• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs 2007

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
Actually watched the Cannucks/Ducks game last night and Luongo is the only reason Vancouver is even in this series. Anaheim controlled the game for the most part but he's unreal.
No way, the Canucks marginally outplayed Anaheim in the second game. They had prolonged pressure in the offensive zone and had numerous chances (although few of them were very DANGEROUS). Anaheim had fewer shots and fewer scoring chances, but the difference is that most of them were quality. The defenseman really stepped it up, with half of our top-4 D injured, by blocking shots and playing smarter D than the first shame of a game.

The Canucks really need to get their powerplay going; the Sedins have to stop passing around looking for the tic-tac-toe play and just go for the shot-and-a-rebound play that Anaheim does with Pronger and Neidermayer at the point.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
What Zubrus cheap move are you referring to? Also, I don't think he's a scrub - He has shown he is a dominant physical player with quite a bit of skill along the boards.

Otherwise, I thought Buffalo played a fairly lousy game, and an especially torrid second period. But Miller made the stops to win the game.

He high stciked Avery in game 2 across the throat. Compared to Avery, he's a zero. I don't like it when goons go after your stars.

Miller is on fire right now.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid win for the Devils last night. Although, in the first period they played some of their best hockey and then kind of dropped off for the rest of the game. Awesome goal by Langenbrunner at the end. The way he forced the puck into the goal just shows his determination to pick up a W in that game.

Kevin

Reaction score
Lazy play by the Sabres this afternoon, coupled with an absent power play (1 for 9?) keeps the Rangers in the series. Miller was the only standout from Buffalo, Jagr had a solid game despite three trips to the box in the early periods.

At least Buffalo will be able to wrap up the series on home ice for the fans.

adversity04

Reaction score
Ya, just finished watching that. The Rangers played real well and deserved the W. Just wish it didn't go so long, too much suspense and my project partner is gonna kill me
plain.gif

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
He high stciked Avery in game 2 across the throat. Compared to Avery, he's a zero. I don't like it when goons go after your stars.

Miller is on fire right now.

Some stars are, themselves, goons and when they go after your team's stars and publically claim that they are trying to injur them you open yourself up to a little bit of rough play.
confused.gif
After what Avery said he planned to do I was actually a little disappointed that his trachea wasn't collapsed on the play. Well, maybe not quite that extreme but in all honesty Avery is the only player of any sport that I have actually wanted to see injured in the playoffs. As you put it yourself " I don't like it when goons go after your stars".

That being said, if you've watched Zubrus down the stretch and in the first few games of the post season you would see that he's playing well beyond what most people would have expected of him.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevin
Lazy play by the Sabres this afternoon, coupled with an absent power play (1 for 9?) keeps the Rangers in the series. Miller was the only standout from Buffalo, Jagr had a solid game despite three trips to the box in the early periods.

At least Buffalo will be able to wrap up the series on home ice for the fans.

Actually the Rangers got robbed by that lame-o penalty on Shanahan late in the 3rd. Buffalo hasnt had good post season PPs. They may be the best in the East but they have several weak spots. Miller did save their bacon many times; that stop of the puck with the small of his back was awesome.

Another thing, Buffalo got an awful lot of PPs off of terrible calls by the officials. I know the NHL is a commercial shell of its former self but trying to give Buffalo that game 7 times over ( 6 in a row crap penalties called and a goal taken away on a bogus interpretation of the kicking rule).

Although many of the Hockey-Lite fans probably like this new two hand touch version of hockey with its ala carte penalties menu, the broader market isnt going to care about this league until it reduces itself to 16 teams and creates some real rivalry pressure.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
Ya, just finished watching that. The Rangers played real well and deserved the W. Just wish it didn't go so long, too much suspense and my project partner is gonna kill me
plain.gif

Yeah after watching 5 hours of play, I have to admit that missing the winning goal was tiring.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Actually the Rangers got robbed by that lame-o penalty on Shanahan late in the 3rd. Buffalo hasnt had good post season PPs. They may be the best in the East but they have several weak spots. Miller did save their bacon many times; that stop of the puck with the small of his back was awesome.

Another thing, Buffalo got an awful lot of PPs off of terrible calls by the officials. I know the NHL is a commercial shell of its former self but trying to give Buffalo that game 7 times over ( 6 in a row crap penalties called and a goal taken away on a bogus interpretation of the kicking rule).

Although many of the Hockey-Lite fans probably like this new two hand touch version of hockey with its ala carte penalties menu, the broader market isnt going to care about this league until it reduces itself to 16 teams and creates some real rivalry pressure.

Lame as the penalty may have been, it was consistent with the rules and when done in front of the official it should be called every time. When a defenseless player is sliding head first towards the boards and you check him into an even more defenseless position that's considered a lame-o penalty?
plain.gif
How about Shannahan using his head in that situation.

You're correct about some of the lame penalties, but don't for a moment think that it doesn't work both ways. There were some great acting jobs last night by the Rangers that should have received acadamy awards along with the 2:00 minor. I wish NHL offifciating could be more consistent and accurate, I have yet to discuss an NHL game this year with a fan of the opponent without one of us (if not both) whining about calls that were made....

As for the Buffalo PP, it has been sh*tty all year, so the playoffs are pretty much status quo in that regard. To your point about weak spots, one of their biggest is not being aggressive enough and trying to win on the prettiest 9-pass play they can muster......

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Lame as the penalty may have been, it was consistent with the rules and when done in front of the official it should be called every time. When a defenseless player is sliding head first towards the boards and you check him into an even more defenseless position that's considered a lame-o penalty?
plain.gif
How about Shannahan using his head in that situation.

You're correct about some of the lame penalties, but don't for a moment think that it doesn't work both ways. There were some great acting jobs last night by the Rangers that should have received acadamy awards along with the 2:00 minor. I wish NHL offifciating could be more consistent and accurate, I have yet to discuss an NHL game this year with a fan of the opponent without one of us (if not both) whining about calls that were made....

As for the Buffalo PP, it has been sh*tty all year, so the playoffs are pretty much status quo in that regard. To your point about weak spots, one of their biggest is not being aggressive enough and trying to win on the prettiest 9-pass play they can muster......

Shannahan should indeed have used some grey matter there with like 9 minutes to go in the game. At the same time, the penalty was lame, he was just trying to disengage the guy, even if it looked like he was doing it with gusto.

The Rangers are good actors by virtue of being on Broadway, what's the Sabres' excuse?
smile.gif

That tying goal by the Sabres was a thing of beauty. I wish the Rangers could execute off the corners like that. But then I wish I were a fish on a dish.

The Sabres are a better team than the Rangers, the Rangers just happen to be lucky that their defensive play is tight and lundqvist is giving the performance of his post season career. He probably knows Montoya is coming for his job.

adversity04

Reaction score
The Buffalo power play has been bad all season, it was hoped that when Connelly came back things would be better.....but they haven't. It seemed like it would be for the last two games of the regular season and for the early part of the Islander series, but he isn't panning out like we all hoped he would. That could be expected with an 11 month recovery though.

Expect tonight's game to be good. Both teams want this and the Rangers definitely don't want to go back to Buffalo down 3-1. This was on the front page of NHL.com covering how LIndy Ruff is sick of the Sabres trying to be pretty and skate/pass around. It made me laugh.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=301854

Damn this bad ice of the Garden.

adversity04

Reaction score
We need to play the entire game like we did the last 10 minutes. I think my roommates got scared cause I was yelling so much. I think I heard a "he has tourettes" comment from one of them. If the angle of the back camera was better they would have rule it a goal....not to mention a better frame rate
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads