• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can You Recommend A Cologne For The "Sophisticated" Man

etl

Reaction score
Hey Man,

You've already received some very good advice here re different scents.

Re your concerns about Green Irish Tweed: It's quite expensive and relatively difficult to come by (in relation to Armani, Hugo Boss, Gucci etc.) so there's little worry of running into your cologne on the street unless you're in very good company. At which point, you can't blame the other person for having equally great taste.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Joel,

I live in Canada actually and I believe I did see M7 at a local cologne/fragrance store. I will have to confirm that. If it's not, what would be similar to it and common enough that you can find it anywhere?

Hey Man

Reaction score
drizzt3117,

$200-250 is a little much for me at this point when just starting out. I would have to be able to try it, so I wouldn't order online - unless I know that I love it. You mentioned the Bond No. 9: Central Park as being almost the same as GIT. What would be the price tag on that? Is there a cologne that is also almost the same as Creed's MI too? By the way, if you read the reviews for GIT at Basenotes, many say that it's very similar to Cool Water. What's your thoughts on that?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
FWIW, you can get GIT (and others) for considerably less than retail on ebay. I'm not much of a fragrance guy, so I don't know whether there are significant counterfeiting concerns. As always on ebay, caveat emptor. E.g.:

GIT (regular and sample sizes):
http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-IRISH-TWEE...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-IRISH-TWEE...QQcmdZViewItem
millesime (regular and sample)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Creed-Green-Iris...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creed-GREEN-IRIS...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, if you're tempted to try a sample size, be sure to check the shipping charges to avoid getting screwed. The shipping charges on the sample GIT, for example, are about 400% of the item price.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tabac Blond by Caron
Knize Ten

Knize also used to have other scents but they don't seem to be available.

Also Robert Piguet's Bandit, Fracas, etc. also work for the "sophisticated man", if not moreso since they are complex scents ostensibly marketed towards women.

Chanel has Cuir de Russie, a re-released business.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
FWIW, you can get GIT (and others) for considerably less than retail on ebay. I'm not much of a fragrance guy, so I don't know whether there are significant counterfeiting concerns. As always on ebay, caveat emptor. E.g.:

There has been a tidal-wave of counterfeited GIT on ebay recently. Its to the point where many Basenoters are complaining that they can't sell their legit GIT bottles anymore because nobody will bid. Creed is the counterfeiters dream-come-true, because the retail is so high and all the bottles for all their scents are exactly the same, just different colors. All you need are some cheaply produced replicas and some spraypaint and you're in business. I'd be very careful buying Creed off ebay. If you wanna go online, try scentiments.com (I've bought half a dozen Creeds from them; they've all been legit grey market bottles diverted from the european or middle eastern markets)

Hey Guy: Bond no. 9 is, unfortunatly, in the same price class as Creeds. The best idea, IMO, is to go over to Basenotes' Buying & Selling board and ordering some samples or decants from a member there. You'll get a great price and they will be able to navigate canadian customs maze better than any e-tailer.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
Aqua di Parma.
A scent for men.
devil.gif

I've always thought this would make me smell like a ham.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
I don't want anything that smells like motor oil, really fruity or really musky, but just something that is masculine, compliments a nice suit and will impress when going to a job interview, business meeting or on a date. But still works with jeans and a t-shirt. As I already have the clean and fresh smelling cologne - I am looking for something that is the opposite of say Acqua Di Gio.

Polo green bottle. Leather, wood, tobacco and a little oakmoss are the fragrances used. It is a sophisticated and masculine scent, you can find it for around 50 dollars. It has been around a long time, but for good reason.

etl

Reaction score
Joel, Thanks for the tip on Scentiments.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by E. Tage Larsen
Joel, Thanks for the tip on Scentiments.

no worries, they really are excellent. A frag-head friend of mine has toured their warehouse in Florida, and I really trust their operation. I consistently find them to be cheapest, though they don't do free shipping, so if you are buying a bunch of bottles, scentedmonkey can sometimes work out to less.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Well maybe I am not that sophisticated after all. NO cologne should cost $200 dollars or more, especially when you are paying more for the name than the actual scent, which you can more or less find similar versions for much cheaper. Until I become a cologne expert, I think I will stick to the famous brands that are found everywhere and don't cost the same as a small TV.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Polo green bottle. Leather, wood, tobacco and a little oakmoss are the fragrances used. It is a sophisticated and masculine scent, you can find it for around 50 dollars. It has been around a long time, but for good reason.

I second this suggestion. Polo green could be very cheap at Scentiments.
polo stores recently started selling it again.
polo Crest is very similar to Green bottle Polo and also very good smell.

I would higly recommend NOT to purchase colognes made by retailers such as Hugo Zegna Davidoff Calvin K, Kenneth Cole Tommy HFiger Dunhill Homedepot MarthaStuart Oprah Bon Jovi.... you get the idea. The reson being these type of fragrances made quickly and cheaply. They dont have good staying power need to be applied constantly and meant to be a seasonal/campaign smell.

Buy something from established brands like Chanel, CD, Lancome, Lanvin, Hermes etc.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO cologne should cost $200 dollars or more, especially when you are paying more for the name than the actual scent,

I wholeheartedly agree that if this is how you see it (i.e. "you are paying for the name"), you've no business wasting that kind of money on it. For your cost/benefit, I think Cool Water is really the best buy.

which you can more or less find similar versions for much cheaper.

But this, alas, just isnt true. If anyone out there can recommend a passable substitute for M7 fresh, i'll happily stop paying the outrageous shipping to get it from the UK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads