• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monogramming~

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Also, does this really look as flashy as sleeve tags...
No. Sleeve tags are a sign of ignorance. This is simply pompous (IMO)

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
No. Sleeve tags are a sign of ignorance. This is simply pompous (IMO)

Why?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why?
I am going to have to agree with GDL here. The only reason for a visible monogram is if you can't remember your name. Something like that just shouts and good style tends to be a bit more subtle.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am going to have to agree with GDL here. The only reason for a visible monogram is if you can't remember your name. Something like that just shouts and good style tends to be a bit more subtle.
*shrug* Maybe so. I just sort of like the little pagoda shape, I could really care less if it had my name in it. But I'll keep doing it because hey, I'm in college and what the hell... Like I said at the beginning, I know it's vain. So I'll indulge myself in this and move on...y'all probably hold me beyond contempt for R&R bootcut jeans and black suits, anyways, so it's not like this battle is going to win me any points. I've found I'm just a bit of a flashy person and I've embraced that.

Aries

Reaction score

Hmm, I'm clearly in the minority here, but I've gotta side with Augosto in this particular case. The abstract nature of the monogram along with its small size and subdued colors strike the correct balance of lending the shirts a unique character without being tacky. If the monogram would have been bright or showy,such as $$, it would have been another story. I think most people of style also have quirks which separate them from the pack, quirks that others probably can't pull off.An example that comes to mind is Gianni Agnelli's well known habit of wearing his watch over his cuffs. Odd placement, but clearly it didn't look tacky on him. Just my 2 cents.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A monogram on the cuff is not a "quirk". It's an option offered by all shirtmakers.

I'm not saying different is always bad. Just my opinion that a monogram on the cuff (especially if it can be seen with the jacket on!) is a bit pompous or tacky. Now, if it makes Augusto happy, by all means, enjoy them. Doesn't work for me though...

I'm ready to bet that Augusto will grow out of this prettty quickly...

Aries

Reaction score
A monogram on the cuff is not a "quirk". It's an option offered by all shirtmakers.

I'm not saying different is always bad. Just my opinion that a monogram on the cuff (especially if it can be seen with the jacket on!) is a bit pompous or tacky. Now, if it makes Augusto happy, by all means, enjoy them. Doesn't work for me though...

I'm ready to bet that Augusto will grow out of this prettty quickly...

I stand corrected in having mis-stated my opinion by using the term "quirk". I should have used the term unique instead, owing to the rarity of people opting for monogrammed cuffs, IME. In any case, in my opinion it looks good.

However, I hold your opinion in high regard because I think you are a veritable encyclopedia of sartorial matters, as witnessed by me on this forum. Your knowledge in these matters surpasses that of most on here, particularly mine.

Regarding a bet as to Augosto's monogramming habits in the future, you're on your own, because I don't have the capability to make a decision due to the subjective nature of this matter, as well as the fact that I don't even personally know him.
smile.gif

Augusto86

Reaction score
A monogram on the cuff is not a "quirk". It's an option offered by all shirtmakers. I'm not saying different is always bad. Just my opinion that a monogram on the cuff (especially if it can be seen with the jacket on!) is a bit pompous or tacky. Now, if it makes Augusto happy, by all means, enjoy them. Doesn't work for me though... I'm ready to bet that Augusto will grow out of this prettty quickly...
In precisely 1 year when I have to go join the real world, cut my hair, and stop wearing French Cuffs everywhere. Until then rock out with *******(and initials)out.
devil.gif

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
In precisely 1 year when I have to go join the real world, cut my hair, and stop wearing French Cuffs everywhere.

Why would you stop wearing French Cuffs? That's a terrible idea.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my coat pretty much any time I am not seated at my desk. This means nobody can tell if I am wearing a shirt that is unmonogrammed, monogrammed at the waist or chest, or has "HE HATE ME" stitched in two inch letters across the yoke.

In fact, I think I'll have Ricky make me a HE HATE ME shirt next time around. If we do a SF get-together I'll leave it to you to guess whether I'm wearing it.

Rolo

Reaction score
Augusto,

Anyone who can pull off the red shirt with the contrast stitching can easily pull off the monogram. Most can't. Some can. Go for it.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
Why would you stop wearing French Cuffs? That's a terrible idea.

Because I wear them all the time, with jeans or whatever, and that's:

Originally Posted by dhc905
to be flashy

Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
Sad.

Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
trying to show the world that you have nice custom-made clothes...

simply pompous (IMO)

Something like that just shouts.

a bit pompous or tacky.

devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

God, why do I even keep resurrecting this...I feel like Conne, asking to be flagellated.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I wear french/double cuffs all the time and I couldn't disagree more about that characterization. Equating them to a monogram of one's initials seems like quite a stretch to me.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the comments quoted above referred to FC - at least none of mine

Augusto86

Reaction score
None of the comments quoted above referred to FC - at least none of mine

Oh, I know...I was just being snarky. But all the same comments about the monograms I have also heard from various forumites - not you particularly - about French Cuffs in non-formal settings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads