• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you dance? And do you?

tiratela

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
As a Dominican i am forced to know how to dance. It is a big thing in my culture. I dance merengue,bachata, reggaeton, reggae, hip-hop. And you better belive i like it.

Dominican here too... Dancing is in our blood. I'm married to a "white girl" with some rythm. When we go out, she says that I tend to show-off when I'm doing Salsa and Bachata.. but.. who cares.. I'm having fun.

I recommend you guys that don't dance at all to take a local Salsa, Merengue (Latin Dance) Class. If you're single, it's nice to have those tools in your box, especially in a Latin Club. If you're married, it's nice to be able to bond with your wife, and do a little showing off once in a while.

nod[1].gif

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I couldn't dance decently if my life depended on it. I don't even have moves to get by. There is a salsa dancing place not too far away and the teacher says he can turn anyone into a decent dancer. Have I got a challenge for him!!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You need to at least get rhythm down before you can dance. Try nodding your head to music, head banging and generally rocking the **** out.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
russian.gif

Of course, I can . . .

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Salsa, bachata, merengue and Tango !

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
I couldn't dance decently if my life depended on it. I don't even have moves to get by. There is a salsa dancing place not too far away and the teacher says he can turn anyone into a decent dancer. Have I got a challenge for him!!

I'd encourage you to try. I was in much the same situation as you. I've taken some private lessons now and while I'm far from good, I'm starting to get by. In about a month I should be at a passable level that I won't feel completely ****** about ;p

It's really tough for a man that's never danced before and is probably more than a little inhibited about it. You have to learn to lead, you need to learn rhythm, timing, and all your basic steps. Finally, you need to learn how to blend it together in to a cohesive dance. And dancing in a club is way different than dancing with your instructor. You're boxed in and chances are that your partner isn't as good a follower as your instructor so she won't magically do what you want unless you provide clear signals.

It's true what they say though, a good dancer is made. I'm taking privates and I'm definitely improving. Now that I've become more comfortable dancing I'm going to switch in to group classes to meet more people, and hopefully a partner that i can practice a lot with. Practice is really the key. And download or buy some salsa music, you need to learn the beats so that you can time your steps correctly. Practice every night on your own to wire-in the movements so that you've got them down when you go out to a club. Practice blending different moves together.

How old are you btw?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Two-step, polka, and waltz. Tried jitterbug but don't have the patience to learn. Another downside is that after a few beers the two-step gets easy enough but the jitterbug gets a lot harder.

But, that was in my single days.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone here do the boogaloo -- electric or otherwise?

Sharon Jones claims that in New York, she even did the dap-dip/boogaloo combination, y'all.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I can boogie.

I have been perfecting the Weejun Scuffle.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can Skank and dance at raves but dancing to anything else and I get embarased at how bad I suck.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the boogaloo. It was popular while I was in jr. high. We had a variation, called 'the skate.' I liked that one better. The Conga is fun. So is 'the bug' The Cha Cha was fun. The swim, the pony, the hitchhiker, the bump, the mashed potatoes, the jerk. The twist. They all had their day.

My favorite is a Cretan war dance: the Pentozali. It's difficult and requires a lot of energy. Fast footwork.

seanchai

Reaction score
If the answer to one of these questions has to be "no", it should definitely be the first one.

Therefore, no, and yes. I can easily convince myself that I can dance, particularly with red wine therapy, and I've been known to own a dance floor or two with R Kelly's stepping game. I would love to learn how to salsa, because I think it takes too much cojones to dance it the way I do and not die of embarrassment.

migo

Reaction score
yes...especially when there's women to dance with
smile.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
If the answer to one of these questions has to be "no", it should definitely be the first one.

Therefore, no, and yes. I can easily convince myself that I can dance, particularly with red wine therapy, and I've been known to own a dance floor or two with R Kelly's stepping game. I would love to learn how to salsa, because I think it takes too much cojones to dance it the way I do and not die of embarrassment.

Embarrassment? You haven't seen my YouTube video.

Bourbon + Tina Turner=dancing disaster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads