• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rockabilly Style

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Any quality designers making clothing or shoes that isn't necessarily RAB but could be worn as such? I'm just looking for ideas to put together a look.

This was the one point that always drove me a bit nuts, how RAB guys were so reluctant to wear anything modern, even if the stylistic details were spot on.

Band of Outsiders has 2 shirt-jacs (one is red gingham, one is white w/blue stripe) that is a very authentic repro of a 50s shirt

Western shirts have never changed style so you can't go wrong with a modern western. The one thing vintage ones have over modern is the elaborate embroidery and the awesome rayon gabardine fabric w/MoP snap buttons. But the problem with wearing a nice vintage western it's easy to look like you're part of a rodeo troupe.

It's one of those looks where you could even put together a RAB vibe with just APC, esp if you happen to have a pompadour. The haircut suddenly makes EVERYTHING look rockabilly.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but these are some of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen. What's the appeal? Just retro nostalgia??

creepers.jpg

creepers1.jpg

weltcrepe.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
different strokes for different folks

but that bottom row is pretty nasty...the top 2 are classic creeper style

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Maybe it was only the ones I've ever seen around when getting my tattoos or in certain parts of LA; but, it always seems that they travel in "pairs"/couples. Seeing one alone was one thing; but, I don't think I ever saw a couple where they both weren't rockabilly (I don't know if for a girl it is called the same...but some play on a poodle skirt, heavy face makeup, retro hair, lunch lady glasses, etc). Not like I ever saw a rockabilly dude with some regular chick.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Maybe it was only the ones I've ever seen around when getting my tattoos or in certain parts of LA; but, it always seems that they travel in "pairs"/couples. Seeing one alone was one thing; but, I don't think I ever saw a couple where they both weren't rockabilly (I don't know if for a girl it is called the same...but some play on a poodle skirt, heavy face makeup, retro hair, lunch lady glasses, etc). Not like I ever saw a rockabilly dude with some regular chick.

Can't say I'm surprised - these sorts of narrow sartorial interests tend only to appeal to other people who are "in the know."

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Hate to say it, but these are some of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen. What's the appeal? Just retro nostalgia??

creepers.jpg

creepers1.jpg

weltcrepe.jpg

By themselves I think they look pretty fugly, but on the right person with the rest of the proper rockabilly getup, it looks cool. I like rockabilly stylee.

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

They'll get chastised for dating a "square."
tounge.gif

But it's really no different from what the majority of the population does, wealthy guy dates wealthy chick, metal dude dates metal rocker girl, stripper dates musician, fratboy dates sorority girl, etc...

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
This was the one point that always drove me a bit nuts, how RAB guys were so reluctant to wear anything modern, even if the stylistic details were spot on. ... Western shirts have never changed style so you can't go wrong with a modern western. The one thing vintage ones have over modern is the elaborate embroidery and the awesome rayon gabardine fabric w/MoP snap buttons. But the problem with wearing a nice vintage western it's easy to look like you're part of a rodeo troupe. It's one of those looks where you could even put together a RAB vibe with just APC, esp if you happen to have a pompadour. The haircut suddenly makes EVERYTHING look rockabilly.
*As Social Distortion starts playing on my computer*
laugh.gif
"I was wrong!" Yeah, that's why I was trying to put together some RAB details. I know how to rawk it and I can put the look together but no one in particular has just the RAB style specifically. Dsquared had a bunch of jackets and shirts (squared off and western) a couple of years ago before they went on their Jesus kick and the regular western stuff is always around. I've even found some good stuff at J. Crew and B Rep. I have seen some of JD's and Marlon Brando's early stuff. Some Elvis stuff also. I'll check out some of the other movies and books you recommended.
Augusto86;507554 said:
creepers.jpg
I'd wear the blue and white/black zebra striped!
laugh.gif
I'm not sure of the history of creepers. I'm pretty sure it started in Europe, probably with the cafe racers. I just remember being a teenager on South Street in Philly seeing Doc Martens for the first time and buying my first pair of pre worn jeans at Zipperhead (or Skinz - don't remember which). It's been downhill ever since.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'm not sure of the history of creepers. I'm pretty sure it started in Europe, probably with the cafe racers.

Yea George Cox was the first to create the "Creeper" in 1949. The Teds adopted it as part of their uniform in early 50s but I've never heard for what purpose the creeper was originally created for. It got it's name "Brothel creeper" because the crepe sole made no noise so you could skulk about quietly, I suppose while enjoying the services of a brothel so no one could hear you coming/going. They also went by the name "beetlecrushers" since the thick heavy sole was probably good for stomping on bugs.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Here's some pics of gear I used to have:

George Cox blue suede creepers
Geronimo repro gabardine jacket
vintage l/s cableknit sweater
vintage l/s gabardine shirt
a couple pics from 2000 when I was Mr Rockabilly Guy

rockabillyek5.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
They also drive vintage American cars to complement their outfits.

yep, I used to drive a 54 bel air, chopped, frenched headlights, custom taillights, slammed. Most of my rockabilly friends all have a classic car of some sort as well.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rockabillyek5.jpg

I forgot about the rolled sleeves!

Rockabilly chicks are usually as curvy as those old cars!
inlove.gif

Augusto86

Reaction score
Here's some pics of gear I used to have:

George Cox blue suede creepers
Geronimo repro gabardine jacket
vintage l/s cableknit sweater
vintage l/s gabardine shirt
a couple pics from 2000 when I was Mr Rockabilly Guy

rockabillyek5.jpg

Wow! I have to say, my initial reaction was "rockabilly...meh..." because the whole thing just seemed way to retro. But seeing those pics I have to say you really rocked the whole look really hard - you look like a badass Asian James Dean. Helps that you look cool in everything.

Still think the look would be better with motorcycle boots or something.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
To the person who was looking for higher quality Creepers; I know Comme Des Garçons did release a model in various colourways.

April77 is also a brand with a lot of Neo-Rockabilly influences.

Goblin

Reaction score
Coincidentally, I just went in to have a few tattoos touched up, and one of the tattoo guys' wife bought him a pair of creepers that are too small for him, so he's selling them to me for $20. I don't know the brand or anything except that they're apparently black and white, and have the high crepe soles rather than the more sedate rise. But, $20 for creepers, so I'll have fun new shoes for the upcoming Two Timin' Four show.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

In more unfortunate psychobilly news, I'm bailing on the Unknown Hinson show tonight because I've seen him before, he comes through here often, and I have a full docket tomorrow, so I'll feel pretty assy if I stay out late tonight.
benzo.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads