• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies that blow

Kopite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
How so? I didn't think either was great, but both were ok with some solid performances.

I suppose it was the theme as it was targeted at women as opposed to men. Although I did enjoy Eddie Murphy's performance in Dreamgirls but other than that
there was nothing I particularly enjoyed.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dr. Detroit

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
i thought Dreamgirls was incredibly boring

Maybe so but the DVD release has 12, count them, 12 extended musical numbers. If that doesn't make the movie more enjoyable then I don't know what will.

Kopite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Maybe so but the DVD release has 12, count them, 12 extended musical numbers. If that doesn't make the movie more enjoyable then I don't know what will.

I think if you didn't enjoy the movie to begin with, the special features will do nothing
for you.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
the DVD will have options to make it even longer??

damn.

I aged like a year and a half last time I sat through it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
the DVD will have options to make it even longer??

damn.

I aged like a year and a half last time I sat through it.

m@t the old fart - extra-aged edition?

biggrin.gif

I have not seen Dreamgirls yet; while I think that it is quite possible that Eddie is good in it, the myusic will probably grate on me after while. Not my thing - it would only be worse if it were all show tunes or country music (sorry musical/country lovers).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
m@t the old fart - extra-aged edition?

biggrin.gif

I have not seen Dreamgirls yet; while I think that it is quite possible that Eddie is good in it, the myusic will probably grate on me after while. Not my thing - it would only be worse if it were all show tunes or country music (sorry musical/country lovers).

I thought Eddie Murphy was surprisingly good.
It's not really my music either, although it generally was well done (Jamie Foxx can't sing). If you're going to end up seeing it on DVD or cable, it's probably even less likely that you'll get a kick out of the music. I saw it in a full theater, and particularly during the numbers featuring the woman from American Idol or whatever, who is a genuinely charismatic performer, the enthusiasm of the audience helped add something to the experience.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I thought Eddie Murphy was surprisingly good.
It's not really my music either, although it generally was well done (Jamie Foxx can't sing). If you're going to end up seeing it on DVD or cable, it's probably even less likely that you'll get a kick out of the music. I saw it in a full theater, and particularly during the numbers featuring the woman from American Idol or whatever, who is a genuinely charismatic performer, the enthusiasm of the audience helped add something to the experience.

You know, Jamie Foxx is an odd bird to me... I never really liked his singing style or voice even though I used to find the Jamie Foxx Show at least somewhat funny (but the supporting cast IIRC was often more entertaining).
Anyone have any input on "Ray"? Lawyerdad?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
You know, Jamie Foxx is an odd bird to me... I never really liked his singing style or voice even though I used to find the Jamie Foxx Show at least somewhat funny (but the supporting cast IIRC was often more entertaining).
Anyone have any input on "Ray"? Lawyerdad?

Never saw "Ray". FWIW, I was disappointed with his performance in "Dreamgirls" after hearing the raves about "Ray". He struck me as fairly wooden and one-dimensional, although it's tough to say how much of that was him and how much was the script, since his character -- he played the Barry Gordy figure -- was not particularly complex.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
DOA: Dead Or Alive Let me clarify. It does suck, but it is ALSO based on a fighting (and subsequent beach vollyball spinoff ) video game who's main claim to fame is the realistic breast motion physics engine.
smile.gif
This movie is like 94% hot blonde chicks in bikinis fighting. Plus Devon Aoki, who is a strange looking, wooden acting, daughter of Benihana's owner in a bikini. But she should make Mat happy, cause he's got pretty questionable standards when it comes to asian women.
devil.gif
The script is BS, the fighting is laughable at best, but that really isn't the point. As far as I'm concerned they wasted their time with the whole plot-development (about 3 minutes of wasted time in total) If you want to watch a mindless action movie about girls in bikinis fighting/playing volleyball/and joking about lesbian encounters then this movie is a rousing success. Otherwise, stay far away.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, Eric Roberts was in it. That should have been your first clue man
smile.gif
The weird thing about that movie is that three of the actresses have also appeared on Entourage. That said, I never even heard that they turned DOA: Dead or Alive into a movie. I am pleased by the fact that I didn't hear about this until now.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
DOA: Dead Or Alive
I sometime fear that I'll wake up mid afternoon and then Eric Roberts will be in my kitchen looking through the fridge while drinking juice out of the carton and I'll be like "Eric Robs...?!? Why are you, dude thats not even cool. Did you come in through the window? The sign on the front door says NO ERIC ROBERTS."

Regarding Ray, I recommend you watch it when you have a chance. I really enjoyed Foxx's portrayal of the late Mr. Charles. The only gripe is the seemingly supersonic hearing they outfitted Ray with in the movie but outside of that its one of the best bio-pics I've seen.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
DOA: Dead Or Alive Let me clarify. It does suck, but it is ALSO based on a fighting (and subsequent beach vollyball spinoff ) video game who's main claim to fame is the realistic breast motion physics engine.
smile.gif
This movie is like 94% hot blonde chicks in bikinis fighting. Plus Devon Aoki, who is a strange looking, wooden acting, daughter of Benihana's owner in a bikini. But she should make Mat happy, cause he's got pretty questionable standards when it comes to asian women.
devil.gif
The script is BS, the fighting is laughable at best, but that really isn't the point. As far as I'm concerned they wasted their time with the whole plot-development (about 3 minutes of wasted time in total) If you want to watch a mindless action movie about girls in bikinis fighting/playing volleyball/and joking about lesbian encounters then this movie is a rousing success. Otherwise, stay far away.

Sliiiim! For a moment I thought you meant the other Dead or Alive. At which point I'd have to call you a Philistine foreign devil and toss the old contents of the birds' cage trays at your face. But I read your post again
biggrin.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
I sometime fear that I'll wake up mid afternoon and then Eric Roberts will be in my kitchen looking through the fridge while drinking juice out of the carton and I'll be like "Eric Robs...?!? Why are you, dude thats not even cool. Did you come in through the window? The sign on the front door says NO ERIC ROBERTS."

He just wants to take your picture...

0015902ql8.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads