• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaner marked the tag on my high end shirts..should I complain?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless they are doing very, very small laundry batches, there is no other practical way to keep track of your shirts other than marking and tagging.

If you think there is a better way, I would like to hear it.

Remember, a cleaner's worst nightmare is someone saying "you are missing one of my ***** shirts, pay me $400". They want to avoid that situation no matter what.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
unless they are doing very, very small laundry batches, there is no other practical way to keep track of your shirts other than marking and tagging.

Remember, a cleaner's worst nightmare is someone saying "you are missing one of my ***** shirts, pay me $400". They want to avoid that situation no matter what.

My cleaner uses the paper tags that it puts through the buttonhole. That seems like a pretty good way to mark the shirts without causing any permanent marking or damage to the shirt. I bring about 40 shirts at a time and they've yet to lose one.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had cleaners who use safety pins... and cleaners who staple.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by olemungu
Tone it down. Plus you never mentioned the whole story either. Someone needs a chill pill here. At least it was marked in the tags not on the bottom of the plaket. Also better to have it then lose a shirt if the tag rips off.
I'm toned down... The tag thing was not a big deal. I just don't like odoreater's nose in the air reply to my dad's gift idea. A LOT of people clean clothes before wearing them. And the fact was, my options are now limited with what I could do w/my shirts. So he should ask before making a snide comment. "So did you wear the shirt? I wouldn't give a shirt to my dad that's worn" that would suffice. "I got an idea, when you buy your dad a shirt, why not give it to him before you take it out for a test ride?" The way he worded it was unnecessary.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

Some other posters and I have had cleaners who used safety pints that didn't have to pierce the material and the kept track of things nicely.

I moved, so the previous place I went to for cleaning is more than 15 miles away now. This new place is the closest, but I think I'll find another one.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is the only good reason I can think of to have shirts monogrammed.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
I'm toned down...

The tag thing was not a big deal. I just don't like odoreater's nose in the air reply to my dad's gift idea.

A LOT of people clean clothes before wearing them. And the fact was, my options are now limited with what I could do w/my shirts.

So he should ask before making a snide comment.

"So did you wear the shirt? I wouldn't give a shirt to my dad that's worn"

that would suffice.

"I got an idea, when you buy your dad a shirt, why not give it to him before you take it out for a test ride?"

The way he worded it was unnecessary.

That's how I roll - get used to it.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
That's how I roll - get used to it.

That's fine, as long as you can get used to my replies and not take them personally either.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
That's fine, as long as you can get used to my replies and not take them personally either.

odoreater the internet persona is deeply insulted. The guy sitting behind the computer typing these replies takes nothing personally.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
odoreater the internet persona is deeply insulted. The guy sitting behind the computer typing these replies takes nothing personally.

excellent. we are in agreement on the clothespin idea though. My old place used clothes pins through the button as well. Just makes me wonder why closer place hasn't gone that route.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
hand wash. clean. simple. cold water. flat dry. warm iron.

simple as that folks. simple as that.

yeah, except when you work 70 hours a week, you don't really want to have to spend your weekend washing/ironing clothes. I'd rather have the cleaners ruin a shirt here and there than have to do wash my own shirts.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must confess that I was feeling a little sick today. General fatigue, coughing...I think I might have come down with something this weekend. I would like to report that this thread and its almost certain unintentional humour made me laugh so often that I'm now feeling much better. SF never fails to entertain me.

Oh, and odoreater, dude, we may scuffle from time to time but your replies were the best in this one.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
I must confess that I was feeling a little sick today. General fatigue, coughing...I think I might have come down with something this weekend. I would like to report that this thread and its almost certain unintentional humour made me laugh so often that I'm now feeling much better. SF never fails to entertain me.

Oh, and odoreater, dude, we may scuffle from time to time but your replies were the best in this one.

Didn't know we were graded on originality of post and entertainment value. I'll try to spice my posts up to be more entertaining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads