• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
I have a piece of the material that is used to keep the shape of the toe box from a Craftsman. I'd be willing to mail it to whomever would be able to determine what kind of material it is.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the RMW catalog states that the toe box is supported with a plastic insert. Does that seem plausible, based on the piece that you have?

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
It's black and feels sort of like a combination of rubber and cardboard.

m_wave

Reaction score
Wow.. this is a real eye opener for me. I've only ever seen farmers wearing these boots. I think because of this they aren't a high fashion icon here in Australia. Good to see a great Aussie iconic boot getting a run in the US and UK though.

M~

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Wow.. this is a real eye opener for me. I've only ever seen farmers wearing these boots. I think because of this they aren't a high fashion icon here in Australia. Good to see a great Aussie iconic boot getting a run in the US and UK though.

If you take a peek under the table in coorporate Australia you will often spot a pair or two being worn under a suit. People who are 'in the know' wear them. People who know old fashioned quality.

tailorrmade

Reaction score
Is there a way to order the forum boot with the square chisel toe???

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
It's black and feels sort of like a combination of rubber and cardboard.

I once had an old pair of Edward Green-made Peals crack all the way through so I took them apart to see their internal construction. The toe box was formed by what seemed essentially to be a rubber ball cut in half.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I wore my 'Specials' today and, as every other time, what I liked most about them was catching a glimpse of their profile silhouette. The nailed sole gives the waist a very distinctive curve that I don't think has been truely captured in any of the photos in this thread. This does wonders to offset their otherwise distinctive robustness.

Annoyingly though, I've had a lot of trouble getting a decent shine on them. All I've managed so far is a dull waxy gleam. I have no trouble getting a mirror shine on all my other shoes so this one is a touch perplexing.

atroopan

Reaction score
Oh man I am bummed out - I ordered a pair of Craftsmen from Steve about a month and a bit ago. I contacted him and he said he sent them by Australia Post Air on April 20th, but they still haven't arrived yet. Is there usually delays in customs or have they disappeared into the ether that is the US mail ?? Damn - this is not good ! ! !

troop
butbut.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
I wore my 'Specials' today and, as every other time, what I liked most about them was catching a glimpse of their profile silhouette. The nailed sole gives the waist a very distinctive curve that I don't think has been truely captured in any of the photos in this thread. This does wonders to offset their otherwise distinctive robustness.

Annoyingly though, I've had a lot of trouble getting a decent shine on them. All I've managed so far is a dull waxy gleam. I have no trouble getting a mirror shine on all my other shoes so this one is a touch perplexing.

Photographs while worn would be greatly appreciated!

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
Oh man I am bummed out - I ordered a pair of Craftsmen from Steve about a month and a bit ago. I contacted him and he said he sent them by Australia Post Air on April 20th, but they still haven't arrived yet. Is there usually delays in customs or have they disappeared into the ether that is the US mail ?? Damn - this is not good ! ! !

troop
butbut.gif

not to harp on the obvious but have you got a tracking number from steve. Often there is a listing if the item is in customs.

OTOH i have bought a lot of stereo equip. from overseas and have never had much of a problem on that. Could be yours is a random search....good luck.

atroopan

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get a hold of Steve since I emailed on sunday. Hopefully he answers soon
musicboohoo[1].gif

troop

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads