• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can You Recommend A Cologne For The "Sophisticated" Man

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to find a "Holy Grail" of colognes, otherwise everyone would be wearing it, and it'd be played out. I don't think of fragrances by their notes, per se, as you'll see from my discussions below, but more by the images or emotions that the scent conveys, to me. This is a personal thing and won't necesssarily hold for everyone, but hopefully my ramblings make some sort of sense. My (slightly more extended) thoughts on some of these fragrances, from light to heavy: Creed Original Vetiver This scent is very light, and very very similar to Thierry Mugler's Cologne, so much so that some people thought it was a rip off of it initially. However, I find it to be a bit more refined, and imply understated elegance. It doesn't last long, and is by necesssity a morning cologne, unless you bring a small bottle to refresh it. I get images of a sunday brunch at the Country Club. If you want something similar, light, but a bit more nautical, Erolfa is a good choice. Creed Green Irish Tweed: Very classic scent originally designed for Cary Grant. Has had a good run, and I quite like this scent. The ambergris gives it a little bit of a kick that not everyone likes, but personally I think this is a pretty fresh, nice scent that has two major drawbacks. 1) It doesn't last at all. An hour after application, this stuff is GONE. For something costing $100+/btl IMO that's unacceptable. 2) Bond No. 9 makes Chez Bond, which is nearly the same scent, but a bit more modern, with more longevity, and IMO all the positive features of GIT. IMO, if you want a scent with the panache of GIT but without its shortlivedness, Chez Bond is a good choice. The other choice that I would recommend if you like this particular cologne is: Creed Millesime Imperial Two scents come to mind when I think of wealth, power, and influence. They are Creed Millesime Imperial, and Chanel Platinum Egoiste. Both have some amount of citrus overtones and are fairly light, but Millesime Imperial has a bit more sophistication and refinement IMO, and is more European nobility than Wall Street. This scent also doesn't last as long as some, but isn't as bad as its relative, Green Irish Tweed, IMO. Yves St. Laurent M7 I've owned, and then sold M7. It's a great scent, and I love some of its attributes, but in the end, it just doesn't work for me. Some of the overtones are great and I love the scent once it has dried down, but the initial scent immediately after spraying just isn't me. However, YSL released (in Europe and Asia) the "summer" version of this scent, which is my all time favorite cologne: YSL M7 Fresh M7 Fresh is basically M7 without some of the heaviness and additional citrus. This makes it a bit lighter when first applied (but not to the degree of something like Acqua di Gio, or Cool Water). It still has a little bit of the muskiness of the initial M7 without being heavy or cloying, and smells similar but not exactly the same as M7 upon drydown. I really love this scent. L'Artisan Timbuktu JC has expressed distaste for this scent and I can understand why. While I wouldn't say it's controversial, I can see why some people wouldn't like it. It's dry and isn't quite as bold as say, Merchant Loup, but IMO it's nice because that makes it a good tweener scent, which has enough longevity to last an evening, but without being overpowering when you might be in close quarters and not open air, read, in a cab, or similar circumstances. L' Artisan claims the scent is inspired by the trade routes of ancient Western Africa and exotic bazzars or some ****, I'm not sure about that, but it's certainly at least somewhat exotic. L' Artisan Merchant Loup Literally translated, I'm told this means Big Bad Wolf, and this scent is more or less that. Powerful and strong, this is certainly a masculine scent, but it is fairly refined as well. I think this scent works quite well with my body chemistry and I use it as an evening scent quite often, as long as I won't be in tight quarters, as it is quite powerful. Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver This isn't your typical vetiver. In fact, it couldn't be further from Creed's Original Vetiver. Powerful, with some clear vetiver overtones, but also a dark, sullen, presence, that makes it magnetic in the right circumstances (read, open air club) but clearly situational. Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum Now, this certainly isn't a scent for everyone, especially those shy of strong fragrances. This is very exotic, sort of a kind of smell you might find if you made your way into an African spice market and someone spilled a few pots of frankenscence or myrrh on the ground when you entered. I find this scent to be situational, but potentially very magnetic in the right circumstances.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Joel,

Maybe I should have clarified further, but I am not actually looking for a cologne that gets the chicks. I am married first of all, but secondly - I meant that I was looking for a cologne that women have been known to say they really love on a man.

So ultimately I am looking for a cologne that fits that description but that also fits the description of being suitable for business meetings and job interviews, when you want to show what a classy guy you are and impress them.

By the way, I am sure there are some shoe loving people on the Men's Clothing forum - that will tell you exactly what is the best shoe. From the best hairstyling product to the best button down shirt, everyone has an answer on this forum. I just wanted a list of those responses to try first, because there are thousands of colognes out there.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Joel,

Maybe I should have clarified further, but I am not actually looking for a cologne that gets the chicks. I am married first of all, but secondly - I meant that I was looking for a cologne that women have been known to say they really love on a man.

So ultimately I am looking for a cologne that fits that description but that also fits the description of being suitable for business meetings and job interviews, when you want to show what a classy guy you are and impress them.

By the way, I am sure there are some shoe loving people on the Men's Clothing forum - that will tell you exactly what is the best shoe. From the best hairstyling product to the best button down shirt, everyone has an answer on this forum. I just wanted a list of those responses to try first, because there are thousands of colognes out there.

Unfortunately, like clothing, colognes are fairly personal things, and depend highly on your body chemistry, so something that women would find nice on one guy would smell horrendous on another. That said, the list you've gotten so far is pretty good, although most of the colognes on it are fairly pricey.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife has liked the Truefitt & Hill 1805, which I often wear... And The Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood. If sprayed in moderation they can be subtle, too. I don't usually wear any of my other colognes anymore.
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Unfortunately, like clothing, colognes are fairly personal things, and depend highly on your body chemistry, so something that women would find nice on one guy would smell horrendous on another. That said, the list you've gotten so far is pretty good, although most of the colognes on it are fairly pricey.
I agree. You will need to test each one out for yourself. Try some samples first, especially for the pricier ones...

Hey Man

Reaction score
Drizzt,

Thank you for the extensive response and review. So out of the ones you listed, which would be your must have. If you had to impress in any circumstance - which one would you probably go with?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Drizzt, Thank you for the extensive response and review. So out of the ones you listed, which would be your must have. If you had to impress in any circumstance - which one would you probably go with?
It depends. I usually wear MI or CPE for business meetings, M7 Fresh for daily wear, and for going out it depends on my mood, it's situational. I don't have a go-to cologne, but if I could only own one, it might be M7 Fresh or B9 CP. I don't have as many fragrances as I used to but I still probably have 50+

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, the closest ill get to cologne is some real bay rum aftershave.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Drizzt,

50+???? Wow. Well you certainly have an extensive list to choose from for any occasion and I understand why it might be hard for you to pick your desert island cologne. And here I thought a man only needs 2 or 3 colognes.

1. One fancy.

2. One more casual.

3. One that fits both needs.

I was wrong.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can... but I find it nice to have colognes for each occasion. Were I to choose four colognes total (that would be the min for me), I may go with:

Creed MI
YSL M7 Fresh
B9 Central Park
Armani Mania

with the latter being for nights out.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
Angel Men (Thierry Mugler) - This one is also unique. It reminds me of dessert. Chocolaty and spicy. I go hot & cold on this one, but it always seems to elicit a positive reaction from those around me.

I couldn't believe how girly of a name it was while at a Sephora with the ex but tried it and was surprised how much I liked it and similarly, how others like it as well. Definitely unique as you said.

My flavor of the month has been RL's Double Black. I found RL Black to be a bit too generic but really like Double's complexity although it's received some mixed reviews on basenotes. I wear it daily.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please refer to the TM fragrances as A*Men and B*Men. Thank you. That is all.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Wow...I wandered in here out of curiosity - it was like opening that old closet in your basement you'd totally forgotten about and finding it lined with 18th century manuscripts on cricket or a collection of antique maps of the Nile...just totally bizarre knowledge I never knew existed! And while I feel I may be about to invite this:
snuffxdotcomstfunoobpu3.jpg
Every time I wear Curve I get ladies(college and grad-school age) complimenting me and saying I smell nice. Even in front of my girlfriend!! YMMV.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Please refer to the TM fragrances as A*Men and B*Men. Thank you. That is all.

A*Men in Europe. Angel Men in US, Canada & UAE. B*Men everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads