• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Note on Manton's Plan to Destroy SF

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spudbunny
For Strauss, these were actually transcripts of lectures, circulated as above. . .
The transcrpts of Strauss's lectures on the Symposium were collected and published, kind of like an official live-in-concert album. Strauss made much of Socrates's primping and dressing up for the event, making the subject ripe for its own thread - what would you wear to lecture a bunch of drunken or hungover pedarests on eros?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I did (as I'm sure medwards knows), but I didn't want to interrupt the tongue-in-cheek stream of consciousness.

I worked for Dr. Kirk for a year, and he actually was quite interesting, but not always terribly talkative. How did you have occasion to eat with him?

It was when I was active in the Bruin Young Republicans when I was a grad student at UCLA. The president of the club, Bill Longstreth, who was a good deal older than most of the students, was friendly with Kirk, and I was one of Longstreth's prize members, since I had been to Oxford. Anyway, Kirk was in town, and so we had lunch with him. Based on his writings, I though he would be a superb and captivating raconteur and conversationalist, delivering all sorts of edifying discourses. This did not prove to be the case. I think some people are much better conversationalists than writers and vice-versa. He fell into the latter category...or at least such was my impression.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
In the summer of 2003, when D.C. Strauss fever was raging, I pitched a column idea to David Brooks: "The Most Powerful Person in the World Is a Nobody You've Never Heard Of."

The train of logic went like this:

1) Thanks to James Atlas and the New York Times, we now know that Strauss rules the world from his grave.

2) But to do that he needs living instruments.

3) Those living instruments are Strauss students, and students of students, scattered throughout the world's most powerful government -- that of the United States.

4) The White House is the most important power center in that government.

5) Mike Anton is the only Straussian in the White House.

6) Ergo, Mike Anton is the most poweful person in the world.

He didn't write it.
confused.gif

Hahahahahahahaha. Ego, much? Thanks to you, I guess the age of the Borgias is here again....

Jon.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spudbunny
For Strauss, these were actually transcripts of lectures, circulated as above.

I've listened to the tapes; they do circulate.

Oh, wait. Did I just blow my cover?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
It was when I was active in the Bruin Young Republicans when I was a grad student at UCLA. The president of the club, Bill Longstreth, who was a good deal older than most of the students, was friendly with Kirk, and I was one of Longstreth's prize members, since I had been to Oxford. Anyway, Kirk was in town, and so we had lunch with him. Based on his writings, I though he would be a superb and captivating raconteur and conversationalist, delivering all sorts of edifying discourses. This did not prove to be the case. I think some people are much better conversationalists than writers and vice-versa. He fell into the latter category...or at least such was my impression.

Very interesting. He really was a captivating raconteur and conversationalist when he got to know you and he was in the mood. Dr. Kirk was fairly shy, I think, although he led a very public life with his speaking engagements and such.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Strauss made much of Socrates's primping and dressing up for the event

He pined for Alcibiades to show up.
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
He pined for Alcibiades to show up.
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

And yet desn't Al complain that he could never get Socrates interested--in that way?

I guess Socrates wasn't into FHNW.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
And yet desn't Al complain that he could never get Socrates interested--in that way?
Well, people are listening. There are other indications of S's, um, earthiness. Alcibiades I ...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Does Karl Rove post on SF?
devil.gif

Jon.

Karl Rove is not a Straussian.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

An anecdote which lends further support to Manton's tapping of JLibourel as the Zelig of SF.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
All this Latin and Strauss b.s.

What we really should be doing is critiquing Newt Gingrich's wardrobe.
smile.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

I guess Socrates wasn't into FHNW.

Yes. I thought Alcibiades tried quite hard to get in Soc's toga. An "improper advance" as Mr. Strauss put it, leaving me to wonder what a "proper" advance would have looked like.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Yes. I thought Alcibiades tried quite hard to get in Soc's toga. An "improper advance" as Mr. Strauss put it, leaving me to wonder what a "proper" advance would have looked like.

Er, Dopey, Greeks didn't wear togas. That's a Roman garment. His Kiton maybe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads