• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Shoes

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's so great about them? Is it just the styles they offer or are the particularily well constructed? Also kinda curious about Frye's as well.

Cali

Reaction score
Red wing construction is bulletproof. The quality is really top notch, as are the materials (leather). I don't love most of their styles but the 875/1905 is a great looking boot and I have received many complements on mine in a short period of time.

Also they have a great warranty that you will probably never have to use, one of those wonderful bring it in and get a new pair types. It is very rare these days to find a brand that still produces in the US with a focus on quality and backing up their product. If you like the style don't hesitate.

Oh and comfortable after break-in.

Eric Stoner

Reaction score
+1 to the above

love my Redwings
smile.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only bad thing about my RWs is that they last so long I get sick of them. They last forever!

I sold the last pair on ebay (and got about $80!) and just got a new pair.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a pair of 875s, but am wondering how much volume the toe box has. I have a pretty low volume foot, not narrow but more flat than anything. There are a lot of shoes and boots that just don't work for me...how do the RW 875s run?

Cali

Reaction score
They actually come in different widths to accomodate different feet. I find my D width to be perfect for my feet, which are normally pinched in the toebox. Also bear in mind that they are made to have insoles in them, which can change how they fit.

Just go to a red wing store if there is one nearby and they will use a machine to figure out your size/width.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of 1905 " Centennial" edition about a month ago and I really love them. It's very comfortable and style is classic. I wear it with my jeans and it works well as a 'weekend' pair.
77271777.jpg

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I keep forgetting that there is a RW store nearby...I'll have to check it out. I love the style on these. I use to have an old ass pair of boots my dad bought as a teenager. He used them for lots of Sierra backpacking trips. I don't even think they had a name on the, but they looked really similar (save for the sole) in style...I kick myself everytime I think that I got rid of them about 6 years ago. They just needed to be resoled...oh well...

Cali

Reaction score
Yeah, red wing has a resoling program too so if you maintain the uppers you can get fresh new crepe on the bottom.

BTW there are some solid bargains on these on ebay. The B-Stocks run about half of retail and are esentially perfect.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
I purchased a pair of 1905 " Centennial" edition about a month ago and I really love them. It's very comfortable and style is classic. I wear it with my jeans and it works well as a 'weekend' pair.

Nice man. I just got the exact same pair off of Cultizm.

Got them in the mail today, and they definitely fit a good half size larger than the standard 875s I tried on in the Red Wing store.

I'm hoping that a thick insole might make them work.

What are you using to care for yours? I've seen Obenaufs as a recommendation. Will regular shoe polish apply to these (leather is oiled)?

ino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
Yeah, red wing has a resoling program too so if you maintain the uppers you can get fresh new crepe on the bottom.

BTW there are some solid bargains on these on ebay. The B-Stocks run about half of retail and are esentially perfect.

jw... do you need to have the receipt to get it resoled?

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ino
jw... do you need to have the receipt to get it resoled?

You pay for it either way, so I really don't think it matters.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
Any chance these run true to size? If I take a stab on a pair on eBay should I expect them to run big or small? Any guidance would be appreciated. . .

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, only with pecos and RW cowboy boots, they run true to size.

ino

Reaction score
know your width... the length is true

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads