• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored Clothing Widely Considered Gay

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Naked_Cowboy_In_Times_Square.JPG

laugh.gif
[/quote]

From your personal collection, no doubt
plain.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
I know this guy who has like five pairs of shoes! I am sorry but all a man should have are some sneakers, flip flops and maybe a pair of black dress shoes. Anything more than that is just gay.

Portnoy is a raging queen by that definition.
bounce2.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
While this thread is not about shoes per se, I note that the shoes worn with the posted ensemble are brown suede. Suede is supremely gay.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
While this thread is not about shoes per se, I note that the shoes worn with the posted enseble are brown suede. Suede is supremely gay.

Damn Lumberjacks are gay too:
48lzz1f.jpg
laugh.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While this thread is not about shoes per se, I note that the shoes worn with the posted enseble are brown suede. Suede is supremely gay.

It'ss because it'ss ssoo sssoft.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You probably have a GAY Velvet Sportcoat too with your little suede shoes
tounge.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Damn Lumberjacks are gay too:
48lzz1f.jpg
laugh.gif

That's really disturbing.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That's really disturbing.

laugh.gif

Urologists use that picture in presentations all the time. Twisted Lot.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
People wearing that suit in the first pic Manton are so gay, they might as well play jazz flute.

vonwotan

Reaction score
Hmmm... You seem to have described the mainstays of my wardrobe, and I am currently shopping for another pair of brown suede bals... How ever will I break it to my girlfriend? More than six years together an me gay that whole time!

Had I known this earlier in life I might have saved myself quite a lot of trouble and, perhaps, money.

As with the OBTC thread, I present you with a near perfect storm. If the ensemble is (as Freud would say) "overdeterimined" to look gay, that is not because I am trying to stack the deck, but merely because I want to be sure that the point gets across.

The suit is not solid. This in itself is not gay. But the only proper non-gay pattern is a pin stripe. Nailhead is gay. Windowpanes are gay. Double windowpanes are way gay. Double dot windowpanes are gay, gay, gay. Nailhead with a double dot windowpane is just FLAMING.

The vest is gay. "What?!" you say, recoiling in horror and disbelief. But I am afraid so. Real MEN do not wear vests. Ask yourself this: When was the last time the vest was widely popular? Answer: the late 70s and early 80s. What did the catalogue models who wore them look like? Wild, wavy hair, handlebar moustaches, suspicious twinkles in their eyes, big bright smiles. I.e., gay. That association has stuck, and it will never go away. In fact, that's why the vest is dead. To breeders, anyway.

SB peak: oh so swish. It may have been a hetero favorite in the '30s, but that was back when even Noel Coward was in the closet. Since the homos came out, they have taken it over. MEN wear SB notch. The width of the lapel is especially gay. We all know that gay guys (except maybe the buffed Chelsea boys) have to compensate for their essentially girly nature. It's similar to the way middle aged underendowed guys buy extremely expensive, extremely fast cars. Gay guys get wide peaked lapels. This is so well known I really didn't even have to mention it.

The only thing gayer than a pink shirt is a lavender shirt. The high collar is reminiscent of Oscar Wilde; need any more be said about that?

Purple used to be the color of royalty. Now it is the color of homosexuality. Purple ties are in fact a secret sign. That's how they communicate with each other. The bold woven pattern is just icing on the cake. As we all know, subtlety is lost on gays. Dimples, as noted in a prior thread, are gay. Even gayer is to skew the dimple off to one side a little. A centered dimple is the hallmark of a nerd, and everyone knows that nerds are not gay and gays are not nerds.

Finally, the pocket square. This in and of itself is gay. Real MEN do not stuff dainties into their pockets. But lavender dainties, with hand rolled edges, an white jaquard overplaids? I don't even need to make a case against this. I note in closing that this specific pocket square has been denounced by the President of the United States.

If I am wrong about any of this, I will accept corrections from mack11211. The rest of you breeders can kiss my @$$.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crackup[1].gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I am wrong about any of this, I will accept corrections from mack11211. The rest of you breeders can kiss my @$$.
Called out! Well! With all due respect (not much), your attempt at overdetermination is underwhelming. While some elements send the right signals, others don't. The general effect is not very gay at all, merely dandyish. To me it says "very successful trial lawyer," at least above the pant cuffs. Single breasted peaked lapel coats are quite ubiquitous nowadays, albeit usually separted from matching pants or vests. Most of these are pin striped and worn equally by 'mos and hets. Lavender is a symbolic color of homosexuality but lavender shirts themselves don't communicate much. Lavender or purple ties communicate even less. Wilde's symbolic color was green -- this was the color of his carnation. Other Continental turn of the century homosexuals wore cravats of this color. In the early 20th century, in New York, red was the neck tie color that sent the strongest signals. Suede shoes were just as suspect as Manton says. My favorite example of TCWCG remains this: The too-bold stripe, the giant figures on the tie, and the giant cufflinks are all signalling, even in the context of florid late 40s menswear styling. The current equivalent would be a bodyhugging pinstripe coat, puma speedcats, some overpriced and excessively distressed jeans (especially around the crotch), and a t-shirt with vintage athletic styling and the words "Pitcher" or "Catcher" printed on it. And yes, this is business dress in Chelsea.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Called out!

Well!

With all due respect (not much), your attempt at overdetermination is underwhelming.

While some elements send the right signals, others don't. The general effect is not very gay at all, merely dandyish. To me it says "very successful trial lawyer," at least above the pant cuffs.

Single breasted peaked lapel coats are quite ubiquitous nowadays, albeit usually separted from matching pants or vests. Most of these are pin striped and worn equally by 'mos and hets.

Lavender is a symbolic color of homosexuality but lavender shirts themselves don't communicate much. Lavender or purple ties communicate even less. Wilde's symbolic color was green -- this was the color of his carnation. Other Continental turn of the century homosexuals wore cravats of this color. In the early 20th century, in New York, red was the neck tie color that sent the strongest signals.

Suede shoes were just as suspect as Manton says.

My favorite example of TCWCG remains this:

The too-bold stripe, the giant figures on the tie, and the giant cufflinks are all signalling, even in the context of florid late 40s menswear styling.

The current equivalent would be a bodyhugging pinstripe coat, puma speedcats, some overpriced and excessively distressed jeans (especially around the crotch), and a t-shirt with vintage athletic styling and the words "Pitcher" or "Catcher" printed on it.

And yes, this is business dress in Chelsea.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

atroopan

Reaction score
Wanting to have or ********** with other men makes you GAY. Everything else is moot.

troop

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****: carefree, happy, or bright and showy
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads