• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit. Meat Enclosed. Lots of Pics.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
conservative business dress today. Have at it, negative feedback preferred. I'm going to leave the pictures big.

solito002ml3.jpg

solito003oi2.jpg

solito004dc2.jpg

solito005we6.jpg

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you pants giving you a wedgie,
smile.gif
otherwise i ithink it looks pretty good, maybee a little tight along the top portion of your back (could be your posture though.)
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How high is the gorge? I can tell it's high, but given the angle of the photos, it could be high or really high. I would have preferred the button stance a tiny bit lower, but that's me.

The pants seem to drape a little funny. In the first, straight-on photo, you can see a lot of extra fabric gathering around your left thigh. In the photo of your side profile, you can see some rippling too.

Overall though, I like it. I think there is some distortion due to the angle of the photos, which might be exaggerating the things I commented on above. To my eye, the fit of the jacket is great. It doesn't appear stiff or tight at all. I just have a personal aversion to three-button jackets.

Did you have this suit made in Naples?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
Are you pants giving you a wedgie,
smile.gif
otherwise i ithink it looks pretty good, maybee a little tight along the top portion of your back (could be your posture though.)
smile.gif

I don't think the back is tight at all--in fact there's lots of extra fabric, as you can see by the bunching near his underarms.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
This should help see the gorge height. I am short. They make me tall. edit: this is a bit lighter than IRL, but the color is correct.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
conservative business dress today.

Sigh. Looks like I'm going to have to do a tuturial on how to wear a blue shirt the conservative business dress way.

Your suit looks good, though.
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This should help see the gorge height. I am short. They make me tall.

I hear ya on that one. I had Rubinacci make my gorge high too, but admittedly not quite as high as yours. So, if you don't mind me asking again, who made this for you?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I hear ya on that one. I had Rubinacci make my gorge high too, but admittedly not quite as high as yours. So, if you don't mind me asking again, who made this for you?
No worries. Will keep it in the dark for a little while, because I have suits on the way from multiple places and don't want previous knowledge to color people's opinions.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Sigh. Looks like I'm going to have to do a tuturial on how to wear a blue shirt the conservative business dress way.

You suit looks good, though.
smile.gif

you grammer suck. The suit looks nice Tom. I like it a lot. The gorge is too high for my taste by a touch, but you are short
wink.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score

You suit looks good, though.
smile.gif

Thank your. It is indeed too spread to be true conservative business dress. Such is life.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No worries. Will keep it in the dark for a little while, because I have suits on the way from multiple places and don't want previous knowledge to color people's opinions.

Oh, interesting: blind taste-test!

You may be short, but you can't be nearly as short as me! If you don't mind me asking, if you wanted to make yourself seem taller, why three buttons and not two or one?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really like the suit, especially the pants length and cuff diameter. I like the high gorge but I don't like it when it as at the shoulder line, yours might be 1/2 inch too high for me.

You didn't ask, but I wouldn't piss on that tie if it was on fire
devil.gif
(I won't even get into the crappy knot)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Generally good... something wonky with the back of the right sleeve, but could just be the one pic.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This might be a useful exercise.

A lot of BS gets written about "balance." Some claim that a "balanced" coat is exactly the same length, front and back. Hold a ruler parallel to the floor, and the bottom edges of the coat should meet that ruler all the way around.

Hogwash. Look at Tom's coat:

solito003oi2.jpg

The front is significantly longer than the back. Is the coat out of balance? No. Look how the back traces the curves of his back. The vents close properly. The vent "panel" (for lack of a better term) lies smoothly. That is balance. It means there is enough cloth, in the right places, to properly conform to his body. Yes, overall length is a part of balance. You need length to trace that curve. But where the coat ends up at the bottom is irrelevent. It is an aesthetic choice. This tailor (like a great many tailors) prefers the front to hang a bit lower than the back. That is not a balance issue.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Oh, interesting: blind taste-test!

You may be short, but you can't be nearly as short as me! If you don't mind me asking, if you wanted to make yourself seem taller, why three buttons and not two or one?

Maybe not, but chances are you're not nearly as poorly proportioned as I am! I wanted a 2.5 for this one. Next one will probably be 2.

Originally Posted by edmorel
You didn't ask, but I wouldn't piss on that tie if it was on fire
devil.gif
(I won't even get into the crappy knot)

Just wait until I break out the purple version
marchal.gif
Actually the knot was an experiment. I wore it in a FIH with an extra wrap all day, but the tie is about two inches too long so I wanted to try something that would take up more length. It's some kind of weird variation of a Pratt.

Originally Posted by j
Generally good... something wonky with the back of the right sleeve, but could just be the one pic.
Checked again and think it's just the pic, or how I was standing there. This was also at the end of a long day.
This might be a useful exercise.
I'm a Manton exercise!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads