• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ortolan
The Royal Oak screams 17 mile drive, and unless you are a golfer, I wouldn't buy it.

Really? I grew up in Monterey Bay and it was either Tags or steel/gold/blue Subs.
laugh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What's the difference between the Radimor and Luminor? I really couldn't understand the lady helping me (as in her grasp of English).

Also, I didn't check but do Panerai's have a sapphire crystal back so you can see the inner workings?

If I get a Pan it has to have a white face and black strap...if not then maybe the Black Sea (Seal?) which is all black with a ceramic housing I think.

mfj20th

Reaction score
I own a couple of the watches on your list...I disagree with iammatt about the patek sport watches--pretty silly analogy, and they couldnt be harder to get rt now...especially the jumbo Nautilus...Aquanauts are only cool if they are the jumbos as well....I think the market is really tricky on Panerai's, and the white faces dont fetch $ or hold value...the prices on the rarer ones are stupid, movements are iffy, and there is a small group pushing the price up...I am a Royal Oak fan, especially the Offshore...Glashuttes are cool, in a more accesible Lange and Sohn way, but you can get a dcent Lange for less than the AP....If you are really interested, PM me and I can get you in touch with a couple of dealers, depending on what you want. We are all members of the IWJG and NAWCC, so u are covered on legit stuff....All that said, I think the Panerais are a little played out. AP's are around and remain cool--especially the Offshores, and if you can find a jumbo aquanaut, expect to pay $11K+, and Jumbo Patek Nautilus $29K+...pretty big spread...happy to help, if you need it
MFJ

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

Also, I didn't check but do Panerai's have a sapphire crystal back so you can see the inner workings?

If I get a Pan it has to have a white face and black strap...if not then maybe the Black Sea (Seal?) which is all black with a ceramic housing I think.

All the more reason to get the Glashutte, you know it has a crystal back.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Good to see you are mentioning straps...all watches, especially a chrono, look best on straps imo.
39-42-14-24-04-2.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the Radimor and Luminor? I really couldn't understand the lady helping me (as in her grasp of English).
The case shape:
Luminor
1057944102313_vista_1_g.jpg

Radiomir
1086974673555_vista_1.jpg

There are many derivations of each (40mm to 47mm, simple base handwind to tourbillon or 8 day movements)

Most do. But a few don't.
1057944102360_vista_3_g.jpg
1086974674042_vista_3.jpg

I disagree with the choice of the white face but to each his own.

Black seal is the name of the PAM183 radiomir above. Panerai is coming with ceramic cases but Black Seal is not one of them

If you are interested in learning a bit more about Panerai, I would suggest spending a little bit of time on Paneristi. Start reading, then ask questions - this is a very friendly and tight community

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
All the more reason to get the Glashutte, you know it has a crystal back.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

[/IMG]

That's why I asked about the Panerai. I thought I read somewhere that models made after 2003 have the clear back. I didn't even look when I was in the store.

shawndo

Reaction score
Difference between radiomir and luminor. The Luminor has the "crown guard". The little device that goes over the crown that was originally there to let you wind the watch underwater, and keep its water resistance. I would normally go for the Luminor, but I can't stand the white faced one. From the list you provided, I would go with the GO PanoReserve. Off the list, I'd cnosider a - Black faced Panerai Luminor - GO PanoMaticReserve - GO Sports EVO PanoDate Also, with the Panerai, with a few exceptions, the crystal backs are only on the "base" manual-wind models. The automatics, for the most part, don't have crystal backs
luminor-01.jpg
luminor-02.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I asked about the Panerai. I thought I read somewhere that models made after 2003 have the clear back. I didn't even look when I was in the store.
Most Luminor models have had a display back since the E series (2001-02 season). Radiomir models with display backs started with the C series (1999-00 season)

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfj20th
I own a couple of the watches on your list...I disagree with iammatt about the patek sport watches--pretty silly analogy, and they couldnt be harder to get rt now...especially the jumbo Nautilus...Aquanauts are only cool if they are the jumbos as well....I think the market is really tricky on Panerai's, and the white faces dont fetch $ or hold value...the prices on the rarer ones are stupid, movements are iffy, and there is a small group pushing the price up...I am a Royal Oak fan, especially the Offshore...Glashuttes are cool, in a more accesible Lange and Sohn way, but you can get a dcent Lange for less than the AP....If you are really interested, PM me and I can get you in touch with a couple of dealers, depending on what you want. We are all members of the IWJG and NAWCC, so u are covered on legit stuff....All that said, I think the Panerais are a little played out. AP's are around and remain cool--especially the Offshores, and if you can find a jumbo aquanaut, expect to pay $11K+, and Jumbo Patek Nautilus $29K+...pretty big spread...happy to help, if you need it
MFJ

Just because something is popular and "hard to get" doesn't necessarily mean that the masses of people with a blank checks in their pockets are making a good choice. There's no accounting for taste. Indeed, by your calculus, Rolex is the best "luxury" watch; surely, Timex is the best watch of all - they sell like hotcakes.

The bottom line is people should get what appeals to their tastes. It's very easy to get caught up in the hype when models are popular, have wait-lists and sell for over MSRP. That doesn't mean you necessarily should.

For what it's worth, I agree with Matt. PP, to me, represents classic dress watches and pocket watches. Just as a Ferrari SUV is incongruous to me, so too is a Patek sport watch. For sport watches, I buy other brands.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

If you are interested in learning a bit more about Panerai, I would suggest spending a little bit of time on Paneristi. Start reading, then ask questions - this is a very friendly and tight community

Thanks for the 411. I did some poking around on that site earlier; but, was just bored at home on a Sunday night and didn't feel like joining a whole new brand specific forum and wanted to just hear what the guys here had to say about everything.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What's with the aversion to the white face Panerai?

shawndo

Reaction score

If you like it, go for it. Since the demand for that watch, I think, would make it a little easier to obtain. For the most part, Panerai's look the same. The white face, seems to me, such a departure from their identity, I'm just not used to it I suppose.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Of course I'm getting what I want. I was just asking since it came up like 2-3x in this thread (which I created more for some discussion moreso than a decision making tool).

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's just not what Panerai watches are about. If you like the historic Panerai style, you should get a black (or tobacco) face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads