• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monogramming~

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I had shirts made, I asked the lady who did them for me, to embroider her name on the shirttail. For the last ten years or so, I've bought rtw.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
FWIW, my Monogram is not a big traditional letters or diamond shape but rather Jantzen's little pagoda design with my initials inside. I really like to tell people about Jantzen because I think he does a good job, and so I like to have the monogram as a sort of Makers' Mark, so that he gets credit.

monograms.jpg

Isn't this the traditional placement anyhow?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So it's detachable?

No, that would be his monogrammed nipples.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The exact same point as doing anything for yourself only, without being shared/shown to others. Some people enjoy wearing silk underwear, I enjoy having my monogram inside the yoke of my shirts. I don't need anyone else to see it for me to be happy

+1 except I don't monogram, period. The inside of my shirt has the tailor's label, my initials in block letters and the month/year the shirt was made. They asked if I wanted monograms and I declined.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Some guy's bitemarks don't constitute a monogram.

pwned!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
+1 except I don't monogram, period. The inside of my shirt has the tailor's label, my initials in block letters and the month/year the shirt was made. They asked if I wanted monograms and I declined.

Your initials in block letters = a monogram

soulstylist

Reaction score
....makes only sense to me if you have your shirts cleaned or even more if you live with a huge family where the male part have about the same size (and taste in shirts) and where the washing is done at home...

...as I live allone and do my own laundry - no monograms for me. But each to his own...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Your initials in block letters = a monogram

They're printed on the label. I've always considered a monogram as something that had to be sewn-in.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Seriously, it's a clothing forum. We get pleasure out of nice, custom-made clothes. That's the ******* point.

There is a difference between enjoying nice, custom-made clothes and trying to show the world that you have nice custom-made clothes...

Btw, I fail to see the difference between monograms on cuffs and guys who keep the tags on the sleeve of their newly purchased glued suits...

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
There is a difference between enjoying nice, custom-made clothes and trying to show the world that you have nice custom-made clothes...

Btw, I fail to see the difference between monograms on cuffs and guys who keep the tags on the sleeve of their newly purchased glued suits...

They are clothes. Last I checked, they go on the outside of the body. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's all in your personal pleasure. You wear clothes out of vanity, and so do I, and so do all of us on StyleForum. We also enjoy the crafting and collecting and maintenance of said clothes, but if that was our main priority we would be tailors, not hobbyists.

We wear clothes because we want to look nice, and show the world ourselves looking nice. My Jantzen shirts look custom regardless of the monogram, but I think it adds an individualistic touch that most clothes lack. I am comfortable with the role of my clothing in my vanity. You don't seem to be.

Also, does this really look as flashy as sleeve tags...:

Random032.jpg

Random033.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads