• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
Yeah, it won't be much longer now. Especially if I keep writing short and pointless comments like this one...

Like what?

devil.gif

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Like what?

devil.gif

Like this, my 99th comment. Somehow my next comment will magically make me worthy. I hate arbitrary numbers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like this, my 99th comment. Somehow my next comment will magically make me worthy. I hate arbitrary numbers.

Answer this and you will be worthy:

"What is your favorite color?"

biggrin.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Watch out! It's a trap - don't fall for it!

jett

Reaction score
Answer this and you will be worthy: "What is your favorite color?"
biggrin.gif

Black. I had to be talked out of buying a black suit as my first in the very first thread I created here. Soon I will be ordering a 3-button suit from Thick as Thieves, in charcoal. Hopefully my second suit will be in black though. I know there's a lot of hate here for a black suit but I think I can pull it off. and now I am worthy. A suggestion - what if you could read-only instead of not post until you are deemed worthy?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't ever want to jump the sartorial shark. I know I started off as nothing but a bottom feeding guppy, but I'm slowly working my way towards excellence. When I reach the highest level of sartorial skill possible, I want the mods to ban me and retire my username.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and now I am worthy

Congratulations!! Next step is to go to this thread and tell us what you think of campus police using taser guns... and go!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black. I had to be talked out of buying a black suit as my first in the very first thread I created here. Soon I will be ordering a 3-button suit from Thick as Thieves, in charcoal. Hopefully my second suit will be in black though. I know there's a lot of hate here for a black suit but I think I can pull it off.

and now I am worthy.

A suggestion - what if you could read-only instead of not post until you are deemed worthy?

lancequeke5.jpg

smile.gif

The read only idea will not really solve the whole spiders indexing controversial posts out of context problem that J is wary of, however...

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Congratulations!! Next step is to go to this thread and tell us what you think of campus police using taser guns... and go!

I almost did it but I just couldn't click the submit button. I got into a nasty discussion about that when it originally happened and have no desire to relive any of that.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are now at 101! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! http://www.olgabaclanova.com/picture...gobble_med.jpg Edit: Back on topic at hand, J, what do they do on other sites when it comes to issues like this? Do they just use post count minimums or some other method?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are now at 101!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

http://www.olgabaclanova.com/picture...gobble_med.jpg

Edit:

Back on topic at hand, J, what do they do on other sites when it comes to issues like this? Do they just use post count minimums or some other method?

Post count is always a sketchy tool to use to enforce a site standard. I don't see it being such a bad thing in this case, but for things like posting links, using signatures, etc, it will often just encourage new users to post junk one-line posts in order to reach the needed mark.

If a forum is quite controversial or troll-attracting, one good way to limit posting access is to charge a minor fee, say $2, to gain permanent access to it. Most people won't spend good money to be a jerk, plus you get their real ID when you charge a payment.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Post count is always a sketchy tool to use to enforce a site standard. I don't see it being such a bad thing in this case, but for things like posting links, using signatures, etc, it will often just encourage new users to post junk one-line posts in order to reach the needed mark.

If a forum is quite controversial or troll-attracting, one good way to limit posting access is to charge a minor fee, say $2, to gain permanent access to it. Most people won't spend good money to be a jerk, plus you get their real ID when you charge a payment.

The fee thing is an interesting idea but I don't know how that would work in reality. Food for thought though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads