• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts - Alligator, Crocodile, Snake, Eel, Etc.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an Asprey wallet made out of the stomach area of the Porosus. I believe the stomach area is the most desirable because of the small scale formations.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a nice belt from Coach.com for a reasonable price.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a belt made of whale.

It has a very interesting texture.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
Excellent reply JL! The only thing I might add is that there are 3 basic types of these skins:

Big Crocs from Australia/New Guinea and Africa (Porosus and Niloticus)
American Alligator
South American Crocs (Caiman, Panamundo, etc.)

Thanks likewise for the additional information, Ron, especially about the hide trade.

I am under the impression that a fair number of Siamese crocodiles are ranched in Thailand. This species is almost extinct in the wild, unfortunately. I have no idea how their leather compares with other species commonly harvested.

However, I don't know what you mean by "Panamundo." I am not familiar with this term and "Panamundo" is not part of the scientific name of any crocodilian species. AFAIK, the only New World crocodilians with any significance in the hide trade are the American alligator and the Common Caiman. Please clarify "Panamundo," if possible.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's just a fancy name for the common caiman. It would be the only harvestable crocodilian found in Panama.

whomewhat

Reaction score

Left to Right:

Erreghe Black Crocodile - Silver Buckle

Erreghe Black Crocodile - Silver Buckle

Kiton Brown Crocodile - Silver Buckle

Erreghe Dark Brown Crocodile - Gold Buckle

Erreghe Black Crocodile - Gold Buckle​

Demeter

Reaction score
Those are some beautiful belts, whomewhat. RIDER: Fuscus is just a colour. It means 'brown' in Latin, although sometimes makers label their goods as Fuscus, so it ends up seeming like a species of its own. Caiman also just means alligator. There are only six crocodylia species that are suitable for making leather goods out of. This is determined entirely by CITES regulations. Basically, CITES App.II species can be imported/exported with the right permits, whereas App.I species are completely illegal. This info is available here, if anyone's interested: http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml, and here's a summary: Alligator: Mississippi - of course. Caiman latirostris - Mostly harvested in Argentina. This type isn't tanned by any of our tanneries, but maybe it's out there. Melanosuchus niger - Ecuadorian species, but regulation hasn't been established yet, so no one is tanning this one either. Crocodile: Crocodylus acutus - Cuban crocodile. Haven't ever seen this one in high-quality tans, either. Crocodylus niloticus - probably 3/4 of the time, anything crocodile is made out of this species. Harvested all over Africa. The best tanneries usually work with this one. Those erreghe belts are niloticus, without fault. Crocodylus porosus - Harvested in Oceania. Also used by good tanneries. All other species are outlawed. The Alligator sinensis is among those - it's a Chinese species, and isn't harvested anywhere (legally) anymore. Same goes for Siamese crocodile.

Demeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blizzack1
Does anyone have any good sources (affordable, but decent quality) for exotic skinned belts online?

Thanks!

Wow, someone else from Ottawa!

There are some sources online, though only two that I know and trust by reputation:

http://houseoffleming.com/
and
http://aprilinparis.us

Though if you're from Ottawa, there is an atelier in town (disclosure: my company) that makes entirely handmade stuff.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meaculpa
Wow, someone else from Ottawa!

There are some sources online, though only two that I know and trust by reputation:

http://houseoffleming.com/
and
http://aprilinparis.us

Though if you're from Ottawa, there is an atelier in town (disclosure: my company) that makes entirely handmade stuff.

I have belts from both of these and there is an immense difference in quality. I have never seen a belt that comes close to the quality of April in Paris, and the Fleming belt while OK is at least five steps below.

Demeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have belts from both of these and there is an immense difference in quality. I have never seen a belt that comes close to the quality of April in Paris, and the Fleming belt while OK is at least five steps below.

I think even more than just quality, there is a large difference in the type of belt that they make. Fleming makes more of a Western-style belt - just a straightforward strap with a buckle made out of good material, whereas Bea is an artisan, which is reflected in her work.

So it makes perfect sense that they would be worlds apart, but for what they attempt to accomplish, both are very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads