• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champions League Last 16.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
'Twas the fiesty Mancs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

From what I have seen on TV and heard from eyewitnesses,Utd fans suffered several attacks on the way to the stadium inc one fan being stabbed(at least in England its good old fashioned fisticuffs)
tounge.gif
. Once inside the stadium after the sending off and then the goal,missiles started raining down on the Utd fans.The Utd fans then retaliated and got the **** beat out of them by the police while the Roma fans watched on with glee.
Of course having not been at the game I will probably never know what went on and I imagine the reports in the Italian press will blame the Utd fans however we have not had a hooligan problem at domestic level for many years.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pictures are being played over and over on the news and it makes bizarre viewing.The Utd fans are getting beaten by the police while the Roma fans continue to rain missiles on them unchallenged.It does show the Utd fans rushing at the fence so they are not completely without blame.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, safe home everyone. Not sure it going to turn out that way. No excuses here for Roma's mental cases, but the Carbinieri are not to be fucked w/. Given the death last month of the policeman before the Sicilian derby, I would imagine the cops are 'on edge', to put it mildly. I have only attended a handful of matches in Italy - depending on the staium, segregation can vary, but it is unheard of for fans to be seperated by only 'a thin blue line', which was often the case (back in the day, I think) at English grounds. Perspex at least. Often visiting supporters will have a wide section of empty seating on either side of them. Not uncommon for visiting supporters to be 'protected'/hemmed-in by police lines on each side. Insults and missles are routine. Charge OB and you've bought yourself some trouble. Let's hope no one's seriously hurt.

We'll miss Perotta next Tuesday....
frown.gif

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, safe home everyone. Not sure it going to turn out that way. No excuses here for Roma's mental cases, but the Carbinieri are not to be fucked w/. Given the death last month of the policeman before the Sicilian derby, I would imagine the cops are 'on edge', to put it mildly. I have only attended a handful of matches in Italy - depending on the staium, segregation can vary, but it is unheard of for fans to be seperated by only 'a thin blue line', which was often the case (back in the day, I think) at English grounds. Perspex at least. Often visiting supporters will have a wide section of empty seating on either side of them. Not uncommon for visiting supporters to be 'protected'/hemmed-in by police lines on each side. Insults and missles are routine. Charge OB and you've bought yourself some trouble. Let's hope no one's seriously hurt.

We'll miss Perotta next Tuesday....
frown.gif

It is reported here that three Utd fans were stabbed and 18 hospitalised.If scenes like that were seen in an English stadium coupled with the violence outside the ground we would be ripping up our passports for another five years.The double standards stink,it seems in Italy,Turkey,Spain etc..anything goes but you only have to fart in an English stadium and UEFA are all over us.

Anyway back to the football,I am already excited for Tuesday it is perfectly poised and should be fascinating.As for predictions I am not optimistic we will go through as our squad is down to the bare bones and with Scholes suspended its a massive blow.
Roma v Bayern
Valencia v Liverpool
are looking like the semi finals but there will not doubt be a few twists and turns yet.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
It is reported here that three Utd fans were stabbed and 18 hospitalised.If scenes like that were seen in an English stadium coupled with the violence outside the ground we would be ripping up our passports for another five years.The double standards stink,it seems in Italy,Turkey,Spain etc..anything goes but you only have to fart in an English stadium and UEFA are all over us.
Anyway back to the football,I am already excited for Tuesday it is perfectly poised and should be fascinating.As for predictions I am not optimistic we will go through as our squad is down to the bare bones and with Scholes suspended its a massive blow.
Roma v Bayern
Valencia v Liverpool
are looking like the semi finals but there will not doubt be a few twists and turns yet.

You sound like a Romanista! Roma have long felt themselves the victim of a double standard on the domestic front in the context of prefernetial treatment recieved by the northern 'monied' clubs. They've regularly (and usually justifiably) felt the wrath of UEFA over the years, mostly in the form of forfeited matches and playing behind closed doors or at neutral grounds. Is UEFA investigating yesterday's incident?

Tuesday should be a cracker! The away goal is huge....Attachment 3334

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like the boys from WHL had trouble controlling themselves in Spain last night. Bad timing in view of ManU's protestations...

Here's the Italian authorities' take on Wednesday's violence:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

Spurs representatives are blaming the police again.In one incident a Spurs fan was beaten from his wheelchair although there are no definitive reports I have read that say exactly what sparked the trouble.The police in both games seemed to be itching for a ruck.
Going back to the Utd game I personally feel the Italian authorities are embarrassing themselves by suggesting they did nothing wrong.There is video footage of a middle aged Utd fan with a £300 digital camera around his neck getting hit with batons approx 12 times while he is on the floor.Now if I was going out looking for a battle with the cops I wouldn't be wearing an expensive camera round my neck.I would probably have a baton,a crash helmet and a scarf round my face..oh just like the Ultras pictured outside the ground on Wednesday.
smile.gif

We all know that English fans are not saints but I do feel(and I think the video evidence backs it up) that the Utd fans were virtually blameless on Wednesday.
Although UEFA are masters at not seeing whats under their noses and will surely hit us with a fine again like they did against Lille.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No comments from me - not being there, I've got no intention of passing judgment on the lager louts, the spoiling-for-a-fight coppers, or those self-centered f#@&ers in the Curva Sud who have brought us so much shame over the years.

On to the football - picked up a win over Catania down in Lecce this afternoon. Must remember to check the Premiership results
smile.gif
The last few days I've amused myself reading some of the redcafe forum entries...
laugh.gif

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No comments from me - not being there, I've got no intention of passing judgment on the lager louts, the spoiling-for-a-fight coppers, or those self-centered f#@&ers in the Curva Sud who have brought us so much shame over the years.

On to the football - picked up a win over Catania down in Lecce this afternoon. Must remember to check the Premiership results
smile.gif
The last few days I've amused myself reading some of the redcafe forum entries...
laugh.gif

Utd lost 2-1 yesterday.They made enough chances to win the game but looked absolutely shattered after playing with 10 for an hour in Rome.With the current injuries we have the team is virtually picking itself so there is no chance to give anyone a rest.Another concern is that Van Der Sar has been at fault for the last 3 goals we have conceded(1 in Rome,2 yesterday)I hope he is not having a crisis in confidence at this crucial stage of the season.
I know Roma won but some stats I saw said Catania had 18 shots,so were Roma slightly lucky or are the stats skewed?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't watch the match as I had matinee tickets to a Goldilocks and the Three Bears puppet show...
plain.gif
18 shots seems quite high, no? I'm not really much of a 'stat' man - how many shots did Roma have?

Matchday nerves have arrived 24 hours early.
crazy.gif
I've read Saha will not be available....

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch the match as I had matinee tickets to a Goldilocks and the Three Bears puppet show...
plain.gif
18 shots seems quite high, no? I'm not really much of a 'stat' man - how many shots did Roma have?

Matchday nerves have arrived 24 hours early.
crazy.gif
I've read Saha will not be available....

This was what I was referring to...

http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/...205974&cc=5739

I heard Saha was out as well.I am really pessimistic about our chances.The crowd can be a bit muted at OT but in light of the events in the Stadio Olimpico I think the place will be bouncing which could help us.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like we had 16 shots (and more shots on goal). I see that Gianluca Curci played in goal and had a fine match. Curci is one of several native Romans in the side, something which (I think) is pretty rare these days, especially with big clubs. How many native Milanos play for Inter do you think?
laugh.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double post, sorry (not that anyone's reading this).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads