• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ryanair to introduce $30 London/NYC service

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also seen stuff about Ryanair flying to "secondary" destinations, the nearest to me being Baltimore. I don't really think anyone knows how the OS agreement will affect the respective airlines, the only problem may be with too much traffic at the airport resulting in passenger overloads and delays.

JB

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peace of mind, safety, comfort, and customer service are all factors that keep me far, far away from Ryanair.

vc2000

Reaction score
I've heard company employees joke that they want to charge 0 for flights but make it up on everything else. Fees for luggage, booking, basically everything the North American flyer expects for free is going to be billed to the customer. Isn't checking a bag some large fee? I've never flown them but I thought it was either 70 dollars or 70 pounds for a bag. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vc2000
I've heard company employees joke that they want to charge 0 for flights but make it up on everything else. Fees for luggage, booking, basically everything the North American flyer expects for free is going to be billed to the customer. Isn't checking a bag some large fee? I've never flown them but I thought it was either 70 dollars or 70 pounds for a bag. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Each checked bag costs 6 Euros and you pay 9 euros for every kg over the 15 kg allowance. (BA's allowance starts at 23 kg).

seanchai

Reaction score
NOOOOOO
NOOOOOO

I'll probably fly it one day, and then repeatedly, but I WON'T LIKE IT!

Which is exactly what O'Leary wants - dissatisfied customers with no reasonable alternatives.

Trilby

Reaction score
Hard to imagine them offering many tickets at this price. Some of the key aspects of the low cost model don't work as well on long haul routes - e.g., having very short turnaround times to keep the planes productive in the air as much as possible. They also don't get the benefit of very high business/first fares providing a steady revenue flow.

That said, I wonder how low transatlantic fares could go and still run a profitable business. I'm guessing they still make a small profit when fares are really low over the winter, so the breakeven point is probably a little lower than that.

Also important to remember that taxes make up a hefty chunk of the current fares. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I expect a base fare of $30 NYC/LON prices out close to $200 after all the taxes are added.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
At what point over the Atlantic do they push you out and you have to swim the rest of the way?

LMAO.
laugh.gif

Jon.

jett

Reaction score
Uh - $30 from NYC to London?!?! That's cheaper than the shuttle service to the airport. That's an unbelievable price.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At what point over the Atlantic do they push you out and you have to swim the rest of the way?
For 30 bucks they might as well fly you to the western coast of England, drop you off, and pick you up when you reach America.

JB

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
NOOOOOO NOOOOOO I'll probably fly it one day, and then repeatedly, but I WON'T LIKE IT! Which is exactly what O'Leary wants - dissatisfied customers with no reasonable alternatives.
I agree, but you have to admit that this Steerage Airlines is working well for him...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Seems they have some continental EU flights for just one pence if you book by tonite. Something fishy...

Not really. They do this all the time. But the free tickets are only on the least desirable flights. Typically they leave Stansted at something like 5 or 6 in the morning. The catch is that it's not possible to come from London via public transportation that early in the morning. You have to either spend the night sleeping in the airport, at a hotel nearby, or live closer than London.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Not really. They do this all the time. But the free tickets are only on the least desirable flights. Typically they leave Stansted at something like 5 or 6 in the morning. The catch is that it's not possible to come from London via public transportation that early in the morning. You have to either spend the night sleeping in the airport, at a hotel nearby, or live closer than London.

If public transportation is not available, Ryanair usually provides their own buses, which is probably how they make money off these flights.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads