• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are people happy with their simmons beautyrest pillowtop?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
God you love to get screwed by salesmen. Zegna pants for $300, Beautyrest for $2500. Did you even price it out with 1-800-Mattres?(leave off the last "S" for savings!).

As to the longevity, any decent mattress will last you at least 10 years, flip it every 2-3 years. Mine (Stearns and Foster) last a lot less, but I'm a sexual dynamo so that attributes to their demise.

I don't think he got screwed, on a price-basis anyway. I got mine through a senior VP at the company and I paid factory cost, which ended-up being ~$1300. I saw the one I have at the Linen Chest for $3200. The Blacks are considerably more expensive although I think there's no extra value in them. And these beautyrests are no-flip mattresses btw.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Racist.

laugh.gif

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, nice ed.
wink.gif

I didn't get screwed - they tried though. Took about an hour of wittling to get 'em that low - it should be 2500 - 5% for the bed and the box springs.

I wish I could get the same model for 1300 - that'd be ******* fantastic.

ABSOFUCKINLUTELY I got burned on those Zegna pants. It was almost like a bait and switch. That will never happen again.

ColinzDad

Reaction score
GQgeek,

How is your Rosalyn mattress holding up? Any problems with it yet?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get the Rosalyn reference, but the mattress is holding up well. I've only had it for just under a year though and I'm not a heavy guy so YMMV.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the Rosalyn, and it's holding up just fine. Still not sure whether or not I liked my Sealy more, however.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own Simmons Beautirest Firm and that junk already (after 5 years) developed sagging. Despite the memory-foam mattress pad and the fact that I weight only 165lbs.
I would not buy another one.

1800-mattress ftw

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I own Simmons Beautirest Firm and that junk already (after 5 years) developed sagging. Despite the memory-foam mattress pad and the fact that I weight only 165lbs.
I would not buy another one.

1800-mattress ftw

if it's sagging more than a certain amount it is covered by warranty and they will replace it. I was worried before I bought mine because i saw wildly varying reviews. I wonder if some people aren't just ridiculously picky. Springs will always sag to a certain degree. My father had a Sealy and it lasted 2 years. Simmons is generally better regarded than Sealy.

They also make the mattresses for both the W and Westin hotel chains and those beds have been extremely popular. Given the high ratings generated by the mattresses, I can't imagine that it is a general QA problem relating to all simmons mattresses.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allow me to disagree. I owned a few peaces of well-made furniture in my life. Namely sofabed that was over 70 years old. It had no body impressions on it despite the fact that I slept on it for many years while in HS and in college.
The reason Simmons has lousy quality and lousy warranty is : they make disposable ****. There is no incentive to Simmons to make anything that last long and made well.
If you set on buying Simmons buy extra firm and then add memory foam pad on top.
That way it might last you may be 10 years or so.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
World Class Exceptionale Crown Jewel

Lol, why are they so modest about their product?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if Sealy and Simmons are ****, then what is good?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a thread recently that named a number of European companies (and one based out of Cali, if I recall) that make 9k+ mattresses. Perhaps they are the Kiton of the mattress world?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
So if Sealy and Simmons are ****, then what is good?

+1. Certainly not those memory foam mattresses.

Originally Posted by kronik
There was a thread recently that named a number of European companies (and one based out of Cali, if I recall) that make 9k+ mattresses. Perhaps they are the Kiton of the mattress world?

These are just high-margin products that are no better than regular beds with a nice fat import duty tacked-on. Simmons has started to do the same thing with their Black label. The black label beds are no better than the next-lowest tier. It's just a bunch of marketing. They put token amounts of cashmere and other luxury materials into the mattress and set the price 50% above their other mattresses.

There is absolutely no argument that you can make that will convince me that adding a bit of cashmere to a mattress is going to make the slightest difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads