• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Financial Worth of the Forums (and related sites)

fighetta

Reaction score
I went to a site to find out the financial worth of the different web forums and some related sites. Here is a list of some. It is based on hit data and probablysome other stuff:

Styleforum: 48,400
AskAndys: 32,364
The Fedora Lounge: 24,380
The Sartorialist: 15,850
A Suitable Wardrobe: 500
Film Noir Buff: 410
The London Lounge: 370

Interesting stuff. Go SF!!!!!!!

Pretty interesting website this all came from.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm, and which web site would this be? Rather difficult gauging the value of the information without knowing who is responsible for it.

That said, pretty cool for j if he decides to sell.
smile.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What website is that? gorgekko made his post while i was typing mine

Dashing1

Reaction score
What website did you use to reach these estimates. I'd be interested to see how that works.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashing1
What website did you use to reach these estimates. I'd be interested to see how that works.

Ten to one they're just multiplying traffic by some constant representing the average going rate for an internet ad. No analysis of the staying-power of a website, demographics, or likely ads. The only question is how many years is he taking it out to. My guess is much longer than is realistic for 95% of websites to get those inflated numbers... I could be wrong, though.

passingtime

Reaction score
These are usually based on Alexa numbers which aren't the most reliable way of judging a web site (it isn't exactly rocket science to up your rating). Alexa makes an estimate based on your number of readers who have the Alexa toolbar installed. As the population with this toolbar is quite a small number there is huge leverage when they extrapolate to get the ranking.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=styleforum.net&x=0&y=0

prozach1576

Reaction score
These boards would seem to be quite valuable. People essentially come here to learn about how to spend relatively large amounts of money on luxury items. Just look at people chomping at the bit for the 5EPxSF denim over in Streetwear. That's a pretty sizable transaction generated entirely by the board.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These sites are very important because they tend to be perceived as impartial sources of information...
They have been created by real fashion pasonarias and are now reaching a certain level of recognition in our little community,making them interesting commercial /marketing tools..
However ,they're only worth their image and reputation which is a very fragile base for a durable business...
Their main asst is based on the fact that Bespoke customers tend to buy not in a functional/rational way but on a deeper and complex level making these sites extremely useful tools to attract /retain a very bohemian segment of the luxury market...
They also regroup a lot of potential customers for bespoke operations for example....
G&G or Charvet for example,are conscious of this fact...
Anthny Delos in PARIS ,who is actually making me bespoke shoes told me that a lot of customers came to him after discovering his models on Style forum or Souliers.net ,the French equivalent...
I know Berluti is now sending directly to souliers.net some product information...
There is a potential risk in the future of manipulation but as connaiseurs we're a little more inclined to recognize an obvious misreprensentation of reality or do we?
devil.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to suspect this methodology. It valued the ANZ Bank's internet banking site at $150k. They spent about $50 mill developing it, and would have had a > 15% ROI business case to do so, so I suspect they'd value it more highly.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I'd have to suspect this methodology. It valued the ANZ Bank's internet banking site at $150k. They spent about $50 mill developing it, and would have had a > 15% ROI business case to do so, so I suspect they'd value it more highly.

The website might be worth more to the owner than it is to an investor.

I believe the methodology is purely assessing the type and kind of traffic in order to generate revenue from ads. Styleforum is worth what it is to an investor because that investor knows how much money he can make from ads based on the number of visitors.

Also, the large amount spent on a complicated online web banking website does not all go into creating content and pretty pages. They spend large amounts of money on backend infrastructure, security, and boatloads of overhead. That doesn't really translate well into clicks and hits since some of it is driven purely on legislation or 3rd party requirements, and not driven by what customers need or want in a web site.

victory

Reaction score
This definitely wouldn't be very accurate because it's an automated tool. I would guess Style Forum would be worth quite a bit. I have my own golf forum that probably has less traffic than this forum but I've gotten some very generous offers for it.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey J no comments? Your on your way to being rich.
smile.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, according to that web site, my online magazine -- Enter Stage Right -- is worth $89,488. By comparison, CNN's web site is worth $74,732,000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads