• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which movie are you dying to see?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
pasolini and truffaut are not mexican. i also liked "the hot chick" very much.
Ah... That explains quite a bit. You are of course, entitled to your sucky opinion, as usual.
smile.gif
Personally, I just think you were offended that Edward James Olmos didn't get to kill Harrison Ford at the end of the movie.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Ah... That explains quite a bit. You are of course, entitled to your sucky opinion, as usual.

smile.gif

Personally, I just think you were offended that Edward James Olmos didn't get to kill Harrison Ford at the end of the movie.

mr. olmos is a disgrace to the cinema. i hesitate to call him an actor.

do you like any movies that don't contain monsters, robots, or animation?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
mr. olmos is a disgrace to the cinema. i hesitate to call him an actor. do you like any movies that don't contain monsters, robots, or animation?
Some, but monsters, robots, and animation generally tend to make a movie better. And don't forget villainous Nazi's/fascists. They make any movie better. Just ask Guillermo del Toro.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And just in case you were wondering, these are the top rated dvds on my IMDB list, how many contain robots, monsters, or animation? (or nazis!)

\t Blade Runner (technically the robots are robots in name only, they are people actors without makeup or prosthetics and as non-robot like as you can get, no monsters, nor animation.)
\t Fight Club (none)
\t "Firefly" (robots... maybe and cgi)
\t "Kaubôi bibappu" (its animated with robots)
\t Batoru rowaiaru (none of the above)
\t Enter the Dragon (none of the above)
\t Groundhog Day (none of the above)
\t Léon (none of the above)
\t Lost in Translation (might be a robot, if you count the "claw game" in the arcade)
\t Mononoke-hime (animated with monsters)
\t Pulp Fiction (none of the above)
\t Raiders of the Lost Ark (claymation melting nazis)
\t RoboCop (robot)
\t Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (animated with monsters)
Shichinin no samurai (none of the above)
\t True Romance (none of the above)
\t Videodrome (none of the above)

Its probably exactly what you expected.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some, but monsters, robots, and animation generally tend to make a movie better.

And don't forget villainous Nazi's/fascists. They make any movie better. Just ask Guillermo del Toro.

villainous fascists are a a given. i can relate to villainous fascists. ewoks and wookies, not so much.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And just in case you were wondering, these are the top rated dvds on my IMDB list.\t

\t Blade Runner
\t Fight Club
\t "Firefly"
\t "Kaubôi bibappu"
\t Batoru rowaiaru
\t Enter the Dragon
\t Groundhog Day
\t LÃ
00a9.png
on
\t Lost in Translation
\t Mononoke-hime
\t Pulp Fiction
\t Raiders of the Lost Ark
\t RoboCop
\t Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi
Shichinin no samurai
\t True Romance
\t Videodrome

Its probably exactly what you expected.

pretty much, but 'groundhog day'? i know a lot of people love this one but i don't see the appeal. andie mcdowell?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
villainous fascists are a a given. i can relate to villainous fascists. ewoks and wookies, not so much.

I don't really enjoy ewoks and wookies either. Actually I am pretty anti-ewok.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
pretty much, but 'groundhog day'? i know a lot of people love this one but i don't see the appeal. andie mcdowell?
Its a very spiritual movie. I tend to like movies that allegorically or metaphorically allow one to explore several layers at once while remaining accessable to everyone. Groundhog Day may be one of the most multifaceted and uniquely written movies I've ever seen, and Andie McDowell has very little to do with it. Blade Runner and Groundhog Day are both really movies about God, when you get right down to it. Just coming at it from different perspectives.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refuse to get in to a discussion about BR's merits. Suffice to say that is it a film not a movie (to quote a friend of mine). The themes and layering run very VERY deep. And Mr Olmos hardly does anything other than act as a chorus would, merely nudging things in a direction.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I refuse to get in to a discussion about BR's merits. Suffice to say that is it a film not a movie (to quote a friend of mine). The themes and layering run very VERY deep. And Mr Olmos hardly does anything other than act as a chorus would, merely nudging things in a direction.

It's based on PKD; 'nuff said.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

koji

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
The Wind That Shakes the Barley

That is, if we can ever get a sitter ...
mad.gif

I don't know if you get it, but this movie is actually available for me On Demand. I have Comcast. They are running it simultaneously with the theatrical release. I haven't watched it yet; it's supposed to be excellent, but depressing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads