• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

bob

Reaction score
I'm with drizzit. You should talk to a tailor about taking up the sleeves some. In any case, thats a nice jacket. Well done.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Got my new fabric samples today that I'll be offering when the website is revamped (probably beg/mid may) and there are some awesome new wools!!

The first one I saw is a wool herringbone in black/gold (making it appear darkish brown in tone) that has a very subtle and faint orange and lt blue widely spaced overcheck....it looks really really cool!!!! My eyes popped out when I saw this swatch.

I'm pretty stoked on the offerings....there'll be tweeds, flannels, a whole bunch of new 9-10oz wools including some cool textured blacks, a nifty steel grey with subtle windowpane check in blue/gold....etc

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jason, I know you had mentioned before that you don't like navy, but is there any chance that you will eventually offer it as a fabric? Because that's what I need and its absence is the only thing really holding me back from ordering.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It's not that I don't like navy, just havent been able to get one that I like. But among the fabric samples I got today, there is a cool navy in there. It isnt a flat navy, it has some texture to it from the weave, almost reminds me of the way you can kind of see the weft fibers in denim....it has a similar effect but not as pronounced as denim has. It's a great color, very hard to capture its subtleties thru pics or a scan. I'm gonna offer it, but a part of its "charm" will be picking it with some amount of blind faith
marchal.gif

phaedrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Got my new fabric samples today that I'll be offering when the website is revamped (probably beg/mid may) and there are some awesome new wools!! The first one I saw is a wool herringbone in black/gold (making it appear darkish brown in tone) that has a very subtle and faint orange and lt blue widely spaced overcheck....it looks really really cool!!!! My eyes popped out when I saw this swatch. I'm pretty stoked on the offerings....there'll be tweeds, flannels, a whole bunch of new 9-10oz wools including some cool textured blacks, a nifty steel grey with subtle windowpane check in blue/gold....etc
Good stuff looking forward to the tweeds and herringbone, what's the price now for SF'ers with the free shipping deal over? An update on my trousers too, got them fixed and they fit perfect now, I can actually sit down in them.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Phaed, suit price is same...$400 Only difference is the added shipping which is $15 in US/Canada and $25 overseas

jackassery

Reaction score
So perhaps I missed it but is the two button ready to be ordered? I've got interviews coming up really quickly and one in a charcoal would be great to have in time.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3.gif

Alright I just picked up my Olive/Brown suit from the Post Office. All in all, I am very happy with the purchase. The suit needs no alterations, which saves me at least $100.

My impressions on the suit.... The quality of the Super 120 isn't quite as fine as I would have expected, though the quality is still pretty good. Construction is excellent. Fit is excellent as well.

I did tell GS to make a little more room in the pants for practical purposes after it seemed they were too tite on some people. The pants are *very* comfortable, my only quip is that the seat is a little blousy and you can't tell I have a bum. Hopefully, this can be altered.

What do you guys think of the green lining? At first, I thought it was a little too similar in color to the olive, but it has grown on me. I think yellow might have been the best color.

I don't know if you can tell from the pics, but the pant pockets take a bit of getting used to, they are straight across horizontally, not vertical, so putting your hands in your pocket is a bit awkward.

All in all, this suit is a steal for $400.

See for yourself:

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting such a thorough review, tiecollector! I'm very intrigued by the olive-brown fabric. What kind of vibe were you going for and do you think it achieves that?
Originally Posted by tiecollector

How do you feel about that "break" in the fabric over your chest? Pretty much all OTR jackets fit me like that, so I've just come to accept it, but I'm curious if you have any thoughts?

Are the pants sitting above your hips, does the extra fabric make the rise look longer, or am I just imaging things?

It would be nice if, you know, just once, one of you guys steams the suit before taking pics.
tounge.gif
How's the armhole alignment?

Aries

Reaction score
tieCollector, that is definitely a great looking suit. Thanks for posting.

Get Smart, my compliments. After looking at tiecollectors pictures I looked at the TaT gallery and I am amazed by your craftsmanship and the value that you are providing. Let's just say the wheels in my head have begun to turn and one of these days, I will definitely be partaking in the Steez that is Tat.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Thank you for posting such a thorough review, tiecollector! I'm very intrigued by the olive-brown fabric. What kind of vibe were you going for and do you think it achieves that?
Kind of a hip, retro, 60s look ala Dragnet. I think it achieves the look I want. I almost got one of the grays, but the olive brown is a little more distinctive I think.
Originally Posted by Jared
How do you feel about that "break" in the fabric over your chest? Pretty much all OTR jackets fit me like that, so I've just come to accept it, but I'm curious if you have any thoughts?
I guess there is a little bit of a break across the chest, though not much. I have fairly large pecs and when I finally got around to having my custom suit re-altered, the tailor told me in broken english that I have "chest like lady."
Are the pants sitting above your hips, does the extra fabric make the rise look longer, or am I just imaging things?
I think it does increase the rise a bit. The pants are just below or at my navel.
It would be nice if, you know, just once, one of you guys steams the suit before taking pics.
tounge.gif
How's the armhole alignment?
baby steps... baby steps... I didn't check out the armholes actually, I was too fixated on the baggy seat. I think the armhole alignment is higher than OTR and, if it hadn't been good, I definitely would have noticed.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Very nice. Has anyone told you that you look like Rainn Wilson though? Just curious.
Never heard that before, had to look him up. There is a little bit of similarity but the #1 celeb look alike I get is Brent Stiner as Data from Star Trek the Next Generation.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Holy ****, tiecollector, you look scarily like me in those pictures. Weird.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads