• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt tailoring and sizing question

cpadude

Reaction score
I have what probably seems like a basic question about getting shirts altered. I have about 7 Brooks Brothers Slim Fit shirts which I thought were slim enough with the right sleeve length.

Now on further reflection (and with a more refined eye thanks to styleforum), I realize that the shirt sleeves are too long and that the back of the shirt is too blousy. Is it possible for a tailor to take the shirt in and shorten the sleeves?

This seems like an easy process, so what is a decent price in a major city (Chicago to be specific if you have recommendations)?

As a rule of thumb, how big are the waists and chests of your shirts relative to your actual chest and waist size, respectively.

Thanks Much.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are an average size between 15 and 17 neck, then:

Chest 6"-7" additional fabric
Waist 5"-6"
Hips 6"-7"

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Seems as good a place as any - what exactly do the two numbers that most dress shirts are given MEAN? Like 15.5/35, or whatever. I always buy shirts in S/M/L or have them made - so I don't know what the numbers mean, and that sort of shirt is usually wrapped or online, so I can't try it on!

Help me, O master of shirts...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two numbers refer to neck size and sleeve length as measures from the top of the center back behind the neck.

Generally an S has a neck of 15, a M, 16; a L, 17. Sleeve length might be 33 for S, 34 for M, 35 for L. Chest of an American-cut M shirt will be about 50 inches. These sizes are approximate, esp in chest and sleeve, and vary by maker of course.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Italian shirts usually list the neck size and the chest size.

i've never seen a dress shirt that listed the chest size. my guess is that you are mistaking the neck size in centimeters (42, 43, etc...) for a chest size.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpadude
Now on further reflection (and with a more refined eye thanks to styleforum), I realize that the shirt sleeves are too long and that the back of the shirt is too blousy. Is it possible for a tailor to take the shirt in and shorten the sleeves?

i would bet that, rather than shortening the sleeves, you likely need to have the cuffs made tighter.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i've never seen a dress shirt that listed the chest size. my guess is that you are mistaking the neck size in centimeters (42, 43, etc...) for a chest size.
Good lord, you're absolutely right. I'd never thought about it before, but this is the only thing that remotely makes sense. Funny the things one assumes. And I can't tell you how long I've labored under this impression! A good laugh at myself today!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads