• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Reaction score
What style of jeans is best for my body type :

5ft 9 in , 150lbs , 30" waist (at my navel), 31" inseam , 22" thighs , 15" calves , foot size us 8.5 / 9

I tend to buy blindly online so any help here is much appreciated. I'm currently wearing apc ns in a 29" waist (i wouldnt size down more than 1 on these) and ssds. Both seem to look fine but i could do with more in my rotation

I forgot i also have 5ep lowdown boot but i have no idea what type of footwear looks good with these. Any suggestions ??

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
plain.gif

If who cracks a joke, and nobody laughs, was it ever really funny?

I give this thread only a few more hours until the signal:noise ratio matches that of the forum.

musicboohoo[1].gif

Don't you have syrup to drink or something right about now?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Shush your mouths ladies!

When I say sizing down, I do not mean sizing down from your true waist size. If I sized down 2" from my true waist size, I'd be wearing 30s in New Standards, and as I noted, those are too big. The right size for New Standards for me (snug but not pulling/bruisingly tight) is 29, which is sized down 3 from my TRUE WAIST SIZE, but not from my normal denim size (which is average 29). Note that this makes them pretty loose in the leg - not at all a skinny fit. However, that's how they *should* fit on my body type. To get the skinny sillhouette, I have jeans like Nudie Long Johns, Johnbull SC008s, and Women's jeans.

I think the language disconnect is the issue. I may have made the mistake of comparing your APC size to your normal denim size. Most of my jeans are size 29 and measure out 32" or so around the waist. My Rag&Bones are 30, and my Johnbulls are 28s, so there are some outliers. A size 29 APC NS fits me nicely in the waist. From your true waist size, 3" down would be the best way to go. But from your normal denim size, 1 size down is enough to accomodate for the weird sizing.

I never accomodate for stretching because it's just unavoidable and impossible to conquer.

Have you guys been referring to sizing down from your true waist size? I guess I may be in the minority, but when I think sizing down, I think as compared to your normal denim size. I.e. I normally wear 29, but size down for extremely large-sized jeans (Johnbull SC008s, which measure 31.5" at size 28), or size up for smaller-sized jeans (Pure Blue Japans, Levi's).

I appreciate the humor, but keep it clean for at least a couple pages.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
musicboohoo[1].gif

Don't you have syrup to drink or something right about now?

Funny story, my girlfriend recently placed an order for 4L of maple syrup from some guy in Quebec. Where else but Canada does somebody need 4L of maple syrup?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sooooooooooooooooooooooo

does anyone know any sizing info for New Cures in size 34?

Waist Measurement, Rise, Thigh measurement, Knee measurement, Hem both new and after being worn? Are these made of the same material as Rescues and New Standards?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Funny story, my girlfriend recently placed an order for 4L of maple syrup from some guy in Quebec. Where else but Canada does somebody need 4L of maple syrup?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Good grief, four litres. That is just scary
wow.gif
. Nutty Canadaland people
wink.gif

Now, my ID10T question: for anyone who has actually either tried on or preferably owns both the SD 103 and SD 105, are the measuments/fit similar from the knee upwards? The charts and tables and silhouette comparisons over at various Rakuten shops et al do not quite give me the info I am looking for. There is lots of info here and at SuFu on getting the size right on the 103s but while I know people own the 105s, there is almost nothing on those
confused.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Good grief, four litres. That is just scary
wow.gif
. Nutty Canadaland people
wink.gif

Now, my ID10T question: for anyone who has actually either tried on or preferably owns both the SD 103 and SD 105, are the measuments/fit similar from the knee upwards? The charts and tables and silhouette comparisons over at various Rakuten shops et al do not quite give me the info I am looking for. There is lots of info here and at SuFu on getting the size right on the 103s but while I know people own the 105s, there is almost nothing on those
confused.gif

I own the D1002, which is the LHT equivalent of the 105, and had in my possession for a short while the 103. The 103 was slightly tighter in the waist (barely perceivable) but were considerably looser through the seat and thighs (more of a '47 cut, though very slim for a repro styled cut). The top block of the D1002 (and 105) is considerably slimmer and cut narrower. At the knee, the D1002 is considerably slimmer.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I own the D1002, which is the LHT equivalent of the 105, and had in my possession for a short while the 103. The 103 was slightly tighter in the waist (barely perceivable) but were considerably looser through the seat and thighs (more of a '47 cut, though very slim for a repro styled cut). The top block of the D1002 (and 105) is considerably slimmer and cut narrower. At the knee, the D1002 is considerably slimmer.

Interesting. Damn it. Makes sizing all the more complicated. So while the waist is barely narrower it sounds like instead the arse region will be my problem, heh. IIRC someone mentioned that the D1002's have a looser weave that stretches more than the conventional SD105, no?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do hipsters fit like new standards except for the rise?

touchthesky

Reaction score
Are drkshdw jackets true to size? For reference, I'm about a slim 38 in in the chest, and was wondering if a medium was the way to go.

seb

Reaction score
If I wear a white shirt under a raw denim jacket, will I soon be wearing a blue shirt?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seb
If I wear a white shirt under a raw denim jacket, will I soon be wearing a blue shirt?

I'm going to say "maybe".

Try it with a really cheap white Hanes undershirt. If you can pull this cmf-esque look off, the blue denim stains on the white undershirt will look badass. They'll probably come out in the wash though unless you wear the same shirt everytime you wear the jacket.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add a last word to brian's post, from what I gather from my pants/jeans and a couple friend's "true waist size" is usually around 2 inches bigger than tagged size.

for example my waist is 34", but all my pants are size 32" and 31" waist.

I'll ask:
Do brian and LAguy have any pics of them in their APCs?

and

Get Smart: what LCVs do you wear? There are so great looking pants you have in the WAYWN that you identify just as "LVC", what kind are they?

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
There have been some great discussions here (the Ann D/Cloak/Carpe thread comes to mind)
bigstar[1].gif
Thank you, thank you! BUT -- a question of my own... RRDS is the nicest jean that I own. I also enjoy my 5EP Low Down Boot resin, but I prefer the lower rise (around 10") on the RRDS. As you can see, I like somewhat relaxed fitting jeans. Both are boot cut, but that's not necessary. I have a pair of APC NS cords and love them, but I'm not interested in wearing something that slim every day. So, needs to be more relaxed than APC NS. For my next purchase, I'd like to buy dry selvedge...the 5EP's weren't raw and breaking them in is great, but I want to break in another pair of raw jeans. So: - 10" rise or so - somewhat relaxed fit. - dry, selvedge Imperial and PBJ 003 look to have too high a rise, same with KMW 2010. KMW 1980 looks a little too tapered around the ankle. Johnbull SC-005 might work, but it's not selvedge, and I've been able to noticeably discern the difference between the two types of denim. What am I buying? Which jeans fit this? Brand really doesn't matter, as long as I can get this fit right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics