• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offensively Bold Tailored Clothing

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
Excuse me but did you and Manton both go to a school that specialized in teaching its students to be rude and disrespectful? This might just be a message board to you but from my perspective it is one that is based on gentlemen's principals and a code of professionalism. Even when I was in public school in South Philly I didn't encounter such unmannerly and abrasive conduct as you have just exhibited.

Gentlemen don't let gentlemen post drunk.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
or, How to Get Your A$$ Canned by Just Showing Up

We have considered Conservative Business Dress. Now it is time to consider the opposite.

I think you can have your ass-canned A LOT faster if you wore that light blue minnis-chalkstripe suit with fashionable accessories. Presonally, I would like to see the reaction to that one.

in addition....you can always wear the good ol' semi-formal garb for some ultra swift ass-whopping...

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Yes, they're the ones who told you not to eat the paste.

Look, everyone here knows the baseline Manton. The affected Manton of the last two posts on what and what not to wear is just that, an affect, which most of the longer standing members appreciate and enjoy.

You have somehow become, and doggedly continued as, the straight man.

So, to answer one of your next questions, let me tell you that

OK, you're a cab.

Wait, does this post indicate I'm the only one who thinks there is only argument of one?

summej2

Reaction score
Tell me what you have, and I'll tell you what to wear.

This would be a scary prospect...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That would indeed be a fine addition to OBTC, but the shirt collar in question is too spread. But everyone should make a note to try that.

Just copy the outfits of Sebastian Flyte and we're done.

bpilgrim

Reaction score
Manton, these post have been awesome!!
worship.gif

As a newbie, the candor is much appreciated. I sincerely nominate them for the Hall of Fame!

I think that a posts going in the other direction would be equally as enlightening and entertaining. Such as what UCBD and conservative business dress elements should be avoided at all costs to keep from looking anal retentive at purely social occasions (i.e. - weddings).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm glad to see you admit that your fancy spread collar is, in fact, fruity.

You are a clown. Pay attention to which thread you're posting in. I've said from the beginning that the collar in THIS THREAD is too spread to be conservative business dress. It was the collar in the OTHER THREAD that I denied was too spread to be conservative business dress.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are a clown. Pay attention to which thread you're posting in. I've said from the beginning that the collar in THIS THREAD is too spread to be conservative business dress. It was the collar in the OTHER THREAD that I denied was too spread to be conservative business dress.

A fruity spread collar is a fruity spread collar, no matter which thread it's in, Mr. Flutter. Or shall I call you Sir Fopling?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one posted any of FNB's stuff. It's offensively bold enough.

nioh

Reaction score
No cufflinks?! Certainly they're a must.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Manton, I offer for your comment and expert scoring:

devil.gif
biggrin.gif

This is what our friends in the military calll a target rich enviornment.

I think, in all honesty, that it requires a new acronym. Remember that line in Schindler's List when Schindler and Stern are talking, and Schindler says that the Germans have promised some of his people "special treatment," and Stern says, "Given the memos coming out of Berlin, I hope you got that wrong" or something like that (because "special treatment" was a Nazi euphemism for the gas chamber), and Schindler gets angry and says "Preferential treatment. Do we have to invent a whole new language?" And Stern says "I think so."

Well, to compare light things to grave, sometimes it is necessary to invent a whole new language. Neither OBTC nor BBTC fits this ... this ... See? Words fail me. We have to invent a whole new language.

Let's call this style, "Plant Bomb in Closet, Scatter Clothes Throughout Room, Collect What is Intact Enough to Be Worn, Get Dressed in Bomb-Shattered Pitch Dark Adjacent Bathroom." Or, PBCSCTRCWIEBWGDBSPBAB for short.

There is no point in discussing the deviations from conservative business dress here; those should be obvious enough even to the K-man. However, it might be useful to distinguish PBCSCTRCWIEBWGDBSPBAB from OBTC. The ignorant and the stupid will no doubt tend to mix them up.

First and foremost, I have to trot out that old sawhorse, "The Rules." OBTC is not about outrageously flouting the major rules. The OBTC dresser piles up misdemeanor violations, to be sure, and perhaps throws in one or two low grade felonies. But here we see several first degree felonies, I would even say up to and including first degree murder, except it seems impossible to believe that this outfit could have been premedidated.

So we have 1) Suit trousers worn with jacket of indeterminate provenance (could be from a suit, but could be odd); 2) Striped trousers worn with non-formal day wear; 3) Ground of trouses is black; 4) Spacing of stripes too wide for scale of the wearer; 5) Color of jacket fine for summer in Capri, maybe, but March in Manhattan? 6) Showing an offensive amount of pocket square.

But the real crime here is the shirt and tie combination. The shirt is offensive in and of itself; the shirt and tie are ill chosen together; and the combination riots against the jacket and trousers. You'd think a trained shirtmaker would have better instincts for this sort of thing.

Shirt: black ground with white dots. NOT a dress fabric; not conservative business dress, not OBTC, not to be worn with a tie, ever. Perhaps it is an old shirt from the wearer's days as the newsletter editor for Studio 54. If so, he should be commended for keeping his shape so consistent since the disco era.

Tie: a fine silver and black Charvet. Wearing that in a business or informal social context would be OBTC. Wearing it with that shirt is just a crime.

Together: Worse than a disorienting optical illusion. Positively blinding.

The combination with that jacket: a great example of the difficulty of pairing black anything with color, and why black has generally been reserved for black and white formal wear. The black just dials up the intensity of the color of the jacket. There is nothing inherently wrong with that color (though, as noted, its appropriatness in the context of the event is questionable). But such a vivid color needs muted accessories: a pale pink, blue, or cream shirt and a conservative business dress tie.

Finally, I congratulate the wearer on being the first known person to disprove the maxim that brown suede shoes go with everything.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tutee
I think you can have your ass-canned A LOT faster if you wore that light blue minnis-chalkstripe suit with fashionable accessories.

It's not that light; more of a postman's blue. Lighter than navy to be sure, but darker and more muted than avion blue. The stripes are bold, but they're still stripes. A double windowpane is inherently bolder than any stripe.

Personally, I would like to see the reaction to that one.
Too warm to wear. The weather has turned. It's hibernating until fall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads