• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
All the more reason to get the Glashutte, you know it has a crystal back.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Good to see you are mentioning straps...all watches, especially a chrono, look best on straps imo.
39-42-14-24-04-2.jpg

It almost looks fake.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea. I'd almost be surprised to hear that at Kenjo and definitely wouldn't expect it at Wempe.

Originally Posted by gdl203
I cannot believe that anyone at Wempe would use such language. Who was the associate?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I cannot believe that anyone at Wempe would use such language. Who was the associate?

According to his card: Daniel Simone

Also don't understand why he went all the way to the window to get a black/black Evo when the SS/SS one sitting 1 ft away in the case was the one I wanted.

However, the GO PanoReserve which Tourneau has at $9200 was priced at $8895 there and he could "probably work on the price for me."

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
According to his card: Daniel Simone

Was he foreign, did he have an accent? My guess is that he actually said: "That's a big thick watch".

Again, I know the sales people at Wempe and Cellini, and I cannot imagine for a second one of them saying something like that

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
No he wasn't foreign...could have said that; but, my friend with me thought the same thing.

I don't care and wasn't offended by it, I just thought it was funny.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thought is to go with the Patek Aquanaut, in that their designs seem to last over the years--if you're just going for one watch. I have a stainless steel one and fine it to be a fine watch.
For some reason I've forgotten I always wear my Panerai while in NYC. For the one and only time a bus driver spoke to me (on the 5th Ave line) to ask me about the Panerai I was wearing--noting that he liked them because at the time few people recognized them. I suggested several place on Madison where he could try them out. (It's a white faced one.)
Please post a picture of the one you get.

Say

Reaction score
luminor-01.jpg
My apologies for moving off topic, but Shawndo, what lighter is that? My friend owned the exact lighter, but lost it. It was his prized lighter so I was hoping you could help me reunite him with his favorite lighter for his bday.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Say
My apologies for moving off topic, but Shawndo, what lighter is that? My friend owned the exact lighter, but lost it. It was his prized lighter so I was hoping you could help me reunite him with his favorite lighter for his bday.
That's a Dunhill, no?

Say

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't think the one he owned was a $300+ lighter, but maybe a reproduction of it?

What's the style called?

shawndo

Reaction score
I didn't realize the Dunhill unique was the original of this style until after I got this. Although, it's not exactly a "canal st. replica" It's a Corona "Old Boy" About half the price of a Unique.

Winot

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about this watch?

B137_Marina_Militaire_5.JPG

It's available on the Chronomaster web site with the following description:

Used but mint condition Marina Militare hand wound wristwatch. The Marina Militaire is an exact copy of the original Italian Navy divers watches from world war two. The original watch has been reproduced here to almost exact specifications of the original which was given to Italian Navy divers fifty five years ago. The case is large and substantial designed to be water proof and strong for military use - the water resistance is not tested on this watch and there is no marks on the case back to indicate water resistance. It has got a large canteen style crown clamp to secure the crown into place for water resistance. The strap is held into place, not by usual spring bars, but by screw bars for additional security. The case back is screwed on and is a plain steel back. The case is made from stainless steel. The dial is referred to as a sandwich dial where the numbers and batons are cut out of the dial and become visible as the dial is sitting on top of a base plate. The hands are gilt hands as the originals were. The hands, numbers and batons are luminous. The strap is a 26 mm wide tan leather strap with enormous pin buckle which is about identical in size to the original from 1945. The movement is a hand wound Russian made Molnia pocket watch movement. These movements are pretty durable and reliable. This is a large and heavy watch. The dimensions are as follows: width is 46 mm excluding crown and 54 mm including crown guard, Lug to lug is 57 mm, Thickness is 15 mm. Ref. NWW 442. Price is £195 or US $385

Is it legit? IS it cheap because the movement is Russian?

(I should have prefaced this by admitting that I know nothing about watches - have just dipped by toe in the water with a Nomos Tetra for wearing with a suit and now looking for a sports watch).

Many thanks, W.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Well it is legit in the sense that they are basically telling you it is a Panerai knock off in terms of styling without actually saying anything about the company they are imitating.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shawndo
I didn't realize the Dunhill unique was the original of this style until after I got this. Although, it's not exactly a "canal st. replica" It's a Corona "Old Boy" About half the price of a Unique.

Correct, its a savinelli corona "old boy" lighter. Great value in that lighter as I prefer it to my vintage dunhills and new St. Duponts. Very reasonably priced between 85$ for a simple matte black finish to 150$ for a burl tank.

MRR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads