solid for the price. also they seem to do a bit more "classy" patterns, unlike some of the other cheaper brands.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheesh...me and rodney dangerfield...we dont get no respect.

Whats bothersome is the fact that a couple of guys that have posted here are actually customers.
frown.gif

Is there something that you guys wanted to tell me that I should know about????

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Sheesh...me and rodney dangerfield...we dont get no respect.

Whats bothersome is the fact that a couple of guys that have posted here are actually customers.
frown.gif

Is there something that you guys wanted to tell me that I should know about????

J, your ties are great, so if you want to sell me some more at, oh, $15 each, then I'm in
smile.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
J, your ties are great, so if you want to sell me some more at, oh, $15 each, then I'm in
smile.gif

While I cant go to 15, with Andrew's Ties going for between 40 and 50 and my new pricing at 45 for the regular and short and 49.90 for the X-Long, i do believe that the Value is certainly there.

mike1234

Reaction score
While I cant go to 15, with Andrew's Ties going for between 40 and 50 and my new pricing at 45 for the regular and short and 49.90 for the X-Long, i do believe that the Value is certainly there.

Thanks for the plug.

But I don't see anything on your site except patterns produced by the Chinese mills. Do you have other selections?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike1234
Thanks for the plug.

But I don't see anything on your site except patterns produced by the Chinese mills. Do you have other selections?

Oooops! Mine Zecret is out!

Can we expect to hear more quality posts from you or will you stop at 1?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have many of your ties as well as Andrews Ties. They are both great and at the same price. Quality wise, how does your tie differ from Andrews Ties.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Oh wow, I didn't realize that Andrew's cost so much in the US. Yeah, in that price range, your ties blow Andrew's out of the water. Everyone: if you're looking to spend $50 on a tie, FIH can't be beat. At the upper end, his 7 folds are pure luxury, better than just about anything I've felt out there. With very competitive pricing. Actually Jonathon, have you mostly dropped 7/4 folds? They aren't as prominent as I remember on the site. Tom

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
I have many of your ties as well as Andrews Ties. They are both great and at the same price. Quality wise, how does your tie differ from Andrews Ties.
For me it's all about the lining. FIH ties hold a beautiful knot and dimple; Andrew's have nice silk but there's something missing in the overall presentation.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

Its a hard question for me to answer as i dont carry Andrews Ties
smile.gif

I dont know which ties you have of mine but anything in at least the last 5 seasons has all wool linings, self tipping, bar tack closures, and tie keepers that are sewn into the tie and not simply attached to the back of the tie.

Oh...dont forget that Chinese silk
wink.gif

mike1234

Reaction score
Oooops! Mine Zecret is out!

Can we expect to hear more quality posts from you or will you stop at 1?

I had no intent on offending you.

But if you have the right to shamelessly promote your 'ties' at an inappropriate time - calling them a "good value" - then I have the right to challenge you.

If all you're doing is buying and reselling designs at $45, which are created and manufactured by China mills, how is that a good value?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike1234
I had no intent on offending you.

But if you have the right to shamelessly promote your 'ties' at an inappropriate time - calling them a "good value" - then I have the right to challenge you.

If all you're doing is buying and reselling designs at $45, which are created and manufactured by China mills, how is that a good value?

By mistake I sent this response to mike's PM. Very much unintended as i wanted to air this in the open. Thats what happens when you do this via blackberry on the road
smile.gif

You certainly didnt offend. Its hard to get offended from a faceless individual who's initial and subsequent post seems only to challenge my admittedly biased opinion on the value of a product i am selling.

I do question your ability to make a statement that i am selling a product that is designed and manufactured in China when you know nothing about what i do and where i produce. I also question who you are and what your goal is in making these factually incorrect accusations when the ONLY time we hear from you is to throw this unsubstantiated statement into the ring.

Lets get some facts straight:

Fact 1). My private label ties (not the Marinella and not those labeled as having English twill silks) are all hand made in Italy from silks from Como
Anyone who doubts that please contact me via email or PM and i will produce customs invoices and any other documentation that can prove that.

Fact 2). I dont design my ties. I select the color combinations from swatches presented to me by my tie makers.sometimes i suggest a color combo. Design is any interesting word, I never claimed to design my stripes and paisleys. If you have ever seen a color swatch from a silk producer you would know the color possibilities available. Thats all i do. And other than the few combinations that i have mysteriously seen appear only after i sold them to members of this forum i have never seen them anywhere else but by me.

Fact 3) my customers from both SF and AAAC are a very discrmininating bunch and have all been very pleased with the value of my product. Just see the replies above which even if i had to remind them the context of their replies was unprovoked.

Fact 4) i dont do nearly enough plugging for my product. If i did i wouldnt have to "remind" my happy customers about me as i did in this post.

Challenge away, thats what these fora are all about, but do so based on facts that you have uncovered, not by making accusations and putting the onus of disproving your speculation whether you believe it or not on me.

I also think it would be fair if you revealed who you were and didnt hide behind a new screen name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads