• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Concerts

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably the best show I've ever been to was, hilariously, Digital Underground. Around 150 people crammed into a tiny venue in NY. The band had cases of cold beer on the short stage and were passing them out to everyone in the audience. Just unbelievably fun.

Bjork at Radio City was pretty cool. As was Elliott Smith at Other Music.

The poorly named "Smokin Grooves Tour" in 1996: The Fugees, a young Busta Rhymes, A Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill, and Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those mid-90s festival tours had ridiculous lineups. I went to Lolla '95, which at the time I remembered for getting me sunburnt and moshed, but at which I managed to see at least bits of sets Helium, Superchunk, an unheralded Moby, a TOTALLY unknown Redman, Pavement, Jesus Lizard, Sonic Youth, pre-Odelay Beck, Cypress Hill, Bosstones, Elastica, etc. Really long, good day. I think I wore docs, cutoff dickies, a bouncing souls tshirt, and a number of chains.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Yeah, those mid-90s festival tours had ridiculous lineups. I went to Lolla '95, which at the time I remembered for getting me sunburnt and moshed, but at which I managed to see at least bits of sets Helium, Superchunk, an unheralded Moby, a TOTALLY unknown Redman, Pavement, Jesus Lizard, Sonic Youth, pre-Odelay Beck, Cypress Hill, Bosstones, Elastica, etc. Really long, good day. I think I wore docs, cutoff dickies, a bouncing souls tshirt, and a number of chains.

I remember at that time thinking that Lolla seemed so lame. Now I really wished I woulda gone...Superchunk, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Jesus Lizard, Beck....amazing line-up!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paul Van Dyk in Buenos Aires June 06'

Ultra Music Fest 2007, day 2 (Saturday), specifically: Ferry Corsten...until it stared to rain like no tomorrow and we all ran for shelter

And I say this in all seriousness and without being purposely flattering:

Koji playing Selections from Quatre Morceaux by Catoire, January 07'

Jon.

jesse10

Reaction score
Kanye west, Common, and John Legend in downtown miami...

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Iggy Pop

Saw the old man last week - he put on a damn fine show. Not one of the best I've seen, but a hell of a lot of fun. If the guy's lost more than half a step, I couldn't tell. I knew it was a different band that recorded Raw Power, but I didn't realize that would mean no songs from that one.
frown.gif

Anyway, that's my only complaint, and I'm glad I went. The way I see it, if you've enjoyed any loud, nasty, dangerous rock n' roll made in the last 35 years, you owe Iggy $40.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
best concert ever: the now defunct San Francisco-based trio, A Minor Forest at the Jabberjaw here in LA back in '96 i believe it was.

-Jeff

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you been to a show where one of the warm-up acts gave the main attraction a real run? The Tragically Hip headlined a festival line-up at the Markham Fairgrounds in the mid-90s where Midnight Oil played right before them and just tore it up.

The Hip are no slouch themselves, but their fans can be really surly and downright dangerous when liquored up ...
wow.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Best rock concerts I've been to:

Rush (Primus opened up for them)
Mr. Bungle.

koji

Mr. Bungle was something else.

I used to see Primus when they were playing parties at the student co-ops in Berkeley. It was kind of shocking to realize a few years later that they'd made it (relatively) big and were on MTV, etc.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
A few that stand out, just off the top of my head:

The Dead (always hit or miss, of course)
The Who (before they started the retire/comeback/retire/comeback silliness)
Black Flag
The Clash
Roy Rogers
Mojo Nixon
Sister Double Happiness
Neil Young in a little club playing as "Shaky Neil and the Bluenotes"
Camper Van Beethoven
The Pogues
Rory Block
Ella Fitzgerald (well past her prime, but still . . .)

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Have you been to a show where one of the warm-up acts gave the main attraction a real run? The Tragically Hip headlined a festival line-up at the Markham Fairgrounds in the mid-90s where Midnight Oil played right before them and just tore it up.

The Hip are no slouch themselves, but their fans can be really surly and downright dangerous when liquored up ...
wow.gif

The Clash opening for The Who
In retrospect, whoever opened up for Rush any of the three or four times I saw them as an adolescent.

And I'm just now recalling that I saw John Lee Hooker open for Van Morrison, which was a pretty sweet double-bill.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Have you been to a show where one of the warm-up acts gave the main attraction a real run? The Tragically Hip headlined a festival line-up at the Markham Fairgrounds in the mid-90s where Midnight Oil played right before them and just tore it up. The Hip are no slouch themselves, but their fans can be really surly and downright dangerous when liquored up ...
wow.gif

I have had a few like that, actually. Most recent was Combichrist opening for KMFDM. CC were such an impressively well oiled and intense project that the now past their prime song recycling KMFDM never stood a chance. And many years ago, Life of Agony & Machinehead completely overshadowed Megadeth (which I never liked but still). I am sure there were others... Neurosis opening for Soulfly was rather impressive. They went in to the noise & ambient realm for a good 10 minutes which was pretty much mesmerising. On a sidenote I am still hoping to see Front 242 & Bad Religion at some point. Have wanted to for years but they never come near this area unfortunately...

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I have had a few like that, actually.
Most recent was Combichrist opening for KMFDM. CC were such an impressively well oiled and intense project that the now past their prime song recycling KMFDM never stood a chance.

And many years ago, Life of Agony & Machinehead completely overshadowed Megadeth (which I never liked but still).

I am sure there were others... Neurosis opening for Soulfly was rather impressive. They went in to the noise & ambient realm for a good 10 minutes which was pretty much mesmerising.

On a sidenote I am still hoping to see Front 242 & Bad Religion at some point. Have wanted to for years but they never come near this area unfortunately...

Damn it, I hate it when people post about music and I've never heard of half the bands - reminds me I'm getting old.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Damn it, I hate it when people post about music and I've never heard of half the bands - reminds me I'm getting old.

You know, other than Combichrist, I think they are all in their 30's or 40's now actually.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
You know, other than Combichrist, I think they are all in their 30's or 40's now actually.

Gee thanks, that make me feel so much better.
plain.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads