• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jobless

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partners leave. Clients leave. Law firms close every day. Just never thought it would happen to me.

I always understood the practice of law. I understood the importance of developing into a well rounded attorney. I understood the importance of networking and developing your own clients. So how did I end up as one of those associates that sits around in his office waiting for work? Easy. Big paychecks, heavy workload and constant assurances from the higher-ups that the firm has plenty of business. Spare time was spent consuming luxury cars, 1080p LCD televisions, nice booze, expensive vacations, a condo, etc. Even found the time to get engaged. Job security was the last thing on my mind. "Do a good job and in seven years you'll be a partner." It seemed inconceivable that my office would fold. But it did.

Anyways. I don't find my predicament very sad. That isn't the point of this thread. The point is that you shouldn't wait for it to happen to you before you realize that it can. This was my wakeup call. A much needed dose of reality to shake me out of complacency. No matter how dedicated you might be to your job, please remember to look out for yourself.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.

Hopefully, the experience you gained at your firm will help you land another job in short order. Perhaps this is a positive you can take away from your experience.

Best of luck!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Don't be too hard on yourself -- client development is really, really hard if you're an associate unless you're a legal superstar because clients would rather send business a partner's way. (It is for this reason that the oxymoronic "income partner" position was created, allowing an individual who is effectively a senior associate to represent to potential clients that he is a partner.) The good thing about law is that it's a little easier than other professions to find a job because it is less specialized. Good luck in your search!

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year I worked at a company here in CT as a designer making good money. I was there for 4 years, some of the people in the company for 30+ years and the company itself was over 100 years old. At the beginning of last year it was announced to all of us that the company was bought and would be dissolved and everyone made a mad scramble. I went freelance but many of the people in the company who I still talk to have yet to find work, even at the Sr. VP and Director level. Of course the VPs each took $1mil+ and the CEO a couple mil at the expense of us all so they have a nice little cushion to fall back on.

I miss the steady good money but when I look back I realize things were stagnant and I felt almost stuck in the position. I had been freelancing for 5 years so it wasn't a huge hit to go freelance but I wasn't prepared to need the amount of work needed to support my income 100%.

But yeah things happen fast and unexpectedly sometimes, and the old saying "Expect the best, plan for the worst" seems to hold true.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I, too, am saddened by your predicament, but your attitude will carry you. In circumstances such as this, I advise friends to read a book which has helped me time after time: The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews. Reminds us to persist, to be grateful and to seize the moment. From your words, you'll do just fine.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edited: never mind, probably more than you'd want to reveal...

JayGatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Partners leave. Clients leave. Law firms close every day. Just never thought it would happen to me.

I always understood the practice of law. I understood the importance of developing into a well rounded attorney. I understood the importance of networking and developing your own clients. So how did I end up as one of those associates that sits around in his office waiting for work? Easy. Big paychecks, heavy workload and constant assurances from the higher-ups that the firm has plenty of business. Spare time was spent consuming luxury cars, 1080p LCD televisions, nice booze, expensive vacations, a condo, etc. Even found the time to get engaged. Job security was the last thing on my mind. "Do a good job and in seven years you'll be a partner." It seemed inconceivable that my office would fold. But it did.

Anyways. I don't find my predicament very sad. That isn't the point of this thread. The point is that you shouldn't wait for it to happen to you before you realize that it can. This was my wakeup call. A much needed dose of reality to shake me out of complacency. No matter how dedicated you might be to your job, please remember to look out for yourself.

DAMN! I'm sorry to hear that, I hope everything turns out fine. Oh, thank you very much 4 your advice.

J.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is my last post from my office. Dropped off the keys, laptop, parking pass and treo. Picked up a month of severance. Gonna miss my office and my great view of the Standard rooftop bar. Just like that, done and done.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
GL, man. If you're interested in knowing which of the LA legal headhunters I respect -- or if you want to shoot your CV or general info to me for whatever half-baked suggestions or leads I might be able to come up with -- PM me.
But regardless, I'm sure it'll all be fine. Those kinds of things can be discombobulating, but generally amount to little more than bumps in the road.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn man, I hope you find yourself another job. I'm just about to start working and I'm really looking forward to it, but yeah that's crazy.

Best of luck to you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck. I was on the job market myself last year, and got the best possible job I could hope for. hope same happens to you.

if you need an ear to chat with, feel free to PM.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Look at the bright side. At least you can sleep in tomorrow!

Seriously though, that sucks. I've had family members in similar situations but without an advanced degree. Your dedication to your work comes through in your words and i'm sure you'll land another job soon.

GL

MrR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads