• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can You Recommend A Cologne For The "Sophisticated" Man

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been wearing Bond No. 9 Chez Bond the entire day. I applied it at 9 AM, and I can still smell it on me. That EDP has some serious longevity. I really love this scent.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have just started getting serious about cologne and while I am not going to buy 10 different kinds like some do, I feel 2 or 3 are fine. However I am not remotely as educated about colognes as some people on the board are and would appreciate any recommedations.
Old Spice
Axe Clix
Drakkar Noir

SWB

Reaction score
When I stumbled upon this thread last week, I wasn't at all in the market for a new cologne, but ended up ordering YSL Rive Gauche after reading Joel_Cairo's review. As an absolute amateur, I would like to further his recommendation; the "nonchalant well-groomedness" comment sums it up quite succinctly. This is the perfect covert scent; not at all weak, but just vague and unpretentious enough to blend nicely to any occasion. I really feel this could be worn anywhere, from class to dates to formal, as it is entirely unassuming yet unquestionably sophisticated. Clean, yet not remotely glossy or synthetic, and quite a bargain at $25/4.2oz.

Histrion

Reaction score
I am starting to run out of cologne so I'm looking for a new one. I'm in Canada so I can't try out Bond, I'd have to order it online without trying it on which doesn't seem like a good option. Is there any way I can get a sample of Bond or Creed online?

Thanks!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
I am starting to run out of cologne so I'm looking for a new one. I'm in Canada so I can't try out Bond, I'd have to order it online without trying it on which doesn't seem like a good option. Is there any way I can get a sample of Bond or Creed online?

Thanks!

If you call the Saks Fifth Avenue at South Coast Plaza, I think they will send you samples even if you are in Canada. Ask for the Bond No 9 Department.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
PM sent.

You saw my answer, right?
blush.gif

Dachink

Reaction score
What's a good place to order YSL M7 Fresh in the US?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you won't find it in the USA. It's not carried here. The best thing to do is watch ebay or order from a UK-based online vendor.

Or, if you fly to Europe ever, stock up at Duty Free. I always buy like 4 bottles when I pass through there.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Well after testing some of the ones mentioned and recommended - I have finally come up with a list of ones that I want to buy. Now certainly these ones are not going to be as sophisticated as the cologne's that Joel and Drizzt3117 wear - and in fact they may be very common and boring to many of you, but for a cologne newbie like me, I think it's a pretty good start. What do you guys think:

Armani: Code
Vera Wang For Men
Dolce and Gabanna: Pour Homme
Versace: The Dreamer
Aramis: Life
Baldeserrini
Burberry London
Dunhill (2003)

and yes - Cool Water.

I know that many of these will seem like the same - but I just love those tobacco cologne's. Looking forward to feedback.

MrEsquire

Reaction score
This is my first post. I just joined the forum after reading this thread.

I'm looking for a woodsy/spicy cologne. I'm not sure what to get. I'd like to have sophisticated smell that isn't overpowering like some of the citrus types and is sublte.

I was at Macys earlier smelling stuff but walked away confused over what to buy. Any thoughts.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrEsquire
This is my first post. I just joined the forum after reading this thread.

I'm looking for a woodsy/spicy cologne. I'm not sure what to get. I'd like to have sophisticated smell that isn't overpowering like some of the citrus types and is sublte.

I was at Macys earlier smelling stuff but walked away confused over what to buy. Any thoughts.

Pretty old thread you're bringing back to life. It really depends where you live and what stores are nearby in order to make recommendations. Per your description, Creed Bois Du Portugal fits the bill but good luck testing it unless you live near a Neimann Marcus.

Rainmaker0917

Reaction score
I'm a fan of burberry myself. I've been using Burberry Classic for the last few years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads