• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
For what it's worth, my small toes do not enter the form. They rest next to soft leather. One of my boots was initially a bit snug at the small toe, but the leather stretched out nicely.

Same here.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm a 13D in just about every shoe. I got an AE loafer 4 last shell that's too loose. I actually think I'm about a 12.5. So should I go down to an 11.5? 11?(AU)

Isak Bengtsbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you put thin insoles in them, they will snug back up.

I must sound like a shill for the "thin insole" industry.

They look great, BTW.

+ 1. I always do that with great result. I could order a more snug size but I find that to be too uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Isak and England, any photos of how the boots look with the rubber sole? How comfortable are they for walking several km in?

I would say that they're among my most comfortable shoes. I haven't walked that long yet but I see no reason why there would be any problems.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Never use loafers to try to figure out the fit of a boot or a lace up shoe. Loafers need to be a bit smaller so the heel won't slip.

Okay, so what size should I go with?

amlai

Reaction score
Thank you Sator for the fantastic sizing comparison between RM Williams, AE, C&J, and Lobb.

Has anyone here done any comparisons between the RM Williams lasts and the Alden or EG lasts? E.g., I know I am a 9D in the Truebalance last, but a 9E in the Plaza last, and a 9/9.5D in the 202. I realize that I should really just go up to the RM Williams store in NYC and try something on, but I always feel bad when I go somewhere just to figure out the size and then buy from somewhere else. (Though I did try to find the store a week ago without any luck... sadly I got up to where I thought 46 E. 59th St. should be and didn't see it. Probably just me being blind.
blush.gif
)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai

Has anyone here done any comparisons between the RM Williams lasts and the Alden or EG lasts? E.g., I know I am a 9D in the Truebalance last, but a 9E in the Plaza last, and a 9/9.5D in the 202.

EG sizing is too idiosyncratic to really permit me to use them as the basis of a sizing guide. I wear 8/8.5D in the 202 last but I am a 7.5E in the RMW B529 last. I find it faintly bizarre that I can fit a UK size 8 shoe, as with most UK makers I wear a size 7.

Aldens are so variable from last to last that I find it really hard to use them as a sizing yard stick. Also, I am less familiar with their lasts which suit my foot less.

So I settled on AE PAs because they are easy to find anywhere in the US.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest following the guide at the start of the thread

Yeah, I did, but people are talking about slipping.
I just measured my foot and it only comes out to 10.5in, yet I wear a 13 shoe.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sizing is giving me a hernia lol. I'm determined to order soon though hehe

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
Yeah, I did, but people are talking about slipping.

Most are saying that if you follow my guidelines the boots come out really tight - some say too much so. Steve is recommending that you go up a size from my recommendations for the forum model as a result. I can only do so much. It took me hours to put together what I did. If you go through my guide that is the best I can do. Sorry but I'm not a vedor. Let us know how it works out.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most are saying that if you follow my guidelines the boots come out really tight - some say too much so. Steve is recommending that you go up a size from my recommendations for the forum model as a result. I can only do so much. It took me hours to put together what I did. If you go through my guide that is the best I can do. Sorry but I'm not a vedor. Let us know how it works out.

Oh, I didn't mean anything against you, but when and if I do order them I don't want to have them too tight or too loose as my foot is persnickity.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
Oh, I didn't mean anything against you, but when and if I do order them I don't want to have them too tight or too loose as my foot is persnickity.

I understand but it is very hard. Some say too loose others too tight. Overall when you base your size on the Park Avenues, this works the best. I suggest you try them on - or anything on the AE Nr 5 last. Take it from there.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You mean these
smile.gif

KIF_3652.jpg

Sorry to bother the forum again, but are these the whiskey forum special craftsman. Im trying to decide between the forum special and the comfort craftsman.....i like the color in this pic.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Sorry to bother the forum again, but are these the whiskey forum special craftsman. Im trying to decide between the forum special and the comfort craftsman.....i like the color in this pic.

That looks like the normal Craftsman in whiskey actually...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads