• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diagnose this suit fit issue...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I purchased this Chester Barrie suit from a forum member, and after a bit of alteration, it appeared to fit well. All of the measurements seem fine, but there are some wrinkles in the arms in this picture. The other wrinkles on the suit were from lack of pressing and quickly steamed out, but no noticable wrinkles are on the jacket sleeves when unworn. Any idea what is causing this?

27hl9.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you talking about the wrinkles near the arm hole? It's hard to tell if there's a problem. Sleeves on good suits tend to look wrinkly sometimes. Without seeing it in person it's hard to tell.

However, assuming your arms are hanging naturally in the photo and the wrinkling is not of the normal variety, there could be one of two problems (or both): (1) the upper sleeve is too tight, or (2) the curvature of the sleeve doesn't match your arm's.

In the case of the former, you might try letting out the sleeves some at the seams. If it's the latter, the sleeves can be rotated a few degrees at the arm hole.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does it have working buttons on the cuff? If so, could the sleeves have at some point been shortened at the sleevhead by someone with less-than-impeccable credentials?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'll bring it by my alterations tailor again and have her check it out, it could be a lining issue as the sleeves were just lengthened. Annoying because the suit otherwise fits perfectly.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
does it have working buttons on the cuff? If so, could the sleeves have at some point been shortened at the sleevhead by someone with less-than-impeccable credentials?
That's what it looks like to me... The sleeve wasn't properly reformed for the shoulder, and it's pulling up the fabric as a result.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, I think I'll bring it by my alterations tailor again and have her check it out, it could be a lining issue as the sleeves were just lengthened. Annoying because the suit otherwise fits perfectly.

good call. I agree the fit is otherwise spot on, one of the best I've seen on your hard-to-fit 11-drop frame.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe you should stuff the sleeves with newsprint when you're not wearing the suit. I hear that helps.
devil.gif

jsk40oz

Reaction score
if it where the lining it would be wrinkled at the bottom of the sleeve. i think you may have an arm hole problem.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post a side and back shot. Could be the sleeve pitch.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My question is does the wrinkle exist when its on a hanger? Or when you move your arms back? If its MTM they may have moved the armhole position to compinsate for the arms forward or backward. I'm seeing a lot of tightness in your underarms. Makes me think this could be the case. Or the arm holes needs to be expanded...

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the wrinkles, that's a really good fit, probably the best thing Ive seen you post on these forums. You should wear a suit/wool trousers more often, man, it beats the jeans+sportscoat by a mile.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You seem to be doing a sort of action figure pose with your arms but it's hard to tell... Are you standing naturally? If you rotate your arms back a bit, does it correct it?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J hit it on the head. Your arms are canted forward, not hanging at your sides. If this is your natural stance, your tailor needs to rotate the sleeves forward ... quite a bit if the photo is a true indication.

This can be caused by any number of reasons. Large pecs is the usual cause in physically fit men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads